Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep seeing these *istD series models for good prices (often with a lens attached) and wondering if this would make a good "caving/float trip" camera (aka might get wet or muddy). I have not owned a DSLR of this vintage but even the good P & S cameras in the 6 to 8 mp range were capable of great photos. And I understand the CCD sensors can have more of a "film" look to the photos.

I am guilty (and maybe others will fess up also) of looking for more megapixels and more bells and whistles. But back in the day I made some pretty good photos with just a basic all manual camera with really no bells and whistles. I can remember when ASA 400 film was first coming out and then ASA 800 which was super high speed at the time. So even with the not so great performance at high ISO levels and perhaps other limitations I am sure these older DSLRs are capable of great photography and are quite viable.

Anyway just my $0.02.

11-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I keep seeing these *istD series models for good prices (often with a lens attached) and wondering if this would make a good "caving/float trip" camera (aka might get wet or muddy).
Despite not being weather sealed, my k100d and non-weather sealed lenses survived their share of mud, swamp goo, cat vomit, snow, bird poop, frog pee, and light rain. I always made an effort to prevent long term exposure from wet, but I tried not to let that stop me from using it where I wanted to.

For the right price, the oldies could certainly be more attractive as a "danger camera" than the latest and greatest more expensive rugged options. Depends on how you evaluate the risks you're exposing it to I suppose.
11-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #93
Site Supporter

I really don't want to know, but... Frog pee?
11-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I really don't want to know, but... Frog pee?
Sure! Occasionally, during the standard photographic process, treefrogs end up clinging on me or my camera. Their next move is often to leap away and jettisoning a foul smelling stream of urine to make them seem less tasty. The silly frogs don't realize it's not required as neither I nor my camera had plans to ingest them.

At least it's easier to clean up than snake pee.

11-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one. If this one works it would be just the thing for frog pee or cave mud.

shopgoodwill.com - #25920065 - Pentax ist D Camera - 12/2/2015 6:08:00 PM

Those pesky frogs do have a habit of peeing on you when you pick them up. If you get them from the back often they will get it out of their system first...
11-29-2015, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noise reduction software is much better now than when the K100D or *ist cameras came out. I have files from 2005 that I remember being unsatisfactory when I took them, but the RAW files clean up OK in Lightroom 4. The current version of Pentax Digital Camera Utility works with RAW files from those cameras too. It looks like the noise reduction portion of that works OK.

You can even apply filters, scenes and JPG settings from new cameras. I know the DS had very few in-camera JPG settings. You can download Pentax DCU5 as an upgrade, but you'll have to trick it to install without a CD. Search for threads on that.

I put AA lithium non-rechargeables in my DS. The higher voltage marginally improves AF. It is still less than half as fast as my K-7. The batteries are lighter than rechargeables. They keep the clock going so I don't have to set the date when I haven't used the camera in a while.

I installed an aftermarket focus screen on my DS to use manual focus lenses. That way I could afford faster prime lenses, avoiding the high ISO noise issue and AF issues too. I got a lot of practice holding the camera steady too, to improve photos at low shutter speeds.

The K100D or *ist cameras are way more sensitive to infrared light than the subsequent unmodified cameras. I have a couple of Hoya R72 filters that I like to use. The process is a little tricky but interesting.
11-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #97
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The current version of Pentax Digital Camera Utility works with RAW files from those cameras too.
Wow, thanks Dave. Very helpful post. I just tried using Pentax DCU 5 (came with my K-3) to process one of the handful of PEF files from my old K100D Super. Worked a treat. And yes a range of jpg presets is available. This overcomes one of the big disadvantages of the old cameras - lack of software support for their RAW files.

Last edited by Des; 11-29-2015 at 06:46 PM.
11-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #98
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Sure! Occasionally, during the standard photographic process, treefrogs end up clinging on me or my camera. Their next move is often to leap away and jettisoning a foul smelling stream of urine to make them seem less tasty. The silly frogs don't realize it's not required as neither I nor my camera had plans to ingest them.

Whatever you shoot, I don't want to!!

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 10:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Here's one. If this one works it would be just the thing for frog pee or cave mud.

shopgoodwill.com - #25920065 - Pentax ist D Camera - 12/2/2015 6:08:00 PM

Those pesky frogs do have a habit of peeing on you when you pick them up. If you get them from the back often they will get it out of their system first...
There's no scenario I can foresee in which I would need to touch a tree frog, much less pick it up! Hell to the naw!
11-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I'm surprised nobody else has yet asked how a SNAKE comes to piss on your camera.
11-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #100
Pentaxian

My problems in poor light with the K200D were less that high ISO was poor and more that the AF became very inaccurate.

Having poor IQ at high ISOs forced me to learn to use bounce flash and I'm glad it did as it's extremely useful. However, with a flash on top the camera can't use the in-built flash to help AF.
11-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm surprised nobody else has yet asked how a SNAKE comes to piss on your camera.
I didn't want to know about the frog pee & I was right about that feeling. I CERTAINLY don't want to know about the snakes!
11-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Look away, dansamy; look away. What has been seen, cannot be unseen!
11-30-2015, 05:55 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I'm starting to think everyone else leaves their camera in the box it came in, tucked away safely in a safety deposit box at a bank.
11-30-2015, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Pentaxian

I'm starting to think everyone else leaves their camera in the box it came in, tucked away safely in a safety deposit box at a bank.
Heh. My K-5's been around the world a couple of times now (well, halfway around the world and then return) and is pushing 11,000 shutter clicks, so that safety deposit box must be pretty porous! I just don't got slithering in the mud together with other things that go slithering in the mud!
11-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Heh. My K-5's been around the world a couple of times now (well, halfway around the world and then return) and is pushing 11,000 shutter clicks, so that safety deposit box must be pretty porous! I just don't got slithering in the mud together with other things that go slithering in the mud!
So you had the chance to find out what slithering through the mud on the other side of the world was like and didn't take it? Different strokes I guess...