Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
Kei

Photos: Gallery
I was in a similar dilemma but that was between K200d and nikon d40x. In the end I picked the K200d because of the build quality, AA batteries, weather sealing and in-body stabilization. All these put together means the K200d is a much more convenient and versatile camera. I don’t have to baby the camera as if I am handling a porcelain doll while all my lens will be stablized. It will be very handy when going for vacations especially in some remote areas (no more tethering to specialized charger and batteries).

Now that I’ve used the K200d for about 2 weeks I like it even more; thinking this is how DSLR suppose to be like. Just this last weekend I was in Bestbuy playing around with the DSLR demos I found myself putting down the C****/N****/S*** “entry level” cameras almost as soon as I picked them up, they all give me weak and toy-like handling. The cameras feel as if they are completely hollow inside. Lightweight should be a good thing; but lightweight + cheapness is not.

IMHO the Nikon D60 is only the D40x plus a v1.01 update. Most things done by the D60 can be done by the D40x just as good. If I am going the Nikon route my choice would be the D40x not the D60.

Just my $0.02.

06-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

sounds like some camera stores up here in the GTA.
It seems everyone I've talked too, and my own experiences, at a certain chain of orange signed camera stores are pushing Sony cameras hard
06-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is odd, but I've called all the camera shops around me that are supposed to be Pentax dealers, and none of them carry this model. One I talked to said they don't receive stock from Pentax any more, even though they are a Pentax dealer. She seemed to think Pentax was making a big push on the US west coast (!?).

I know there was some panic earlier about the future of the company, but is the relative lack of local support a cause for concern? I know I can (and will) buy online, but there isn't much Pentax presence here in upstate New York.

I suppose I can always take a road trip to NYC or Boston.

EDIT: Speaking of ordering online, has anyone ordered the K200D from Beach Camera/Buydig lately. I emailed them and they said the 200 is shipping with the original kit lens instead of the AL II. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited by DennisH; 06-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

As a user of Pentax, I would of course say the K200D over the D60.

A friend has Nikon (not D60 but D300) and has been very impressed with the colours of the Pentax (no matter which model).

Personally, and I am not being biased here, I would go for the K200D, due for the following reasons:-

1. The aformentioned colour rendition
2. the 11 AF points (the D60 only has 3)
3. The build, The Pentax had a stainless steel chassis, yet, the D60 does not, and feels like a toy camera as a result.

Now personal reasons

4. Pentax, can use any Pentax bayonet lens from the last 30+ years with good results.
5. Can use M42 screw mount lenses with adapter
6. due to above, you can get hold of a serious number of lenses at lesser cost (but sometimes without AF AE - manual only)
7. have AA batteries at your power source, you can get hold of replacement batteries any time anywhere in emergencies - something I cannot to with my K10D

and now one advantage of Nikon

8. You can get hold of a greater range of NEW lenses with nikon fit over the Pentax, but see 4 and 5 above.

Personally I would go for the K200D, but try both and ignore the salesman, and if the D60 is your preferred choice, then that is the one, but I think it might be the K200D. :-)

06-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
This is odd, but I've called all the camera shops around me that are supposed to be Pentax dealers, and none of them carry this model. One I talked to said they don't receive stock from Pentax any more, even though they are a Pentax dealer. She seemed to think Pentax was making a big push on the US west coast (!?).

I know there was some panic earlier about the future of the company, but is the relative lack of local support a cause for concern? I know I can (and will) buy online, but there isn't much Pentax presence here in upstate New York.

I suppose I can always take a road trip to NYC or Boston.

EDIT: Speaking of ordering online, has anyone ordered the K200D from Beach Camera/Buydig lately. I emailed them and they said the 200 is shipping with the original kit lens instead of the AL II. Can anyone verify this?
Yes the K200D is shipped with only the MK1 18-55 Kit lens, as the Mk2 is to cope with the increased IQ demands of the K20D, Its not a bad thing, as the Mk1 is a good kit lens, better than anything that CaNikon can produce. But of course buying a DSLR is a journey, and you will buy better lenses in due course, but as a start, the Mk1 is a good lens. Just trawl around the web stores, to get hold of a K200D if the high street stores are out of stock (here in the UK at the moment I cannot get hold of a K200D nor K20D as they are sold out and awaiting stock - a good indicator of popularity)
06-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Yes the K200D is shipped with only the MK1 18-55 Kit lens, as the Mk2 is to cope with the increased IQ demands of the K20D...
So I wouldn't really be missing out on anything significant, quality- or image-wise?
06-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #22
MJB

MK2 lens for K200D

I just bought mine off Amazon last week and it came with the MK2 lens; $543 US after $100 mail in rebate.

Arrived in two days and I couldn't be more pleased.

Enjoy the day.
06-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, most other retailers are shipping th MKII; that's why I emailed them twice to verify. I live in NY state, so there are a limited number of online companies that don't charge me tax and are reputable. Amazon charges us tax now. Beach/Buydig has the best price w/free shipping and no tax, but according to them they are not shipping MKII.

I'll probably order it anyway. It just kind of bugs me that I won't get the new version, even if its only psychological .

06-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

although the standard shipment is the Mk1 for the K200D, TBH I dont think you will notice much of a difference. The kit Kit lens is already good, whether Mk1 or Mk2, it is just that the K20D has a CMOS 14.6mp sensor which has higher demands over the CCD 10.3mp Sensor in the K200D (which BTW is the same as the K10D). I have had no IQ issues on the whole with the kit lens on the K10D, especially at F8 or above (apart from the usual slight vignetting which you get with all kit lenses - the Mk2 will be the same). So If you get a K200D with the Mk2 bundle, then all well and good, but you won't feel short changed with the Mk1.

Eventually, you will upgrade the kit lens to something higher quality, like the 16-50mm F2.8 DA* or, like me the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX pro lens, but to start with, the kit will give you what you need and more.

Hope this helps
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Dennis,

Hi, I'm new here, so take it easy!

I have narrowed my choices down to the K200D and the Nikon D60, leaning heavily toward the Pentax. Please tell me why I'm making the right decision.

Also, if I have the 200, the battery grip, and the Tamron 70-300 zoom, and the 360 external flash, I'm looking at around 4 lbs. total weight, correct? Is that a huge mistake (literally)?
When I chose my camera a month ago, I was down to 3. The Pentax K200D, Olympus E-510, and Nikon D60. They were all fairly close in price.

I ended up choosing the K200D .

One of the key reasons for eliminating the Nikon D60 from my list, which I did first, was the lack of in-body image stabilization (aka shake reduction). You have to buy stabilized Nikon lenses, which are more expensive. And you won't find many used ones. This drives up the costs quickly when you buy lenses. With the Pentax K200D, as with the Olympus E-510, you can use any lens and get image stabilization.

I scratched the E-510 off my list primarily because it didn't have AA battery support, and it comes with a slow battery charger. You have to buy not only at least one spare battery, but also a quick charger. That drives up costs. And these items will never be useful again when you upgrade camera or for any other device. Also, the K200D uses the same AA NiMH batteries as my flash does, so I only have to carry a single charger when I travel. That's a plus too.

There were also some secondary concerns about focus issues in low-light with the E-510 according to reviews, but I never tried it for myself. The K200D reviews did not mention that.

The K200D is indeed bigger than the rest. Even though I am fairly small for a guy (5'6", 140 lbs) and I have tiny hands, smaller than many women, the K200D still feels right to me. And the weight hasn't bothered me at all.

Here is a list of my reviews on Amazon . My K200D review is one of the latest, dated June 15 (funny, since I rewrote it 2 days ago).
Amazon.com: Profile For Julien Pierre: Reviews
06-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

DennisH,

If they say that, they are switching the lens in the kit box. Buy the camera from Amazon, not buydig. I did, and the kit came with the 18-55 AL II lens.
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. I can save sales tax through Beach/Buydig; that's the only reason I would choose them over Amazon. I'm considering sucking it up on principle, though.
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for your response. I can save sales tax through Beach/Buydig; that's the only reason I would choose them over Amazon. I'm considering sucking it up on principle, though.
Amazon has a 30day price guarantee. If the price is lowered in the month after you buy the camera, you can call and they will refund you. I used that to get the current price. I don't think buydig will do that for you. If you take advantage of this policy, it may offset some of the sales tax you will have to pay. I don't know if it's worth getting the AL II lens over the original.
06-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm no expert on either camera but here are some things to think about:

D60
- No motor drive in body. I think this means no autofocus primes for the D60?
- SR is lens based. (with Pentax you could have a image stabilized Jupiter 9 if you want)
- No weather seals.
- Nikon RAW files only, Pentex has both Pentax and Adobe files available (PEF and DNG)
- Nikon has issues with metering with older, non Nikon lenses (correct me if needed pls)
- Three zone autofocus points (vs 11 with pentax)
+ I might expect the Nikon to better focus in low light, it has an assist light.
+ The Nikon also has predictive autofocus.
- no "pet" mode on the Nikon! what?!!
- combined mechanical and electronic shutter. if this is like the D40, it means your top shutter speed is actually 1/2000, and is electronically "boosted" to 1/4000. this leads to flair effects in bright light and direct sun.
+ I expect the D60's flash control to be typical Nikon greatness. someone chime in here. I know nothing about flashes.

Other questions to ask: Does the Nikon have spot metering, depth of field preview and mirror lockup? Does it have exposure bracketing?

The K200D is not really a "true" entry lvl camera. At the moment, it is the start of the pentax range, but I expect it will soon have a true entry lvl sibling.

Personally, I think the K200D is the better tool.
Also as many others have stated, if you can, try the camera in the store. That was the tipping point for me when I went K100D over the D40. I now use a K10D and LOVE the pentax erginomics.

Good luck in your choice, and I hope you enjoy your photos however you choose!

Eric.
06-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member

DennisH, I couldn't agree more with the feedback you've recieved here. Assuming that you're asking the same question on a Nikon site, let us know what their responses are as I'd be very curious to hear...