Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,128
Not very happy with Pentax service Belgium - Germany

Some time ago, I noticed a problem with the DA* 16-50 (see )https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/21436-af-won-t-lock-da-16-50-occasionally.html.
So, I send both K10D and the lens in for service afther I had a talk with a technician at Pentax Belgium. As they do not deal with the general public, I had to send the items through the local shop where I bought the K10D. This was end of March. Half May I was told the camera was now in Pentax Germany waiting for a part from Japan.
Finally, I got everything back last Saterday. That's about 2,5 months! The note stated the AF mechanism was repared, tuned and tested.
However... The first test I did with the 16-50 revealed the AF still wouldn't lock with the longer focus lengths on long distances! It's as if the mechanism can't reach infinity. When I touch up with the quick focus, it works of course.
To make matters worse, I notice the same problem with other lenses as well although very occasionally. Another zoom lens seems to show this symptom more than my prime lenses when extended (this is the wide end, it's a reversed zoom) but not all the time like the 16-50 where I get it every time.
In two weeks time, I'm leaving on my holliday. There is no way I can get the camera back before this. Guess I'll take it with me anyhow and return the lot to Pentax after my return.

I'm not at all happy with this performance from Pentax service.


ps the model revision number is still at 1.1 (not 8.1)

06-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
Poor you !!!

Maybe you needed to launch a compliant. (because unsatisfactory product + service)

We are not talk about defect this time (even) BUT the basic performance simiply DID not meet the specification.

Please keep us be informed about your case. (at the end, I would translate it onto chinese and post your full story on the Chinese P-Forum if you no objection)

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-27-2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typ
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Agios Dimitrios
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
ps the model revision number is still at 1.1 (not 8.1)
My K10d was sent for servicing in Germany as well. After 7 weeks of waiting time I got it back today, and in general I am happy with the upgrade. However, I haven't thoroughly test it yet to reach to a conclusion but revision number was 8.1.
06-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
It's not fair to your local Pentax, I guess. :-)

My various experiences shown that those problems are associated with design and/or manufacturing faults which none of these your local Pentax service centre could ever cure.

Even they sent my bodies and lenses back to Pentax Japan, the Japan HQs still messed up things and just got it worse for each "repair". So, my advice is to sell those problematic gear and suffer a considerable loss (I did it repeatedly for times already). Especially when the problems persist and time have been running out of.

For my old story, read this:-

A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

Sometimes, I found myself actually not quite sensible for my love on Pentax. In fact, I sent out my above letter in January 06 but got no response. Eventually, I still bought a K100D just to *try* if the problems could go away. Yes, just *trying*, without knowing the chance! In fact, I was almost the first person on the net to tell the K100D has an improved AF over the *ist D series (for what we can see for a 6M camera). Here is the proof and more details:-

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Some time ago, I noticed a problem with the DA* 16-50 (see )https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/21436-af-won-t-lock-da-16-50-occasionally.html.
So, I send both K10D and the lens in for service afther I had a talk with a technician at Pentax Belgium. As they do not deal with the general public, I had to send the items through the local shop where I bought the K10D. This was end of March. Half May I was told the camera was now in Pentax Germany waiting for a part from Japan.
Finally, I got everything back last Saterday. That's about 2,5 months! The note stated the AF mechanism was repared, tuned and tested.
However... The first test I did with the 16-50 revealed the AF still wouldn't lock with the longer focus lengths on long distances! It's as if the mechanism can't reach infinity. When I touch up with the quick focus, it works of course.
To make matters worse, I notice the same problem with other lenses as well although very occasionally. Another zoom lens seems to show this symptom more than my prime lenses when extended (this is the wide end, it's a reversed zoom) but not all the time like the 16-50 where I get it every time.
In two weeks time, I'm leaving on my holliday. There is no way I can get the camera back before this. Guess I'll take it with me anyhow and return the lot to Pentax after my return.

I'm not at all happy with this performance from Pentax service.


ps the model revision number is still at 1.1 (not 8.1)


06-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 102
RH saying he loves Pentax is like saying Paris Hilton is the US ambassador to the UN.
06-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
My various experiences shown that those problems are associated with design and/or manufacturing faults which none of these your local Pentax service centre could ever cure.

Even they sent my bodies and lenses back to Pentax Japan, .......
For my old story, read this:-

A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

Sometimes, I found myself actually not quite sensible for my love on Pentax. In fact, I sent out my above letter in January 06 but got no response. ....

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review
Oooo! NO!

You have mentioned the same problem found on the Marks of my K200d's view finder as well !! :ugh:

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-27-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Again & again
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Sad

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Oooo! NO!

You have mentioned the same problem found on the Marks of my K200d's view finder as well !! :ugh:
So, the design/manufacturing problem remains for years! Actually, five years now! Why Pentax still don't debug it? Is it really so difficult? I just wonder..
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, the design/manufacturing problem remains for years! Actually, five years now! Why Pentax still don't debug it? Is it really so difficult? I just wonder..
Well I do Factory Inspections. I think, several (or many) factors:

1) Did the product(s) Design for Manufacturing?
Production line operator(s) can or cannot "ever" achieve the stated qualities skillfully? whatever they tried? Only the protool type could?
2) Any problems with IQC or QC on production? Any "too much" concession for "passing" the sub-standard parts and/or products?
3) Are the workers well or suitably training? Any brain drainage problem of skilful staff?
4) Did the management care about the voice of customer for the continual improvement? Or just buried their heads to the hole(s).
5) Any Poker Yoke scheme(s) are deployed on the production steps to avoid critical quality problems?
6) Correct fine-tune procedure(s)? (whenever exists)
7) Any in-depth (enough) investigation on the root causes? (or just surfling the surface?)

Etc.Etc.
If not catching up and going up the steam then .... could be washed away.... Very critical for this survival game. :ugh:


Last edited by ckanthon; 06-27-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: as always
06-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,128
Original Poster
I don't see any design/mfg faults...

I never had a problem with the K10D up to the point where I noticed this issue with this one lens. A lens, by the way that worked just fine for my (humble) needs up to that point.
I just wanted to share a less than fine experience I had with the service companies around here.
I don't want to make a statement those companies are worthless since I know from other people the do deliver fine work. I got an unlucky deal and that's it. After all, we are all humans and humans - unfortunately - do make mistakes or sometimes perform lower than their potential. That's a fact.
Am I going to dump/sell my Pentax gear? No way!
After my holliday, it's going back to the shop to be send to Pentax Belgium. I would prefer to deal with them directly but here the Pentax service centre only deals with Pentax dealers, not with the general public.
The only thing I'm not sure about is what I would have to send in: only the body or the 16-50 with the biggest problem as well. I can hardly send in all the lenses.
Any suggestions or thoughts on this matter would be more then welcome!

Anyhow, thanks everybody for your sympathies.
06-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
I see! Good LUCK!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I never had a problem with the K10D up to the point where I noticed this issue with this one lens. A lens, by the way that worked just fine for my (humble) needs up to that point.
I just wanted to share a less than fine experience I had with the service companies around here.
I don't want to make a statement those companies are worthless since I know from other people the do deliver fine work. I got an unlucky deal and that's it. After all, we are all humans and humans - unfortunately - do make mistakes or sometimes perform lower than their potential. That's a fact.
Am I going to dump/sell my Pentax gear? No way!
After my holliday, it's going back to the shop to be send to Pentax Belgium. I would prefer to deal with them directly but here the Pentax service centre only deals with Pentax dealers, not with the general public.
The only thing I'm not sure about is what I would have to send in: only the body or the 16-50 with the biggest problem as well. I can hardly send in all the lenses.
Any suggestions or thoughts on this matter would be more then welcome!

Anyhow, thanks everybody for your sympathies.
06-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 813
Bart, you'll probably need to send in the K10D and the DA*16-50 so that the service center at Pentax Germany can adjust the former to accommodate any problems with the latter. That's been the procedure at Pentax USA service, from what others have posted in the past. (I've had no problems with my K10D and lenses, so good luck with Pentax is surely possible.)
06-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Bart, you'll probably need to send in the K10D and the DA*16-50 so that the service center at Pentax Germany can adjust the former to accommodate any problems with the latter. That's been the procedure at Pentax USA service, from what others have posted in the past.
Yeah Yeah I perfectly agreed with this point.

YOU HAD BETTER SEND BOTH BODY K10d + ONE SET OF LENS TOGETHER for the check.

When they do adjustment they can check both parts together in order to minimize the uncertainties.

You know. I sent my K200d + lens. At the first conversation, the reception girl in the service centre just gave two options: body without lens OR body with lens.

I had concluded that they MUST inspect both together. Otherwise, they checked the body without the lens. Then if you put them together you will still get the combined uncertainty!!!!!! Believe me. In my field, I even needed do such kind of Combined Unceratinty error calculations.

Such error on focus can almost be a certain that they had missed the final fine-tune (body + lens together) !!! Wake up guy. To me, it is almost certain 100% problem in the factory fine-tune. JUST believe me for one more time OK.

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-28-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
belgium, camera, dslr, focus, lens, lenses, mechanism, pentax, photography, return, service, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year! Adam Site Suggestions and Help 75 12-26-2014 12:27 AM
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays... benjikan General Talk 8 12-25-2009 11:10 PM
For Sale - Sold: Belgium; pentax 16-50 * 2.8 jdude Sold Items 3 01-29-2009 08:47 PM
Photographs from trip to Ardennes (Belgium) and Cologne (Germany) (13 photographs) barendvl Post Your Photos! 2 07-30-2007 03:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top