Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I imagine it's pre-production prototypes ... but who knows except for ePhotoZine?

11-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I wasn't considering reviews from other than actual users who own the lenses. Reviews base on one sample of a lens is not as useful as a review from photographers with various expectations and use cases. I regularly check the reviews of the PF database. I look forward to read the reviews of people having already purchased the DFA24-70 and DFA150-450.
11-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem right now is that my wife was shooting a wedding with it and set her camera down with it on and it fell and and damaged the lens so it is "in the shop" right now.
Oh dear! Hope thats not grounds for divorce!
11-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I wasn't considering reviews from other than actual users who own the lenses. Reviews base on one sample of a lens is not as useful as a review from photographers with various expectations and use cases. I regularly check the reviews of the PF database. I look forward to read the reviews of people having already purchased the DFA24-70 and DFA150-450.
I think Adam has a copy and has compared it to the FA 28-80 f2.8 and found that it was sharper with better contrast and flare control.

Pentax-D FA 24-70mm First Impressions Review - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com

I imagine a more full fledged review will follow down the road.

---------- Post added 11-25-15 at 02:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Oh dear! Hope thats not grounds for divorce!
Definitely not.

Actually her professional shooting funds our LBA. It's all fixable, just too bad that it had to be a brand new lens that was the one that got damaged.

11-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I imagine it's pre-production prototypes ... but who knows except for ePhotoZine?
Ehhhhh, even Pentax is not stupid enough to send out unfinshed lenses and have results published online. There is no hint about a pre-production prototype. OK, maybe Pentax is stupid enough or needs a review channel to voice an opinion. In any case this is not a review of the production lens and closer to hot air than anything else.
11-28-2015, 02:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Ehhhhh, even Pentax is not stupid enough to send out unfinshed lenses and have results published online. There is no hint about a pre-production prototype. OK, maybe Pentax is stupid enough or needs a review channel to voice an opinion. In any case this is not a review of the production lens and closer to hot air than anything else.
Actually they did it they sent some lenses for reviews and to some photographers like kenspo. Kenspo showed a few pictures, ephotozine reviewed it and noted for example that the AF was hit and miss.

"Focus accuracy with phase detection could be a little hit and miss, so care may need to be taken, especially when shooting erratic, moving and difficult subjects. The minimum focus distance of 1.2metres is fairly typical for a lens of this type."

While their review of the 150-450 was flawless.

Ironically, Pentax then decided to not release the lens and instead fix it. I don't think that ephotozine could have find that focussing issue if they where just based on specs sheets or didn't got a sample in hands. I don't think neither they have been paid by Pentax to say that.

We can criticize ephotozine but overall the review they did on the different lenses I own tend to match reality.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-28-2015 at 05:40 AM.