Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #31
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Yes, I'm one of those guys people turn to to get their sensor clean. I charge $60 CDN, incidentally, and I usually spend close to 2 hours cleaning the body, mirror box, and then the sensor.
Start a franchise! Think of all those keen photographers now retired who'd happily pick up some money for doing this work. Beats running a home maintenance chain.

Great post @Ontarian50. I am comforted that it not just an amateur like me who often has trouble getting the sensor clean.

11-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I had a customer whose cameras kept getting dusty way more than you'd think they should. He assured me he did his best to keep his sensors clean, and had a blower to "blow it out" every now and again. His old rubber blower was pushing more dust in than he was ever getting out!
That sounds familiar. Also my Digital M rangefinders require increased vigilance when it comes to preventing dust contamination. I have also noticed students of mine who use mirrorless cameras are also have increased issues with dust due to the fact that there is only the shutter blades preventing dust bunnies adn other crud getting onto the sensor.
11-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got the Pentax O-ICK1 today, now to actually clean the sensor...
11-29-2015, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Got the Pentax O-ICK1 today, now to actually clean the sensor...
Excellent - great choice.

Stating some obvious points, here...

(1) Work indoors in the most dust-free environment you can find
(2) Ensure you have good overhead lighting, or even a small flashlight, so you can clearly see the sensor... often, the dust is actually visible to the eye
(3) Work with the camera lying on its back on the work-top, so you have both hands free
(4) After each time you press the gel against the sensor, transfer any dust to the sticky paper
(5) Always put the gel end back inside the plastic cover - don't rest it down on your work-top, or leave it lying around, while you're checking your sensor

Let us know how you get on

11-29-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Several additional points I've learned along the way:

(6) place your camera on a towel or other soft surface to protect the back.
(7) work fairly quickly - additional dust can settle into the sensor as you're pressing the gel onto the pad and leaving the sensor fully exposed.
(8) With some practice, you may be able to work with the camera upright or at an angle tilted towards you, rather than laying it on its back. Less prone to new dust settling in.
(9) Don't be surprised if the sensor vibrates slightly if you press too hard - doesn't seem to cause problems.
(10) You might not need to use a full sheet of the pad. Mark where you last dabbed the gel on the pad with a small piece of plastic or narrow sticky bookmarker.

- Craig
11-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Several additional points I've learned along the way:

(6) place your camera on a towel or other soft surface to protect the back.
(7) work fairly quickly - additional dust can settle into the sensor as you're pressing the gel onto the pad and leaving the sensor fully exposed.
(8) With some practice, you may be able to work with the camera upright or at an angle tilted towards you, rather than laying it on its back. Less prone to new dust settling in.
(9) Don't be surprised if the sensor vibrates slightly if you press too hard - doesn't seem to cause problems.
(10) You might not need to use a full sheet of the pad. Mark where you last dabbed the gel on the pad with a small piece of plastic or narrow sticky bookmarker.

- Craig
These are really good additional points - particularly (9). I would use this vibration as a useful warning of when you're pressing a little too hard

Just a thought... I wonder if turning off shake reduction before doing the sensor clean would stop this vibration from occurring? I'm assuming that's the mechanism causing it to vibrate...
11-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

@bertwert - just dropping in to see how you're doing with your sensor clean?

After much lens changing and use of eBay-sourced black-painted lens adapters, I noticed today that my Q7 sensor had several bits of dust / debris visible in photos. It took me less than a minute to clean it with the O-CK1. It's not quite so easy as doing the DSLR, as the sensor is actually smaller than the gel head, but careful application still allows you to get at all of the sensor with three or four applications...
11-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@bertwert - just dropping in to see how you're doing with your sensor clean?
Havn't got round to it yet, actually just about to do it. Good timing

---------- Post added 30-11-15 at 15:15 ----------

I had the mirror up (in cleaning mode) and the AF light flashes - normal I believe. Then it starts making a beeping noise - like a timer. Is this saying the battery is low? The battery scale shows full on the camera.

---------- Post added 30-11-15 at 15:36 ----------

Cleaned sensor in a breeze, took some photos of the sky and saw that I missed 2 small dust spots - will only take a minute to get rid off

12-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Just curious, how many times can you reuse the Pentax cleaning kit? I watched a video on using it and it seems pretty simple. However, I must wondering if the gel tip will eventually dry out/harden and if you only have the one sheet of sticky paper that will eventually "fill up"?
12-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
how many times can you reuse the Pentax cleaning kit?
Probably close to infinite
will eventually dry out/harden
Don't think that will ever happen
one sheet of sticky paper
A whole book of sticky paper!
12-20-2015, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter

Wet swab is very easy. dont be shy.
12-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #42
Site Supporter