Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

Just bought a DA 50-135--flash help, and returning lenses

Hi all, I just decided to get the 50-135 sdm(Sonic Death Monkey-Jack Blacks band briefly in High Fidelity) it should be here tomorrow. For now it will be paired with my k200d and kit 18-55.

I bought and returned the Tamron 28-75 2.8 because I thought it would suit my style and serve dual purpose as a walk around and portrait lens but it just wasn't for me. I found it to heavy for a walk around and my manual 50 prime I like better for portraits. The Tamron did have a slight ff issue as noted by others on the board.

My flash question. I am a complete beginner when it come to studio photography but I want to set up a small one at home for family pics. I have been researching lighting on the web and came across some instructional videos by the OPUS company link here-

OPUS - Support Videos

They have a two light kit the OPL-M1002 which seems to be what I need.

I don't plan on buying the kit however, just copying it, I plan on getting one monolight and just using a pentax 360 for the front flash. Does that seem reasonable? I haven't purchased any lighting equipment but I do want to get a shoe mount flash and the 360 is in my budget range.

Any other flash suggestions?

PS I have visited the strobist website

06-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #2

My Take on Home Lighting

QuoteOriginally posted by riotsquad Quote
PS I have visited the strobist website
Does that mean that you don't want to go the Strobist route?

My experience using 2 Vivitar 285HVs on lightstands with Gadget Infinity radio triggers has been great. If you are going to use the 360 on a lightstand, you are limited to manual operation anyway. I don't think that the 360 does wireless P-TTL so you may as well go with a more powerful manual flash.
I also use the 285s in A mode on the hotshoe quite a bit and find that they are very accurate. I can't justify spending even on the 360 when there are more powerful units for under $100.
My 2 light setup with convertible umbrellas and lightstands, radio triggers and e-bay 285HVs has set me back less than $200 total.
Another thing to consider is if you are going the mono light route, it is going to be manual anyway, in terms of setting the power.
That's my 2 cents. YMMV