Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Broken K-30 lens mount. What to do next?

I dropped the camera during a lens swap, and it landed at an angle on the lens so the mount broke off. So far as I can tell, nothing else is wrong, but obviously without testing it would be impossible to know.

Camera body

Mount attached to lens

My options are:
  1. Send it for repair. Can anyone recommed a repair service within the UK? Any ideas on prices?
  2. Purchase a replacement body of equal value, so probably either another K-30 or a K-50.
  3. Take this opportunity to upgrade.

If the cost of option 1 is close to that of option 2, then I'd probably go for the latter. The old body has been through >10k shutter actuations, and with a knock like that any other issues might start making themselves known soon. I might opt for a K-50 for the GPS since I've almost never used the flash on the K-30.

Alternatively, I could splurge on a K-5ii or K-S2. The trouble here is that I'm a skint student and would probably have to sell my desktop computer for it. I'd never really considered upgrading until now, so haven't investigated what advantages I'd gain with the newer bodies. Do they have significantly better SR or dynamic range, for example?

Thoughts?

Last edited by clockworkrat; 11-29-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Gory pictures added
11-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lets see pics of the damage.

i have spare parts (from a K-r but the mount ring is almost certainly the same)
11-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

First you'll need a cost estimate to better base your subsequent decisions. On the other hand, this type of incident is ideal for convincing your "minister of finances" that you must replace the camera, in which case I'd go for the K-50 or K-S2 but not another K-30. You could also make a Xmas list ...
11-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Lets see pics of the damage.

i have spare parts (from a K-r but the mount ring is almost certainly the same)
I've added pictures of the corpse to the original post.

11-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
If in the UK try here
Neil
JP Service Solutions
11-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
Hi
If in the UK try here
Neil
JP Service Solutions
Aye, I've sent them a request for a quote already. They're the service centre on the official Ricoh Imaging site.
11-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. There was recent similar case on a K-3:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/306322-h...-got-bent.html

That thread might provide some insight into possible repair schemes.

- Craig

11-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #8

I just saw great deals on the K-50 and the KS-1 on the forum. The price of a repair might be too close to an upgrade.
11-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
I just saw great deals on the K-50 and the KS-1 on the forum. The price of a repair might be too close to an upgrade.
Unfortunately, most sellers on PF are based in North America and I'm in the UK. Shipping and import tax significantly bump up the cost. The K-S1 is a non-starter because I live in Scotland and need the WR
11-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I live in Scotland and need the WR
Really... how's that then.

Sorry to hear your news, time to upgrade for sure.
11-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK so I have seen instances of this posted before. Basically the screws that hold on the lens mount just go in to the plastic body and have stripped out. There are no electrical connections on to the mounting ring, it just holds the contacts in place. That copper coloured piece is i think just a shim. As long as everything is still all there and there isn't something broken/damaged that isn't apparent it's just a matter of putting it back together.
If there is a a repair that lends itself to diy with some eg epoxy this is it.

You can just take the mount ring off the lens in the normal manner. don't drop/lose the screws.

If you're not into diy then try Luton Camera repair, they did a very good job with 2 x K-r's of mine (one mirror box replacement [= full disassembly], one cracked body replace).

Camera Shop, Olympus Camera Repairs, Servicing and Spare Parts, Luton, Bedfordshire
11-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
OK so I have seen instances of this posted before. Basically the screws that hold on the lens mount just go in to the plastic body and have stripped out. There are no electrical connections on to the mounting ring, it just holds the contacts in place. That copper coloured piece is i think just a shim. As long as everything is still all there and there isn't something broken/damaged that isn't apparent it's just a matter of putting it back together.
If there is a a repair that lends itself to diy with some eg epoxy this is it.

You can just take the mount ring off the lens in the normal manner. don't drop/lose the screws.

If you're not into diy then try Luton Camera repair, they did a very good job with 2 x K-r's of mine (one mirror box replacement [= full disassembly], one cracked body replace).

Camera Shop, Olympus Camera Repairs, Servicing and Spare Parts, Luton, Bedfordshire
Well, I tried putting the mount back on with the few screws that still have a home. Happily, the mirror-box is still working, as are most of the internals. Unfortunately, because some of the screws pulled their mounts off the body with them, the lens mount does not stay flush with the body. This means the contacts don't meet. Also, the screwdrive spins uselessly with the DA lenses, and the lenses don't lock.

I may be able to put my manual lenses to use still, at least until I get this thing sent off for repair.
11-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or, just a thought: mount the few screws that aren't stripped, gently glue the rest of the mount together, and mount an M42 adapter on it... now it's your manual-mount camera....
11-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or, just a thought: mount the few screws that aren't stripped, gently glue the rest of the mount together, and mount an M42 adapter on it... now it's your manual-mount camera....
I already have one - an MX.

Can't use my DA lenses on that though.
11-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the mirror box of my dismembered K-r with the lens mount removed. Basic structure looks the same, screws are just self tappers into the plastic frame. You can see more of the gubbins around the mount like the AF/MF button linkages, the locking pin etc.
Basic problem, resetting stripped screws. Even something simple like a bit of tape or splinters off a matchstick might suffice to get some bite. ... sufficient for epoxy to to cure and set.
If you found st like a biro/ballpoint pipe that just fitted the screws (and I was trying something similar with a lens mount modding project, pipe was perfect fit for M1.6 bolts), then you could consider judiciously drilling out screw holes and inserting same to act as new thread... just thinking aloud...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-29-2015 at 04:41 PM.