Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Considering the K200D

Hi. My name is Lisa and here's my story. My 1st SLR camera was the Pentax *ist (film). I had zero experience and always used the auto settings and scene modes. Outside in daylight my pictures were always beautiful, but indoors if I was not right on top of my subject, they had that lowlight yellow cast to them. We bought the camera at the local camera store, so I explained to the man and he sold me an external flash. I hated that I could never take a decent picture without that huge thing. When I decided to go digital in 2006, that lowlight thing was a huge factor. I went with a Fuji bridge camera and never had a problem. I really would like to get another SLR and have 2 lenses from the *ist. (a 70-300mm and a 100-400mm) I would like to go Pentax because I have their lenses, but I'm nervous about the low-light thing. Any input?
Thanks,
Lisa

06-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding the yellow cast:
Pentax cameras do have a little limited auto white-balance setting, probably in order to not screw up the colours too much in certain situations.
But, as we are in the digital world now, you can set your white balance perfectly before shooting, or even adjust it later by shooting in RAW format.
It isn't much of a problem, at least I am nearly not worried at all regarding the white balance. Needs a bit fiddling in bulb lighting, but the auto gets the colours good otherwise.
06-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I appreciate your interest in low light shooting, but I don't think the camera is really the issue. I think you will find that the lenses you have are not "fast" enough for that kind of shooting - at least not indoors. They are also big and heavy making it difficult to handhold low light shots. Even the "kit" lens that often comes bundled with the camera would be more suitable than the ones you have now. You can also set the ISO (sensitivity to light) to 800 or greater for those low light shots. Good luck!