Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think he might have meant SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), not SR. That's my guess.

He is talking about SR, he says that SR will degrade IQ, he is saying that SR will HELP you in some situations when it is more important to save image, and I agree, because I've tested it already, you are not making image sharper with it, it's just opposite.

regards

12-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have to remember it is Shake Reduction, not Shake Elimination...like Red-Eye Reduction, not Red-Eye elmination. Nikon too with Vibration Reduction lenses. Canon is clever in calling it Image Stabilization. And when you don't need SR at all because you're on a tripod, turn it off or else it may actually cause sensor blur.
12-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

No SR is doing the opposite.. it is like a balance on the sensor.. moving up and down, left and right to counter the micro movement of your hands in order to minimize the blur induced by hand holding. I would keep SR on pretty much at all times if hand hold shooting.

The only time I normally disable SR is on a tripod but, if you use the self timer (and I would recommend if shooting on tripod against a landscape), the camera automatically disables SR.

That is to say, yes you leave if off when you don't need it. However, you generally need it at all times hand holding (unless you are shooting fast above the threshold he mentions in the video).

That said, try practicing with it. Maybe you have amazingly stable hands. I once shared here on PF that I can hand hold with SR on at 300mm 1/60th and some claimed I was lying. The general threshold has been recip of the focal length for FF or double for crop (as indicated in the vid) so I'd need 1/600 without SR.
That is to say, my image was sharper with SR on at 1/60th than it would be without it since I couldn't even come close to 1/600th of a second in the lighting situation I was dealt. I suspect in most cases you won't be shooting at telephoto range in bright daylight and thus are not afforded the option of disabling SR when hand holding.
12-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
500mm 1/100 I think SR works just fine.

On another note. The K3ii uses SR for the Pixel shifting feature to get super resolution on static images. The only time SR will degrade an image if you are using a tripod, especially with long exposures.

12-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't it good to turn off SR when panning or tracking as well?
12-04-2015, 01:53 AM   #21
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Isn't it good to turn off SR when panning or tracking as well?
well, this is the case when you really need to turn it on as it helps to prevent vertical axis movement during panning

---------- Post added 12-04-15 at 02:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
On another note. The K3ii uses SR for the Pixel shifting feature to get super resolution on static images. The only time SR will degrade an image if you are using a tripod, especially with long exposures.
Beautiful shot!

agree about tripod, but not fully agree. Say your exposure needs one stop and you can decrase your shutter speed and turn on SR, ok, image will be sharp, but I'm saying that not as sharp as if you leave SR off and open up your apperture or rise iso by one stop. IMHO.