Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 137
Money is going...

So was not able to stand anymore looking at the lowered price for 540 FGZ II and I finally bought it for $362.... Kill me if I deserve :P

As I mentioned in my title, my $$$s are flying out of my wallet and I can't say that it's over, I don't even have just any kind fast lense yet, not saying anything about legendary limiteds. 77mm - ~$670, 31mm - ~$850, 43mm - ~$590 and all of them on sale! Can't afford everything at once

I really needed to help my 16-85 in low light, in other words, take good pictures in low light situations. I was thinking to turn max power and buy 77mm limited instead of flash but honestly, I think that this isn't good idea to use only fast lense continiously wide open to compensate low light and then pray to not see out of focus areas after.

so guys how do you deal with low light?

12-02-2015, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
The 540 II is an excellent flash. Oh, and in the words of a photography teacher I had a while back, 'photography is an expensive hobby, get over it!'
12-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Lev
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 137
Original Poster
My wife will kill me some day
12-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,258
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
so guys how do you deal with low light?
Depends on the situation and the subject.

If it is dusk/dawn and I'm photographing a nature scene, I simply decrease the shutter speed (that is, increase the time -- 1/100 -> 1/4th second) as I'm likely using a tripod and the subject is also likely still.

If it is a person(s) together in a dark spot, I use a camera flash. (learn how to bounce the flash as well as drag the shutter)

If it is a non-flash allowed event or someplace where flash won't reach my subject, I use a faster lens and/or increase the ISO and deal with the potential degradation in image quality. But I don't mind PP (post processing) the RAW image and pulling up shadow/exposure some, so I generally err on the side of caution and don't ramp the ISO beyond 800 if at all possible. Even if that means the image is still slightly underexposed as our Pentax bodies are pretty stout at capturing a large amount of workable dynamic range. That said, some people here will cringe at this concept. haha

12-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Lev
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 137
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If it is dusk/dawn and I'm photographing a nature scene, I simply decrease the shutter speed (that is, increase the time -- 1/100 -> 1/4th second) as I'm likely using a tripod and the subject is also likely still.
Yes I think that one of my next purchases will be tripod, I know that this is unavoidable, but to be honest I hate it, this is just last thing that I want to carry with me. I always want to push camera to its limits and I like to take photos handheld so much. By the way, do you find situations when you set your exposure correctly, time, apperture etc. and your subject moves while you're shooting? instant blur! mostly when shooting kids. I think that this is one of difficult sides of photography, you need to somehow predict your subject's movements and preset your shutter speed. and another thing, when you set proper shutter speed for movement and your subject is now still like a stone...

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If it is a person(s) together in a dark spot, I use a camera flash. (learn how to bounce the flash as well as drag the shutter)
Oh yes I will have to learn a lot!!


QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If it is a non-flash allowed event or someplace where flash won't reach my subject, I use a faster lens and/or increase the ISO and deal with the potential degradation in image quality. But I don't mind PP (post processing) the RAW image and pulling up shadow/exposure some, so I generally err on the side of caution and don't ramp the ISO beyond 800 if at all possible. Even if that means the image is still slightly underexposed as our Pentax bodies are pretty stout at capturing a large amount of workable dynamic range. That said, some people here will cringe at this concept. haha

I shot many pictures at 1600-3200 ISO and I must say that NR works well in post and pictures are pretty acceptable but not as good as < 800 of course. and yes, as you mentioned, I don't know if our bodies are so great but it's no problem for me to make say +1 exposure in post and picture looks just great!!!
12-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,140
Lots of things will help in less than ideal light: Primes. Your K3II with SR. Wide angle glass (so you can use slower shutter speeds). And one trick cinematographers often use is including a practical light source in the frame. You can have a very dark image, but if there is a light source (candles, lamps, etc) in the shot, the image doesn't seem as dark as the histogram shows.

And the key I've found with a good flash unit is to bounce the flash so that it looks more like natural window or skylight.

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need" - The Rolling Stones
12-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Lev
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 137
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Lots of things will help in less than ideal light: Primes. Your K3II with SR. Wide angle glass (so you can use slower shutter speeds). And one trick cinematographers often use is including a practical light source in the frame. You can have a very dark image, but if there is a light source (candles, lamps, etc) in the shot, the image doesn't seem as dark as the histogram shows.
As Edward says at photouniverse channel on youtube, regardless of great SR functionality of this body, don't use it unless it is very very important, because it directly affects sharpness of your image. Based on my experiments I fully agree. I prefer to have underexposed picture instead of properly exposed blurry one, what do you think?
12-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 649
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
so guys how do you deal with low light?
I just bump up the ISO & post process the RAW file later. I'll gladly shoot up to ISO 6400 on my K-50. I do try to use the Pentax 50mm f1.8 at about f2.2 & the Pentax 35mm f2.4 at about f2.8 the most when shooting in low light.

I actually try to avoid flash at all costs. The only time I use it is for effect. I use the "trailing curtain sync" type flash. I also use fill flash on rare occasions.

12-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
As Edward says at photouniverse channel on youtube, regardless of great SR functionality of this body, don't use it unless it is very very important, because it directly affects sharpness of your image.
Not sure I understand that? I shoot 99.9% handheld with my 50-500 Bigma, mostly at slow speeds of 1/200 or below, and without SR very few of my shots would be worth shooting.

At 1/125 handheld @ 500mm, I wouldn't try this without SR.


Surely that guy didn't mean that..did he?

Regards!
12-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,048
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not sure I understand that? I shoot 99.9% handheld with my 50-500 Bigma, mostly at slow speeds of 1/200 or below, and without SR very few of my shots would be worth shooting.

At 1/125 handheld @ 500mm, I wouldn't try this without SR.


Surely that guy didn't mean that..did he?

Regards!
I think he might have meant SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), not SR. That's my guess.
12-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
Lev
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 137
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
At 1/125 handheld @ 500mm, I wouldn't try this without SR.
now try that on 1/500 without SR. It will be sharper! you may will have to rise your iso, or take it little underexposed, but your image will be sharper.
12-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
now try that on 1/500 without SR. It will be sharper! you may will have to rise your iso, or take it little underexposed, but your image will be sharper.
It's a long way from ISO 1000 @ 1/125 and ISO 12,800 in the same light at 1/500. I am betting my money that the shot I got is much better and sharper than the one I would get at ISO 12,800 1/500 without SR? Whatcha think?

Regards!
12-03-2015, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,884
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Whatcha think?
I think you SR 1/125 ISO 1000 photo is probably better...
12-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,775
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think you SR 1/125 ISO 1000 photo is probably better...
Me too!

Regards!
12-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Lev
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 137
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It's a long way from ISO 1000 @ 1/125 and ISO 12,800 in the same light at 1/500. I am betting my money that the shot I got is much better and sharper than the one I would get at ISO 12,800 1/500 without SR? Whatcha think?

Regards!
man are you shooting in complete darkness? 😃 If your photos are better with SR, use it, nobody saying you are doing wrong. I just confirm what Ed says that using SR may be worse if you are already setting proper shutter speed. Ok, in your shot it was REQUIRED. yala 😃
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
77mm, camera, dslr, image, lense, light, photography, sr, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is It Worth The Extra Money?? Fl_Gulfer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 05-11-2011 01:17 PM
Sent my K5 to Pentax here is how it is going. vievetrick Pentax K-5 273 03-16-2011 03:37 PM
Samyang. Is going MF best value for money? Reportage Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 09-17-2010 10:09 AM
Is anyone making money with photography? Tony3d Photographic Industry and Professionals 6 03-30-2010 06:51 AM
Jupiter-9 is here. What the heck is going on in Russia!? jsherman999 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-27-2008 05:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top