Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

It's time for a Upgrade

Hi all,
I'm thinking of upgrading from my K20D to ether a K5 or K5ii, I just want the added benefits of newer tech and better autofocusing, but which one to choose is the
question to you guy's who have either of the camera's.

Thanks
Do

12-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5ii. Hands down. K-5iis if you prefer no AA filter.
12-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are about the same except that the K-5 II has an upgraded LCD screen. The K-5 IIs doesn't have the AA filter on the sensor for sharper images.
12-04-2015, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lens-a-do Quote
Hi all,
I'm thinking of upgrading from my K20D to ether a K5 or K5ii, I just want the added benefits of newer tech and better autofocusing, but which one to choose is the

Thanks
Do
And improved AF. I would go for the K-5 II or IIs, or the K-3 if you can afford it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The improved AF is worth it.
12-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The improved AF is worth it.
If you frequently use AF.
Not everyone does it.

When I bought my first (film) Pentax SLR offering AF, I was a bit disappointed.
At that time it seemed to me, that my manual focusing (MES and Super A) was as fast and also as precise as AF.
And these cameras (Pentax Z series combined with F lenses) had much faster AF than the first and second generation of the Pentax DSLRs.
12-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
I do use AF all the time, I just had a few offers to buy some of the members camera's, I have to think about that if there a good price.

Last edited by Lens-a-do; 12-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.
12-04-2015, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the K-5 and the K-5 II. IMHO the K-5 II is definitely the way to go between those two. But, there are some very good deals on the K-3 right now and I would certainly give that some consideration.

12-05-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi all,

Thanks
Do

Hi Lens-a-do. I went from a K20D to a K3 and have really enjoyed the difference. Going from 14.6 mp to 24.3 mp was a large learning curve for me, but well worth it. From all accounts, all the K5's are good. Good luck choosing !!
12-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
I found a nice almost new K5ii with only about 3000 shot's on it and a bottom battery pack as well for a great price, I was looking at used Canon and Nikon stuff and said no to it because
the prices are just crazy.
12-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had the K5ii and is great.. but if you have the chance of getting a K5iis it will be even better ( no AA filter ).. but if you save just a little more and can get a K3 that will be even better. all of them are great products.
12-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #12

Original Poster
Guy's I received the K5ii today and it's shocking positively shocking, at first it's small but tight and well build but when I put my 24mm f2 *FA on it, it looks and balances
great when I turned it on wow and took the first picture what a difference the camera just takes command of this lens with faster auto focus and it seems to focus it
better at f2 everything seems to look sharper I have not taken pictures outside yet but tomorrow I'm off and will take further test. I also received the battery grip with
it and had it on for a few minutes and it's better more grip which I like. Stay tune
12-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Guy's I received the K5ii today and it's shocking positively shocking, at first it's small but tight and well build but when I put my 24mm f2 *FA on it, it looks and balances
great when I turned it on wow and took the first picture what a difference the camera just takes command of this lens with faster auto focus and it seems to focus it
better at f2 everything seems to look sharper I have not taken pictures outside yet but tomorrow I'm off and will take further test. I also received the battery grip with
it and had it on for a few minutes and it's better more grip which I like. Stay tune
If your'e so stoked on how THAT feels, you should hold an LX or a 67. Just sayin.
12-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
I have and there great cameras as well.
12-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

Original Poster
I went to work today and took my new K5II and wow, it works great the metering is spot on, color, shutter noise is really quiet and with the 24mm lens it excels and the low light
auto focusing really does it magic. In Grand Central Terminal I always take pictures of the center clock and on the older K20d it would over expose it but not the K5ii it's clear
all the numbers and dashes come out, this camera is a keeper.

Last edited by Lens-a-do; 12-17-2015 at 07:54 AM.