Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Flu-card better than expected...

So, I picked up a Flu-card over the Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend, for about half the usual price (maybe a tiny bit more than half)... I've been wanting to try one with my K3 for a while, as I wanted some form of basic tethering. I should say, I have no previous experience of tethered operation, wired or wi-fi. Now, I'd read some quite indifferent, even negative, reviews of the Flu-card, so my expectations were set accordingly. At the price I paid, I figured I could try it out and - if it wasn't to my liking - I could flip it at no loss (maybe even a profit ) on eBay.

Well, I've played with it a little and I'll be honest, so far, I'm quite impressed. I'm using it with my PC running Chrome as the browser. Connection was easy and - for me, at least - seems to be reliable, although the reported signal strength from the card at my PC isn't all that great. Still, with the camera around 10 feet from the PC, it shows a medium-to-good signal, and maintains the connection without any problems. Loading a full size / quality review image is a little leisurely, for sure, but not painful by any means, and the user interface - while very basic - seems quite well thought out.

If I was a pro studio photographer (or if I'd had experience of other wired tethering solutions for other brands), I'm sure I'd find the limitations of the product more of an issue, but frankly, it seems pretty good to me. Definitely a keeper.

I'm mentioning this in case others who are contemplating the card are put off by what they read elsewhere... I'd say, give it a try.

12-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah, lots of complaints out there but it works for me.

Michael
12-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use one with the K-S1 and it does what it's supposed to do. The body itself can HDMI to a monitor if that's what's needed in a studio session.
12-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I particularly like the remote control feature (chrome for windows & android and Safari for Ipad.
Nothing better than sitting in a warm vehicle at night waiting for that right moment or multible shots.
Wish they had zoom control like Fujifilm & Olympus

12-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I use one with the K-S1 and it does what it's supposed to do. The body itself can HDMI to a monitor if that's what's needed in a studio session.
Good point. I've never used the HDMI capability on my cameras... Must give that a try, if for no other reason than curiosity... So, could you use the Flu-card for camera control and casual image view, but get Live View output on an HDMI monitor while composing a shot? If so, that would negate the latency issue for viewing a moving subject... It would also give a lot more detail for confirming accurate AF...
12-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The body itself can HDMI to a monitor if that's what's needed in a studio session
Dont need the flu card for HDMI monitor (TV) hook up just a HDMI cord Mini to HDMI to monitor Live Vew. But you still have to control camera at camera.
For wireless you need a Chrome capable windows or android pad, phone ,computer etc. For Ipad or Iphone you use Safari for wireless.
12-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Dont need the flu card for HDMI monitor (TV) hook up just a HDMI cord Mini to HDMI to monitor Live Vew. But you still have to control camera at camera.
For wireless you need a Chrome capable windows or android pad, phone ,computer etc. For Ipad or Iphone you use Safari for wireless.
No, I get that. I'm using the Flu-card successfully with wi-fi - my question was, can I use the Flu-card for overall camera control and casual subject viewing at the PC, but simultaneously get non-latent Live View via the HMDI output? With a sufficiently-long HDMI cable, that would give me a very capable solution, I think. That said, I'm very happy with just the Flu-card...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-07-2015 at 04:12 PM.
12-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, I get that. I'm using the Flu-card successfully with wi-fi - my question was, can I use the Flu-card for overall camera control and casual subject viewing at the PC, but simultaneously get non-latent Live View via the HMDI output? With a sufficiently-long HDMI cable, that would give me a very capable solution, I think. That said, I'm very happy with just the Flu-card...
Good question, there. I've used both, independently, but never in combination. I'd always assumed, since getting the FLUcard, that being unable to access the camera monitor while tethered via the FLUcard meant that the HDMI output (which mirrors the camera monitor) would also be disabled.
12-07-2015, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

simultaneously get non-latent Live View via the HMDI output
No. I couldn't remember so I just tried it on my TV just now. As soon as you plug in the HDMI cord to the camera on remote a message comes up on the Ipad "This feature can not be used when HDMI feed is being used. I dont believe a wireless remote F type or other can be used either when on flucard remote.
12-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No. I couldn't remember so I just tried it on my TV just now. As soon as you plug in the HDMI cord to the camera on remote a message comes up on the Ipad "This feature can not be used when HDMI feed is being used. I dont believe a wireless remote F type or other can be used either when on flucard remote.
Ah, OK - many thanks for that (and particularly for trying it out - much appreciated). What a shame... that would have been quite a powerful setup! Oh well... as I said, I'm happy with the Flu-card for my own purposes
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I dont believe a wireless remote F type or other can be used either when on flucard remote.
Couldn't leave it alone had to try it. Infared don't work with Flucard . But HDMI alone works with F type and wired remote and of course any exposure changes have to be made at camera.
12-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've had a Flucard for a year now, (still haven't opened it) and cannot find one situation where it would be useful to me. What are you all taking photos of that having it is beneficial? Maybe someone will give me an idea to try something different.
12-08-2015, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I've had a Flucard for a year now, (still haven't opened it) and cannot find one situation where it would be useful to me. What are you all taking photos of that having it is beneficial? Maybe someone will give me an idea to try something different.
One of the situations I'm keen to use it for is photographing birds on a tree feeder in my garden. Most of the smaller birds fly off when I go into the garden, but - and I've tried this - they don't mind the camera and tripod being out there. With the Flu-card installed in the camera, I can sit just inside the house with my laptop, pre-focus on the feeder, then wait for the birds to arrive and take my shots... Of course, the latency of the viewed image won't be ideal for this, but it will be interesting to try it out

I'm also wanting to try out some very low level, wide angle shots, particularly at the coast, using my Nexus 7 tablet as the controller...
12-08-2015, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
  • well an obvious use case is to have your camera hanging by your side (or on your lap while sitting on a bench, or whatever) pointed at someone but YOU appear to be looking at and interacting with your iPhone, so the person being photographed is acting "normally".
  • another use case I've encountered: put your camera on a monopod or tripod, then raise it above a high fence (periscope style) controlled from below.

As a side note: when using the Flucard, I have my iPhone mounted to a Peak Design attachment clicked onto my belt allowing me to use my hands as needed.

Michael
12-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
  • well an obvious use case is to have your camera hanging by your side (or on your lap while sitting on a bench, or whatever) pointed at someone but YOU appear to be looking at and interacting with your iPhone, so the person being photographed is acting "normally".
  • another use case I've encountered: put your camera on a monopod or tripod, then raise it above a high fence (periscope style) controlled from below.

As a side note: when using the Flucard, I have my iPhone mounted to a Peak Design attachment clicked onto my belt allowing me to use my hands as needed.

Michael
That's pretty much how I use mine, except that I walk around with my K-3 hanging around my neck, so I can use my iPhone as a waist-level finder, because it gives a different perspective to photos. I also use the FLUcard for low-level shooting, where it's too awkward to use the right-angle finder. I must have a look at that Peak Design attachment - thanks for the reference.