Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I still use my K-5 alongside my K-3II, and there is no doubt in my mind that the K-3II is even quieter than the K-5.

12-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Which DSLR is the quietest (not mirror less)?
If quiet is your priority, then any camera with a metal focal plane shutter may not be your best choice unless you are willing to invest in a "blimp" as mentioned earlier in this thread. To the best of my knowledge, no camera review Web site routinely measures shutter sound, though most will make note if a shutter is unusually quiet or loud.

Steve
12-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #33

Which DSLR is the quietest (not mirror less)?
Not sure whether it is the quietest of all current DSLRs, but Canon 7D2 in "quiet mode" is less noisy than K3 or K5. There is a restriction on continuous shooting speed in the "quiet mode" though: it can work up to 4 fps, whereas in "regular" you can go up to 10 fps. Still not as quiet as a camera with a leaf shutter - they can be almost inaudible.
12-23-2015, 03:37 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use to shoot Olympus 4/3 cameras. I was really surprised the first time I used my k-5II. It's a lot quieter than any of my Olympus cameras. Now I couldn't tell the difference between the k-3II and the K-5II. If there is, it mustn't be that much.

12-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #35
Pentaxian

You can try getting some sort of camera blimp? I think that's what those covers are called. They insulate noise inside. But it might be difficult to find one that fits the camera and lens just right (especially if the lens changes length during focus and zoom).
Other than muting all sounds in the Menus, you can't do much. But I find that pressing the shutter slowly and gently helps, as animals sometimes don't get startled just by sound, but by fast movement accompanying it.

Pentax flagships are more quiet than the lower tier models. Some other brand cameras are even quieter, but not all. Some Canikon and Sony cameras are very loud.
I have a K-01, which is not super loud. No mirror, just shutter. But I don't photograph skittish subjects..
12-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #36

I'm going to change my observation on this. After shooting my K-3 and K-5 together with the same lenses, it seems that the K-3 shutter is more noticeable than the K-5 after all. I can definitely hear the click/pop sound when the mirror slaps. But then again, a piece of the dampening foam did happen to break off in my camera (see post history). Hmm..

With that said, the K-3/5/7 are all quiet
01-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I'm going to change my observation on this. After shooting my K-3 and K-5 together with the same lenses, it seems that the K-3 shutter is more noticeable than the K-5 after all. I can definitely hear the click/pop sound when the mirror slaps. But then again, a piece of the dampening foam did happen to break off in my camera (see post history). Hmm..

With that said, the K-3/5/7 are all quiet
You are making me nervous! My K3 is on the way and the loudest mirror slap I can stand is that of K5...
01-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are making me nervous! My K3 is on the way and the loudest mirror slap I can stand is that of K5...
You don't have to worry about the shutter and mirror sound, K-3/II have almost the same shutter sound with the K-5II.

01-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

No need to worry. With the K-3 I can still take a shot of someone from 5 feet away in a public space and they won't hear me.
01-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #40
Site Supporter

I received my K3 and is very slightly louder than K5, but not noticeable at all. K3 already received a compliment for being very quiet from my friend who uses Nikon D200!

How is the shutter sound of K-S2 compared to K5?
01-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #41
Forum Member

Oh, the things we fret over.

Once upon a time we just lived with the noise, it was just part of the SLR experience. Before I got my K-S2 I was reading about all the noise. I got it, and compared to my film SLR's, it's a kitten. Even my Leica MII with curtains makes noise, albeit of a different, less pulsed sort.

If shutter noise, or lack of it, is what you need for your photography, then an SLR is a bad choice. There is no plan C.
02-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The K-50 is just about the noisiest shutter ever. It sounds like launching a catapult. Ka-Thwack!

Um.... I think the K-x might have it beat!
02-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #43
Site Supporter

How is the shutter sound of K-S2 compared to K5?
The K-S2 is much louder than the K-3.

As for comparisons between K-5 and K-3, I have shot the two side by side many times, and although there is very little in it I would say the K-3 is quieter, especially in burst mode.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Before I got my K-S2 I was reading about all the noise. I got it, and compared to my film SLR's, it's a kitten.
Ain't that the truth. My LX and PZ-1 are much noisier than any of my APS-C DSLR's - I'm sure the size of the mirror has something to do with it. It will be very interesting the hear the K-1.