Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Turn off shutter sound?

I was trying to photograph a bird today and was fairly close to it. I was so sure in my mind that this one's gonna be a keeper. I do generally take 3 shots -
To circumvent the shake issue when shooting handheld. However, as soon as I clicked the first one, the sound scared the bird away..
I have a Pentax k-50.

Any suggestions - on how to reduce (totally eliminate) this sound and/or on techniques to not scare your subject?

12-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

You can't. You can only reduce the noise. The shutter is a physical noise, the mirror flapping in the camera - you can't turn it off.

Mirror less cameras can have a completely silent shutter because they have an electronic shutter.

A way to reduce the noise would be to use a telephoto and get farther away from the subject. There's also blimps, kinda of like cases for your camera but reduce the sound from it. You can also try to crudely make a blimp by wrapping fabric around your camera.
12-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you could shut off the shutter sound, however, you can get a higher model such as k-3 as the shutter noise would be more soft than the k-50 (lower end model). You could however, disable the beep alert sound (such as focus confirmation beep).
12-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by randomax Quote
I was trying to photograph a bird today and was fairly close to it. I was so sure in my mind that this one's gonna be a keeper. I do generally take 3 shots -
To circumvent the shake issue when shooting handheld. However, as soon as I clicked the first one, the sound scared the bird away..
I have a Pentax k-50.

Any suggestions - on how to reduce (totally eliminate) this sound and/or on techniques to not scare your subject?
FWIW, the K-5/K-3's shutter is much quieter. In live view, the K-3 is very close to being inaudible since the mirror stays up and the FPS rating is so high.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can get a sound-muffling housing commonly called a "blimp". Frequently used on movie sets, etc. Not cheap.
12-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

having just begun using a K-3, I was surprised at how much quieter the mirror/shutter is than my K-50... even my wife remarked on the difference...

and, no, you cannot silence the sound in either camera....
12-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The flagship models from K-5 onward (Possibly K-7 as well), has had much quieter shutter noise. This is one major reason why I would not consider any non-flagship models for purchase - it can get embarrassing when your camera goes 'Ka-thunk' at a recital (K-20D, which was actually noticeably quieter than the K100DSuper).

12-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote

Mirror less cameras can have a completely silent shutter because they have an electronic shutter.

The Sony A7R has a very noisy mechanical shutter.

Shutter design isn't related to whether a body has a mirror or not.
12-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
having just begun using a K-3, I was surprised at how much quieter the mirror/shutter is than my K-50... even my wife remarked on the difference...
Love the quiet shutter on my K-3!

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Sony A7R has a very noisy mechanical shutter.
Shutter sound was one reason why I passed on the A7 cameras.

If one must have silent or nearly so, full electronic and leaf shutters are the best option.

Steve
12-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

Can you shoot live view so the mirror is already up? At least that point you only have to hear the shutter curtains fly past the sensor and not the mirror itself.
12-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-50 is just about the noisiest shutter ever. It sounds like launching a catapult. Ka-Thwack!
12-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
Can you shoot live view so the mirror is already up? At least that point you only have to hear the shutter curtains fly past the sensor and not the mirror itself.

not with the K-50; it does not offer the option to shoot with the mirror up....
12-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #13

not with the K-50; it does not offer the option to shoot with the mirror up....
When you press live view, the mirror obviously goes up - I can see the lens view on the LCD and not in the viewfinder. Are you saying that it goes down when you press the shutter release only to go back up again to expose?
12-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
When you press live view, the mirror obviously goes up - I can see the lens view on the LCD and not in the viewfinder. Are you saying that it goes down when you press the shutter release only to go back up again to expose?

yep...
12-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #15

yep...
That seems a bit unnecessary.