Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 28
Turn off shutter sound?

I was trying to photograph a bird today and was fairly close to it. I was so sure in my mind that this one's gonna be a keeper. I do generally take 3 shots -
To circumvent the shake issue when shooting handheld. However, as soon as I clicked the first one, the sound scared the bird away..
I have a Pentax k-50.

Any suggestions - on how to reduce (totally eliminate) this sound and/or on techniques to not scare your subject?

12-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 63
You can't. You can only reduce the noise. The shutter is a physical noise, the mirror flapping in the camera - you can't turn it off.

Mirror less cameras can have a completely silent shutter because they have an electronic shutter.

A way to reduce the noise would be to use a telephoto and get farther away from the subject. There's also blimps, kinda of like cases for your camera but reduce the sound from it. You can also try to crudely make a blimp by wrapping fabric around your camera.
12-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
I don't think you could shut off the shutter sound, however, you can get a higher model such as k-3 as the shutter noise would be more soft than the k-50 (lower end model). You could however, disable the beep alert sound (such as focus confirmation beep).
12-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,399
QuoteOriginally posted by randomax Quote
I was trying to photograph a bird today and was fairly close to it. I was so sure in my mind that this one's gonna be a keeper. I do generally take 3 shots -
To circumvent the shake issue when shooting handheld. However, as soon as I clicked the first one, the sound scared the bird away..
I have a Pentax k-50.

Any suggestions - on how to reduce (totally eliminate) this sound and/or on techniques to not scare your subject?
FWIW, the K-5/K-3's shutter is much quieter. In live view, the K-3 is very close to being inaudible since the mirror stays up and the FPS rating is so high.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,791
You can get a sound-muffling housing commonly called a "blimp". Frequently used on movie sets, etc. Not cheap.
12-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer...
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,388
having just begun using a K-3, I was surprised at how much quieter the mirror/shutter is than my K-50... even my wife remarked on the difference...

and, no, you cannot silence the sound in either camera....
12-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
The flagship models from K-5 onward (Possibly K-7 as well), has had much quieter shutter noise. This is one major reason why I would not consider any non-flagship models for purchase - it can get embarrassing when your camera goes 'Ka-thunk' at a recital (K-20D, which was actually noticeably quieter than the K100DSuper).
12-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,686
QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote

Mirror less cameras can have a completely silent shutter because they have an electronic shutter.

The Sony A7R has a very noisy mechanical shutter.


Shutter design isn't related to whether a body has a mirror or not.

12-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,156
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
having just begun using a K-3, I was surprised at how much quieter the mirror/shutter is than my K-50... even my wife remarked on the difference...
Love the quiet shutter on my K-3!

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Sony A7R has a very noisy mechanical shutter.
Shutter sound was one reason why I passed on the A7 cameras.

If one must have silent or nearly so, full electronic and leaf shutters are the best option.


Steve
12-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 133
Can you shoot live view so the mirror is already up? At least that point you only have to hear the shutter curtains fly past the sensor and not the mirror itself.
12-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,464
The K-50 is just about the noisiest shutter ever. It sounds like launching a catapult. Ka-Thwack!
12-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer...
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,388
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
Can you shoot live view so the mirror is already up? At least that point you only have to hear the shutter curtains fly past the sensor and not the mirror itself.

not with the K-50; it does not offer the option to shoot with the mirror up....
12-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 133
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
not with the K-50; it does not offer the option to shoot with the mirror up....
When you press live view, the mirror obviously goes up - I can see the lens view on the LCD and not in the viewfinder. Are you saying that it goes down when you press the shutter release only to go back up again to expose?
12-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
amateur dirt farmer...
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,388
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
When you press live view, the mirror obviously goes up - I can see the lens view on the LCD and not in the viewfinder. Are you saying that it goes down when you press the shutter release only to go back up again to expose?



yep...
12-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 133
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
yep...
That seems a bit unnecessary.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bird, camera, dslr, k-3, k-s2, photography, shutter sound, sound
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(K-3) How to turn off halfway shutter button focusing? LeDave Pentax K-3 5 08-13-2015 01:56 PM
Turn off auto focus on K3 Shutter Button Mark K5 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 03-02-2015 01:30 PM
Shutter noise at start/stop of video ... how to turn it off ? madbrain Pentax K-30 & K-50 17 01-16-2014 07:51 AM
How quiet is the K-01' shutter? Can we turn off the sound of the AF confirmation? powP0Wpow Pentax K-01 9 03-08-2012 03:19 AM
Turn AF Off on Shutter Release? Tobman Pentax K-5 7 12-11-2011 11:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top