Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my case, the advantage of Pentax are those already mentioned - weather seal, IQ, in-camera SR advantage, rich functionality (two dials, green button, hyper-P, Sv and TAv mode etc.)

The other things I like about Pentax DSLR are:
-selection of reasonably priced limited and quality primes
-the grip fits better in my hands (not too bulky, not too small)
-less plasticky look, better design and workmanship
-SD format (yes, I actually like that idea - I think the first DSLR to adopt SD) since SD is more ubquitous in every electronic gadget and therefore less costly and better price/performance
-also when I first bought my K100D, I also like the fact that it uses AA batteries (oh, well, I kind of like the DL150 rechargeable now since it share the same format as the NP400 for Minolta/Konica camera and they are not that expensive)

But that is just me..

06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I was standing there holding both the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10 last November, I asked the shop owner "what do I get for the extra $400.00 the D80 was going to cost me? I didn't really care about the dollars but was more interesting in the features versus costs. A few more features on the D80 and I would have gone for it. Their words at the time "you are getting more features for less $$$ with the K10. Seemed like a no brainer at the time and I bought the Pentax along with a Tamron 18-250MM. [who needs more then one len right?? / now purchased three more with another on order] I then took 100's of pictures and said "what, is this all I can expect!! Then I took a coarse shot another couple of 1000's pictures and said "Holy Crab, nice camera" Looked at the K20 but will wait for the next upgrade. Also spend a couple of grand on lenses they year so I should hold off a bit or at least that's what my wife tells me!

The only time I think about the D80 is when I am looking at the newer third party lenses like the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 I have on order. [arrival sometime in August I hope] These lenses come out 6-8 months ahead for Nikon and Canon versus Pentax. Other then that I am totally happy and have no regrets with the K10. Cheers JIMBO
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
"Holy Crab, nice camera"
That must be one of those Vancouver expressions.
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
"Holy Crab, nice camera"

That must be one of those Vancouver expressions.

Either that or someone is a huge Spongebob Squarepants fan!

06-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Ok, so my crab joke didn't work CRAP! Still love the camera.. Cheers
06-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you guys covered a lot of territory with this. Rather than repeating what has already been said, I’ll try to touch upon an intangible advantage of owning Pentax.

A simple analogy might be a car. So many people out there in their Toyotas, Hondas and Hyundais and most of them are happy with these cars. But, for some people, driving is more than getting a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk. BTW, I drive a Toyota.

For these enthusiasts, a Toyota, Honda or Hyundai may be okay for their wives and kids, but not for them. This is why there are car manufacturers out there with a miniscule share of the market, but with a large share of brand-loyal owners.

Much in the same way, I believe, do many people come to Pentax. Except, I would suggest Pentax, tiny little player it is in the market, produces more quality than those tiny little car manufacturers. That is, you get more than just performance—you get dependability and quality on a higher level, but, perhaps even more importantly, you get a good deal. And when you walk around with your DSLR on, you emit an aura of distinguishment, not one of “keeping up with the Jones.” I think it takes a little extra courage, confidence and independence to lay your hard-earned savings down on a Pentax, than it does to lay it down on a Canon or Nikon.

I must conclude by admitting I once was young and foolish enough to own a Lotus Europa—tremendously fun little car. But, for every hour I drove it, I worked on it for three.

Regards,

Ernest