Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Advantages of buying Pentax DSLRs

Hi all,

Kindly list out all the advantages of buying (or using) Pentax DSLR.
(Can be your general point of view, can be more specific on which model(s))

Thanks!!!

06-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #2

you can use very good, inexpensive, old manual focus lenses

has shake reduction built-in, so no need to pay huge premium on lens just to have shake-reduction, even old manual focus benefits from the in-body SR

plus, pentax is cool!
06-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ergonomics (dedicated switches/buttons for what others have none or change function of others)
Image quality.
Effective Shake Reduction on every lens w/o the added cost per lens.
AF adjustability in a body i can afford before i pay off my house in 20+ yrs!

Using old manual lenses, i think Canon keeps the crown there, even if not by design/support, but by a 44mm register distance allowing for mega adaptability for many different mounts, as long as their register distance is >44mm.
What makes Pentax stand out though is that the camera provides full functionality for M and newer lenses, with only M42 requiring manual stopping down, Go Go Gadget Green Button!
06-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
PFH
Veteran Member

I think the pictures are very film like in their colors.

06-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This forum, of course.

Heather
06-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Kei

You would tend to put more time in research and comparison prior buying a Pentax DSLR. So you know what you are getting and less likely to regret than people who pick DSLR just by brand names.
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Hi all,

Thanks!!!
Pentax cameras are targeted at the "enthusiast" market ...as opposed to the consumer market or photo journalist. What this means is that you get a camera that offers superior features, control and build quality than the competition at around a given price point. This sometimes makes comparison difficult as expressed by DP Review in their recent full review of the K20D. ...to quote:
"With the K20D, Pentax has done its usual trick of offering an unambiguously semi-pro specification at much closer to keen amateur prices, which makes it a little awkward when it comes to identifying its peers. The real problem is that some people who might otherwise buy Canon 450Ds and Sony A350s will be tempted to spend a little more to get the better viewfinder and build quality that moving up a level gets you, while its high spec will make it appeal to people considering the Olympus E3, Canon 40D, Sony A700 or even Nikon D300."
This is what appeals to me about the brand as I am not prepared (or able) to spend $5K to $8K for a body and $2K for a medium telphoto zoom etc.. Yet, I am serious about my equipment and despite the old addage that it's the photographer not the camera, good equipment does allow you to produce better images.

So I shoot Pentax (always their top of the line model) and get their best glass (DA* series and Limiteds) as that is as good as it gets for the price point I am able and prepared to pay.

Mike.

06-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi ckanthon

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
I'm afraid I couldn't possibly begin to "list out all the advantages of buying (or using) a Pentax DSLR", as there are far too many to mention here ! Being a 'died-in-the-wool' film devotee of many years standing, I originally invested in both the Olympus 35mm system (OM1N) & subsequently a Mamiya Medium Format camera (just so you know, the K10D is my first ever Pentax !)

I tentatively decided to 'dip-my-toe' in the digital waters about a decade ago, when Fuji's S602Z 'bridge-camera' was being superceded and it's cost had dropped substantially.

Over the past few years, as the price of many DSLR's have started to become affordable and following a great deal of careful research, I finally chose a Pentax K10D, D BG-2 grip and Tamron 18-250mm super-zoom and later added a Sigma 10-20 HSM wide-zoom and Metz 48 AF-1 flash.

Thus far I have yet to become disenchanted with my purchase (very much the opposite, in fact !) and IMHO, nothing thus far comes remotely close to offering such a feature-laden camera for so little outlay.

I cannot even begin to describe how naturally balanced and ergonomically "right" the Pentax K10D seems in my hands.....it feels so "comfortable" that it's almost as though it's been tailor-made for me, rather like a Saville Row suit ! All the controls fall intuitively to hand and it's build quality is amazingly solid.....it's possibly the motoring equivalent of an Audi ! Incidentally, I've handled both the latest N***n D300 and C***n 40D and neither of these models hold a candle to the K10D in this respect.

The inbody SR (Shake Reduction) feature is an amazing boon for capturing pin-sharp images in ridiculously low-light situations, which I would never even thought of attempting in the days of slow ISO film speeds. Here's some free advice : Whatever DSLR you eventually decide to purchase, just make sure that it has either Shake Reduction (SR), Image Stabilisation (IS) or Vibration Reduction (VR). It's one of the few genuinely useful inventions, where hand-held photography is concerned ! Oh, I almost forgot to mention the 72 weather-seals on the K10D's body..........handy if you need to keep shooting when it starts to rain (used with Pentax *DA lenses) !

In addition, every single K-mount lens ever manufactured for the past 40 years benefits from this remarkable technology. Just sit down and think SERIOUSLY about the implications of that for a moment ! How much extra are you prepared to shell-out for equivalent lenses with in-built stabilisation circuitry from either C***n or N***n ? HOW MUCH, I hear you say ??.......you sure got THAT bit right !

In fact, if I'd bought either the Tamron 18-250mm or the Sigma 10-20 HSM wide-angle in either C***n or N***n lens-mounts, they WOULDN'T be stabilised at all, because neither company offer image stabilised versions of these respective lenses !

Purchasing a DSLR is a very personal matter and what suits one person might not suit another. I'd simply advise you to visit a decent photographic store and then try handling as many cameras as you can. Don't be swayed by what salespeople might have to say, because they often have hidden agendas and are probably working on commission anyway ! Then (and only then) buy what feels right for YOU, finances notwithstanding. Hope this helps somewhat......

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-29-2008 at 05:21 PM.
06-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mike,
That is a fantastic anology of what Pentax is all about. This is why it is such a great product. Keep it up.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Pentax cameras are targeted at the "enthusiast" market ...as opposed to the consumer market or photo journalist. What this means is that you get a camera that offers superior features, control and build quality than the competition at around a given price point. This sometimes makes comparison difficult as expressed by DP Review in their recent full review of the K20D. ...to quote:
"With the K20D, Pentax has done its usual trick of offering an unambiguously semi-pro specification at much closer to keen amateur prices, which makes it a little awkward when it comes to identifying its peers. The real problem is that some people who might otherwise buy Canon 450Ds and Sony A350s will be tempted to spend a little more to get the better viewfinder and build quality that moving up a level gets you, while its high spec will make it appeal to people considering the Olympus E3, Canon 40D, Sony A700 or even Nikon D300."
This is what appeals to me about the brand as I am not prepared (or able) to spend $5K to $8K for a body and $2K for a medium telphoto zoom etc.. Yet, I am serious about my equipment and despite the old addage that it's the photographer not the camera, good equipment does allow you to produce better images.

So I shoot Pentax (always their top of the line model) and get their best glass (DA* series and Limiteds) as that is as good as it gets for the price point I am able and prepared to pay.

Mike.
06-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In short:
  • Limited lenses: unsurpassed style and substance but way cheaper than Zeiss or Leica
  • image stabilisation built into the body so every lens benefits
  • entire history of k-mount and screw-mount lenses available to use
  • affordability for the quality you are getting
  • cheapest weather-sealed cameras in the world
  • amazing community of dedicated photographers (you found it here!)

At greater length read my series of articles including Which Digital SLR?, A Closer Look At Pentax Cameras and Pentax Lenses: None Better.
06-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,

Forgot to enter my own input:
I am a newbie on DSLR.

I preferred Pentex after seeing one very sharp picture on a web-site taken by K100d super (very sharp even at 6M pixels!) and with a rish colour

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-28-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: as always
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In can be spelled backwards and it still sounds kind of cool "XATNEP"

That's about all I could come up with...

06-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
What makes Pentax stand out though is that the camera provides full functionality for M and newer lenses
Unfortunately K20D does not allow metering with open aperture on M lenses - it is necessary to use Manual mode and meter by Green button, i.e. two extra steps instead of simple plug&play like e.g. with MZ-3. So, M lenses are supported, but I would not say "fully"
06-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Hi all,

Thanks!!!
Hi,

I can only tell "my story" and how I become a pentaxian in the first place. After 3 p&s cameras I wanted my first DSLR. This was in late 2006 and at the time I could choose among several cameras from all big 5. Since I had no lenses I was starting from scratch and the brand name was not that important for me. At the time I was planing on buying a system not just a camera and I made some comparations based on initial cost and value for the money in the future. First I eliminated Oly and Sony based on sensor size (first) and the lousy camera A100 was (latter). I knew I needed the best glass I could afford and comparing the kit lenses at the time Pentax was the best (and I think still is). I also knew I will need a fast 50 and Pentax FA 50 was IMO the best price/value. I remember agonising about whether to buy a K100D or a K10D for 1/2 more money. In the end I bought a K100D and some accesories and that was my camera for 14 months. In 2007 I also bought my FA 50 and the 2 M42 from my signature and those 3 lenses rekindle my passion for photography. This IMO is another great advantage of Pentax that you can buy cheaper, older and sometimes great glass, mount directly all those 27+ million K mount lenses ever made or buy a M42 to K mount adaptor for like 20 USD and have both SR (stabilisation) and focus confirmation on central AF point for all the lenses. Show me another brand who does that?! One can explore with little money different focal lenghts and use all metal and glass with better result often than todays "multizooms" full of plastic.
Today IMO Pentax still commends by far the best value for the money for every one except those pros with special needs (very fast fps, very long lenses). If you won't feel this limitation a world of great new lenses (DA 35 Macro my lattest is a jewel of aluminium and glass) rugged build bodies and terrific ergonomics lays ahead of you.

It all boils down to your style and if what I wrote here means to you what it meant to me (and still does) I know you'll become a pentaxian!

Radu
06-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, maybe not fully (flash would shoot at 100% with it too, and you need an auto flash to help you out), still nice to set an aperture, hit the green button and then focus wide open, cam stopping back down on the shot. (Amazing when you are used to focusing, then turning aperture ring on a Canon body)
At least they made sure the green button works with M42 and on.
Also green mode could be added to each shutter release, since it stops them down, metering could happen just before the actual shot is taken, i am talking about say Av.