Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

k10d bracketing question

Hi everyone

I have been trying to use the bracketing feature on the K10 in manual mode, however, not only is it changing shutter speed but F. stop as well, messing up DOF. Is this correct?

Should i change something in settings or how should i overcome this issue.

Thanks in advance

Peter

06-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest you just set your own under/over exposure. You are shooting in manual after all.
06-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't use manual. If you need the aperture to remain the same, shoot in Av. Or shoot in P. In P, it will hold either the aperture or shutter, which ever one you set manually. If you press the Green button, set neither, or set both, it will adjust both between shots.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 06-28-2008 at 01:07 PM.
06-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Don't use manual. If you need the aperture to remain the same, shoot in Av. Or shoot in P. In P, it will hold either the aperture or shutter, which ever one you set manually. If you press the Green button, set neither, or set both, it will adjust both between shots.

Yes, the green button rules. It's anything but intuitive without reading about it first, but crack the manual (THE manual, not 'manual' : ) ) and it's laid out. IIRC It'll do what you want.

06-30-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, and thanks everyone for your help

Still, the mystery remains. Why bracket apeture in M mode? Could this be helpfull when it comes to blending images? Perhaps giving excellent DOF for landscapes.

Has anyone tried this? What were your results?

Thanks
Peter
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Hi everyone

I have been trying to use the bracketing feature on the K10 in manual mode, however, not only is it changing shutter speed but F. stop as well, messing up DOF. Is this correct?
Well, just so you don't think you're alone in wondering... No, it doesn't seem to be the "correct" way for the camera to behave. You'd be correct in assuming that manual-mode should mean you have total control of the settings, and I haven't encountered your problem with my K10D. Are you sure you're in full-manual mode when this happens, not a priority-mode?
06-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
Well, just so you don't think you're alone in wondering... No, it doesn't seem to be the "correct" way for the camera to behave. You'd be correct in assuming that manual-mode should mean you have total control of the settings, and I haven't encountered your problem with my K10D. Are you sure you're in full-manual mode when this happens, not a priority-mode?
You do have full control. It's called bracket the shots yourself - manually. If you want to Auto-Bracket, use an auto mode. If you use the Auto-Bracket in manual, how is the camera supposed to know you want to maintain DOF instead of shutter speed? It only makes sense that both settings might change.

07-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You do have full control. It's called bracket the shots yourself - manually. If you want to Auto-Bracket, use an auto mode. If you use the Auto-Bracket in manual, how is the camera supposed to know you want to maintain DOF instead of shutter speed? It only makes sense that both settings might change.
It almost never makes sense to bracket exposures with aperture. Bracketing is usually used with a still camera and a (relatively) still subject - So shutter speed will have little effect on the photo but a change in aperture WILL.

Manual bracketing is not an option as it is SLOW. See my previous qualifier about a "relatively" still subject.

Sadly, the K10D's bracketing function is pretty abysmal. The shutter button needs to be held down the entire time, and it brackets both aperture and shutter. The K20D is much better in this regard - You can bracket with one touch of the button, combine self timer mode with bracketing (although it triggers the timer between every exposure - good mirror-lockup wise, bad in terms of speed, it would be far better to keep the mirror up for all exposures.), and the K20D does not bracket aperture, only shutter.
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I actually think it's great the way the K10D brackets, though the single press of the K20D is a nice bonus. Sorry, but if the K20D only brackets the shutter, that really sucks. How can it not be a good thing to have total control over how the camera will behave? You want it to behave one way, choose one mode. Want it to behave another way, choose a different one. Sounds like a great feature to me. Obviously it's not ideal, but there have been occasions where I've needed to do it handheld, and not changing both would not have been the best option. Changing just the shuttter would have had the problem of too much movement, both during and between shots. Changing just the aperture on the other hand can create drastic differences in both DOF and to a lesser extent sharpness. Now at least I can still get useable shutter speeds and a more subtle aperture change. Not the best way to do things, but at least the option is there.
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It seems like the ideal would be to be in Av mode if you want to hold the aperture steady. It also seems like the ability should be there (whether you might need it or not) to set a shutter speed in Tv mode to set a shutter speed and let the camera adjust the aperture. That could possibly be useful if you are taking a shot in perhaps a darker situation where you need a specific shutter speed or maybe you are in a dynamic situation where you need a specific shutter speed to prevent motion blur.
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #11

If you use the Auto-Bracket in manual, how is the camera supposed to know you want to maintain DOF instead of shutter speed?
Ahha! I misread Spooked's first post, to mean manually manipulating the lens aperture-ring to bracket shots ... as opposed to using the the auto-bracketing feature. Yes, the auto-bracketing feature would be dependent on the user's priority setting to keep aperture and/or shutter fixed.

So for full independence, get an old lens with a manually adjustable aperture ring.
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D brackets the way you want it to bracket. If you put the camera in Av it will only adjust exposure with the shutter timing - you have told the camera you want THIS aperture. If you put the camera in Tv, it will bracket using the aperture, because you told it to use a specific shutter speed. If you put the camera in P, it will bracket using both because you are only interested in the variation in exposure. .
07-06-2008, 01:36 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
There are few chances to use the

Net here on samos island, hence the delay with replies. Sorry guys. thanks for your informative replies. However the questiom of whether this is normal behavior in m mode still stands? If so then what is the possible scenario for its use. Sorry for errors, this is first time using net on my phone. Its tiresome. Thanks for the help everyone. Peter
07-06-2008, 02:30 AM   #14

Well since M mode is all about manual control the normal behavior for this mode should be to ask you after every picture if you want to change aperture and/or shutter speed, and how much
Actually I think that your problem is that you would like to set the starting exposure manually, but in Av it tends to jump around. If yes then just map one of the wheels to exposure compensation and use exposure lock. K10d honours the exposure compensation when bracketing. Or use lenses with aperture ring
07-06-2008, 02:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The K10D brackets the way you want it to bracket. If you put the camera in Av it will only adjust exposure with the shutter timing - you have told the camera you want THIS aperture. If you put the camera in Tv, it will bracket using the aperture, because you told it to use a specific shutter speed. If you put the camera in P, it will bracket using both because you are only interested in the variation in exposure. .

I wish that in addidtion to this the camera would bracket with ISO when set to TAV mode. Logically, I would have thought it would.