Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

What is the best for me?

Hello forum.

I used to have a KX and a bunch of lenses. I sold all that when I found a great deal on a Sony RX100M2 (which took much better pictures for general use). Now that I know what I want out of a camera, I'm eventually going to get another larger sensor camera. What I am looking for is a camera with a razor sharp portrait lens (50mm 1.4f?) for the best price. I had been eying the K50 for a long time but how do the newer cameras compare? Are they AWESOME or just slightly better?

Opinions?

12-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
QuoteOriginally posted by RedDogDarren Quote
I had been eying the K50 for a long time
It is a great camera you'll ,love it, that being said. If you can afford the K-3 you should get it.
Are they AWESOME
Well all Pentax cameras are...
just slightly better?
Mostly. I would love a K-3 if I could afford it though.
12-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
We have a K-X kicking around here still. Doesn't get used much anymore, we got the wife a K-S2 to replace it, and i have a K-5.

Honestly... the K-X is a good camera. It really is.

It also doesn't hold a candle to either the K-S2 or the K-5.

End game picture quality is fairly close, and if that's all that matters to you, then there's no reason to upgrade. However, the K-S2 and K-5 are just... better. They're way faster, have better IQ, the screens are actually useful for LV and a quick glance to see "Is this in focus?"

I have a friend that has a K-50. It seems like the K-X in terms of overall feel and construction, but almost more basic. Better sensor though.

None of this probably helped. :P
12-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So much will depend on your budget. The K-50, K-S2, and the K3 are all excellent and the more you can afford, the better the sensor. If your budget is tight, then you'll get better quality with a limited prime, but if you really want and need convenience for less, the kit zooms are much better than their price.

12-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello forum.

I used to have a KX and a bunch of lenses. I sold all that when I found a great deal on a Sony RX100M2 (which took much better pictures for general use). Now that I know what I want out of a camera, I'm eventually going to get another larger sensor camera. What I am looking for is a camera with a razor sharp portrait lens (50mm 1.4f?) for the best price. I had been eying the K50 for a long time but how do the newer cameras compare? Are they AWESOME or just slightly better?

Opinions?
The newer sensors are quite a bit better, especially when paired with the new metering system such as the one found in the K-3 (which is what I'd go for). See our K-3 review:

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

What I am looking for is a camera with a razor sharp portrait lens (50mm 1.4f?) for the best price. I had been eying the K50 for a long time but how do the newer cameras compare? Are they AWESOME or just slightly better?
You seem to have two questions here, one "razor sharp portrait lens" really has nothing to do with the camera but rather the lens you choose. For Pentax you could try the DA*55mm f/1.4 or the DA 70mm f/2.4. Either will be fine, though I prefer a slightly longer focal length so the 70mm is my preference.

For cameras you have 2 different sensor families with a choice of bodies. The k-30/k-50/k-5/k-5II/k-5IIs all share very similar sensors and these are a nice step up from the k-x. Then you have the k-3 family with the 24mp sensor which is again a nice step up. There is also the K-S2 with the newer 20mp sensor. This camera also has wi-fi if that is of interest to you.

For bodies you have the k-50 mid-level body and the k-5 series top-end body. The image results are similar but the high end bodies have more features and a better build. If you go all the way to k-3 you have the choice of k-3 with on board flash or k-3II with the GPS.
12-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The newer sensors are quite a bit better, especially when paired with the new metering system such as the one found in the K-3 (which is what I'd go for). See our K-3 review:

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
It's tempting to wait until I have some excess cash to grab a K3 II.

Coupled with a nice prime I believe that would make me happy. Thanks.
12-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You seem to have two questions here, one "razor sharp portrait lens" really has nothing to do with the camera but rather the lens you choose. For Pentax you could try the DA*55mm f/1.4 or the DA 70mm f/2.4. Either will be fine, though I prefer a slightly longer focal length so the 70mm is my preference.

For cameras you have 2 different sensor families with a choice of bodies. The k-30/k-50/k-5/k-5II/k-5IIs all share very similar sensors and these are a nice step up from the k-x. Then you have the k-3 family with the 24mp sensor which is again a nice step up. There is also the K-S2 with the newer 20mp sensor. This camera also has wi-fi if that is of interest to you.

For bodies you have the k-50 mid-level body and the k-5 series top-end body. The image results are similar but the high end bodies have more features and a better build. If you go all the way to k-3 you have the choice of k-3 with on board flash or k-3II with the GPS.
I realize my wording could have been better. I just wanted to make clear I don't care about zoom lenses so I will be buying a body only, and possibly adding a 55-300 WR down the road as a last priority after one or two solid primes. Is the GPS the only real difference between the K3 models?

12-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless you really can't afford it, skip the K50 and get a K3. I have both (K3II and 50). The difference is huge, IMO. As far as a K3 vs K3II comparison, see this interactive comparison chart:

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-S1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I chose the K3II for the astrotracer.
12-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

According to some reviews the K3 II focus tracking and shake reduction are improved over the K3. I just bought a used K3 with less than 17,000 clicks from a brick and mortar store to replace a K10 I bought brand new in 2007. The AF on the K3 and the ISO treatment are stunningly better than the K10. There are a few high ISO snaps on my Flickr site. Check out the flag shot - it was taken at ISO 12800.
12-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Is the GPS the only real difference between the K3 models?
You also get the pixel shift feature which can be useful for some. I've never tried it because it does not suit my style but for some things it might be a big plus.

Supposedly the AF has been improved and the SR has been improved. How much improvement is open to speculation. I have both k-3 and k-3II and in real world use I see no difference.

Regardless of any other differences the decision factor for most is whether you want an on board flash or the on board GPS. I greatly prefer the GPS but others might prefer the flash. So make your decision based on that need.
12-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have some amazing photos taken with a K-x. I gave it to my daughter in law, who still take amazing pictures with it, to this day.
But looking at the features on the RX100m2 the K-S2 is the way to get the same, notably the 20 MP images and tiltable back screen.

For your portrait lens you definitely want the 55 ƒ1.4 or 77 ƒ1.8 ltd. The K-s2 sensor will be four times the size which means the you will get much shallower depth of field, which may have been your problem with your K-x. A bigger sensor requires more care in focusing. The RX100 will get about 4 2/3 times more DOF than an APS-c so it's should be easy to get everything in focus with it. Not necessarily so with a larger sensor.

Last edited by normhead; 12-15-2015 at 08:36 AM.
12-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If you want the ultimate sharpness from the Sony 16MP sensor, the K-5IIs is it. Pair that with a sharp prime & you'll be blown away if you have good technique. The K-50 has an AA filter. It's not a bad thing, but you'll never be able to extract the ultimate sharpness out of it.

The current K-S2, K-3, K-3II, & even the unloved K-S1 lack the AA filter. Any of those will be sharper.