Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K3ii or K3

Folks,

Looking to upgrade from my K5 because of erratic autofocus with the large aperture lenses. My K200 never did that.

Wanted to know if the K3ii has better focusing abilities than the K3. I have read a lot of posts but there is no logical conclusion. Ricoh / Pentax says it does. I love shooting birds though with the growing family opportunities are less

Also mindful that the costs of K3 are pretty low with goodies added right now, versus K3ii which is now available at a decent price (pity there is no flash which I will need to buy separately)

Will need to get it shipped to Australia as the prices in Australia are a staggering $1350 for the K3ii. Blasphemous!

Or may just jump the ship to Canokion, the entry full frames are cheaper here than in the US because of Christmas Cashbacks.

Inputs awaited eagerly. Thanks.

12-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought my K3 in December 2013 with the 18-135 for less than the current K3 body only price. Amazingly, the price has gone up in two years!
12-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I bought my K3 in December 2013 with the 18-135 for less than the current K3 body only price. Amazingly, the price has gone up in two years!
Blimey! Did you create one at home?
12-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I currently own the K3II. I used to own a K3.

I never timed the focusing speeds, but from my observations, frankly, I am unable to detect any significant differences at all between the two bodies when it comes to focusing speed.

Both have pretty decent focusing speed as far as I am concerned. I'd suggest making your decision between the two based upon their more apparent differences (e.g. flash, pixel shift, GPS, price, etc.).

Both are excellent cameras and prices these days in the USA are unbelievably low.

12-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Digidirect Christmas sale or might have been post Christmas?? Either way, I wasn't going to get one until I saw the price. They sold out and I had to wait a few weeks for delivery...

---------- Post added 12-18-15 at 00:35 ----------

This post from last year
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/280483-pentax-web-s...day-deals.html
suggests CR Kennedy may be open to price matching.
12-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I think the differences amount to there being a flash on one and GPS and pixel shift on the other.
12-18-2015, 03:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't think you will go wrong with either of the camera's. And mostly it will come to the question. Do you need the GPS or pixel shift?

But as you said you like shooting birds, so the pixel shift function you won't use that much.

I just bought myself the K-3. And also was looking at the K-3II. But the GPS I will not use. And mostly I will use the K-3 for sports, so also the pixel shift function I will not use.
Therefore, because of the K-3 being also cheaper I bought that one. And have to say, it does not disappoint. But if you have money left, I do recommend to get the FGZ 210 flash. it is a small and powerfull flash
12-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I selected the K3II. I do field macro photography so the GPS and lack of AA filters are very attractive. Now I can add a fill or ring flash without additional cables. Were I not interested in macro or GPS tagging of field images, I would have chosen the K3 - though I do have the OGPS-1 for GPS.

I did buy an FGZ 210 but have not used it yet (I have only had the camera for a couple days). I hope to construct a directed diffused flash guide for field work.

12-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I selected the K3II. I do field macro photography so the GPS and lack of AA filters are very attractive. Now I can add a fill or ring flash without additional cables. Were I not interested in macro or GPS tagging of field images, I would have chosen the K3 - though I do have the OGPS-1 for GPS.

I did buy an FGZ 210 but have not used it yet (I have only had the camera for a couple days). I hope to construct a directed diffused flash guide for field work.
Im not sure I understand your reasoning. The K3 has all the same features (no AA filter etc.) as the K3II except the built in GPS and pixel shift. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I don't think so.
12-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter

The K3 does not have a gps in it, that is a separate unit that is attached. K3 II does not have the pop up built in flash. You will have to get an external flash. I have both, so except for the K3II needing external flash and having gps, and the K3 having a built in flash and needs external gps the rest of it, all the buttons dials, the handling is all the same. I sure like it that way. It is easy to switch between the two if you have both along. I have not tried out the pixel shift yet though.
12-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Im not sure I understand your reasoning. The K3 has all the same features (no AA filter etc.) as the K3II except the built in GPS and pixel shift. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I don't think so.
You're correct. I just use the GPS often enough and flash infrequently enough to make that combination attractive.