Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #1

K-x upgrade - K-s2 kit vs. K-3 body?

Hello all,

I've had my K-x since late 2010, which I got with the 18-35mm and 55-300mm kit lenses. Since then, I've acquired a couple of m42 russian lenses (a helios-44 58mm., and more recently, a jupiter-9 85mm.). Been using the camera mainly to take pictures of my child's activities, and for hobby portrait shooting of friends and toy models, and occasionally landscapes. Been dabbling doing off-camera lighting using inexpensive wireless flash triggers too.

I've been itching recently for an upgrade to the camera, and I think I've narrowed myself down to 2 choices - either the K-s2 + 18-55mm kit or a K-3 body only. (The K-s2 kit was chosen mainly for availability, as I'm in the Philippines). There's about $120 USD separating the 2 options. I don't *really* intend to go shooting with the camera during inclement weather, so I think I don't *really* need a WR lens (at least as of the moment). The articulating lens, I imagine, may come in useful for creative framing though. Of course, getting a flagship model would be pretty sweet.

So your thoughts, please? Mid-range body with the wr lens now, or flagship body now (and just get a wr lens later on, as the need would arise)?

Thanks all in advance!

12-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a tough one, I have a K-3 and want a K-s2 just for the articulating back, so I would like to have both.... right now I have a K-3 so I'd be a bit biased towards that choice, but there are lots of happy K-S2 users too. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful. I really don't think you can lose either way.
12-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd go for the K-3 since it sounds like you already have the lenses, but really, you can't lose.
12-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the K-x and it's still my most used camera. I used to have the K10D also but sold it recently. I bought a K-S2 because I wanted a combination of K-x and K10D in one package. I know find myself using the K-x more than my new K-S2. Why? Because it's smaller and lighter. The K-S2 is by no means a big camera, but it's still larger than the K-x. And it is indeed heavier. The K-3 is also heavier than the K-x. It is a weight difference that feels.

However, the K-S2 shines with long and heavy lenses. I use the DA 17-70 as standard lens on the K-S2, this feels very nice and well balanced. This lens on the K-x creates a feeling of a lens with a camera attached, it is frankly quite unpleasant to use. My main lens on the K-x is the DA 35 2.8 Macro Limited, this makes for a sweet compact and light package.

Sure the K-S2 has more features and it offers more creative control, but the 20Mp sensor isn't as a huge step up in image quality as one can believe. I feel the simpler sensor in the K-x is good enough. Sure the K-S2 handles different lighting better, it has a more advanced white balance, and better AF system. Still, the K-x is good enough for family fun photos.

However, when I'm out in the nature, on hiking or something like that - I do bring the K-S2 with me. It do feels more comfortable with more lenses than the lightweight K-x does. But for a stroll on the city or simply an easy always-with-me-camera nothing can beat the K-x... And I love the navy blue metallic on my sample.

The K-S2 is a lovely camera, but the K-x is so sweet...

12-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by agraspar Quote
Hello all,

I've had my K-x since late 2010, which I got with the 18-35mm and 55-300mm kit lenses. Since then, I've acquired a couple of m42 russian lenses (a helios-44 58mm., and more recently, a jupiter-9 85mm.). Been using the camera mainly to take pictures of my child's activities, and for hobby portrait shooting of friends and toy models, and occasionally landscapes. Been dabbling doing off-camera lighting using inexpensive wireless flash triggers too.

I've been itching recently for an upgrade to the camera, and I think I've narrowed myself down to 2 choices - either the K-s2 + 18-55mm kit or a K-3 body only. (The K-s2 kit was chosen mainly for availability, as I'm in the Philippines). There's about $120 USD separating the 2 options. I don't *really* intend to go shooting with the camera during inclement weather, so I think I don't *really* need a WR lens (at least as of the moment). The articulating lens, I imagine, may come in useful for creative framing though. Of course, getting a flagship model would be pretty sweet.

So your thoughts, please? Mid-range body with the wr lens now, or flagship body now (and just get a wr lens later on, as the need would arise)?

Thanks all in advance!
I would probably lean toward the K-3, especially if you plan to expand your lens selection in the future. The K-S2's articulating screen is nice, but that's the only big thing it has over the K-3 IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't really go wrong.
12-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
We recently upgraded wife's K-X to a KS2. End game image quality isn't super noticeable, but the KS2 just does everything... better and faster. Much better IQ, white balance seems better, and the screen is more useful than we thought it would be. (Also more pixels means easier to tell if you got something in focus without finding out the next day in Lightroom that everything you took is garbage.)

That said... i prefer my K-5 to her K-S2 in almost every way, so my vote would be the K-3 for an extra 120 bones. She'd probably vote K-S2.

Point is, coming from a K-X, you'll love either.
12-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Why not get some better lenses instead?

12-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It depends on your budget also. Either one would be a great choice, but If you can get the K3 at a good price, get it.
12-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Why not get some better lenses instead?
I thought about that, but I think there are feature upgrades from the K-x that are useful (either as perceived by me, or actual )

Additional lenses, to follow.

---------- Post added 12-19-15 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I have the K-x and it's still my most used camera. I used to have the K10D also but sold it recently. I bought a K-S2 because I wanted a combination of K-x and K10D in one package. I know find myself using the K-x more than my new K-S2. Why? Because it's smaller and lighter. The K-S2 is by no means a big camera, but it's still larger than the K-x. And it is indeed heavier. The K-3 is also heavier than the K-x. It is a weight difference that feels.

However, the K-S2 shines with long and heavy lenses. I use the DA 17-70 as standard lens on the K-S2, this feels very nice and well balanced. This lens on the K-x creates a feeling of a lens with a camera attached, it is frankly quite unpleasant to use. My main lens on the K-x is the DA 35 2.8 Macro Limited, this makes for a sweet compact and light package.

Sure the K-S2 has more features and it offers more creative control, but the 20Mp sensor isn't as a huge step up in image quality as one can believe. I feel the simpler sensor in the K-x is good enough. Sure the K-S2 handles different lighting better, it has a more advanced white balance, and better AF system. Still, the K-x is good enough for family fun photos.

However, when I'm out in the nature, on hiking or something like that - I do bring the K-S2 with me. It do feels more comfortable with more lenses than the lightweight K-x does. But for a stroll on the city or simply an easy always-with-me-camera nothing can beat the K-x... And I love the navy blue metallic on my sample.

The K-S2 is a lovely camera, but the K-x is so sweet...
Thanks for this interesting insight!

Have an additional question - coming from the K-x grip, the K-S2 grip would be larger, and therefore, still be comfortable? I ask because a lot of the comments on the K-S2 grip is that it is not as comfortable to compared to the K-3 grip.

---------- Post added 12-19-15 at 10:18 PM ----------

Thanks for all the inputs, everybody!

Still doing the research... =)
12-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by agraspar Quote
I thought about that, but I think there are feature upgrades from the K-x that are useful (either as perceived by me, or actual )

Additional lenses, to follow.
That's cool, if you are planning on upgrading both camera and lenses, I guess it doesn't matter as much where to start.

But the point I was trying to make is that a K-x with a great lens, is going to take better pictures (IMHO) than a new camera with the 18-55 kit lens.

On the other hand having a newer camera when you buy the new lenses will allow you to see right away if the lens looks good on the higher resolution sensor. Either way I'm sure you'll be a happy camper