Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K10D LCD display question

I recently acquired a Pentax K10D and I'm in the process of learning the in's and out's of it. It came without an owner's manual, but most of it is SOMEWHAT self explanatory. However, I have an issue with the LCD screen that I cannot figure out and I'm hoping someone can help me out with it.

I have a K-50 and when I press the shutter release button half way down, the user info is displayed on the LCD screen on the back for a period of time, then is automatically turns itself off, according to how long I have it set for.

My question is.... can I also set the K10D to do the same thing?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

12-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Press the menu button. Then under setup (wrench icon), look for "guide display", then set the time limit. I have mine set to 3 sec.
12-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Press the menu button. Then under setup (wrench icon), look for "guide display", then set the time limit. I have mine set to 3 sec.

Paul, all that does is change the time that the info screen ON TOP stays lighted up. I'm talking about having the INFO showing on the big LCD screen on the BACK to light up, as it does with my K-50 and KX when I push the shutter release down half way. I've looked high and low trying to find the solution and I'm beginning to thing that that option is NOT available. You think?
12-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K10D, the rear LCD will stay on 3 sec, 10 sec, or not at all, by using the method I described above. My top LCD remains on whenever the camera is powered on. I don't know of a way to activate the info on the rear LCD by half-pressing the shutter button. I'm using back button AF by the way, so that might have something to do with it.

12-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
On my K10D, the rear LCD will stay on 3 sec, 10 sec, or not at all, by using the method I described above. My top LCD remains on whenever the camera is powered on. I don't know of a way to activate the info on the rear LCD by half-pressing the shutter button. I'm using back button AF by the way, so that might have something to do with it.

Yes, mine will too, but ONLY if I press the INFO or MENU button first. On my K-50 and Kx, by pressing the shutter release button half way down, the user info will light up on the rear LCD..... but not so on the K10D.
12-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yes, mine will too, but ONLY if I press the INFO or MENU button first. On my K-50 and Kx, by pressing the shutter release button half way down, the user info will light up on the rear LCD..... but not so on the K10D.
According to the manual, the rear guide display will only illuminate when the camera is switched on, when the mode is changed (e.g. M to Av or similar), or with press of the "Info" button and then only for the number of seconds stipulated in the setup menu, "Guide Display" (off, 1s, 3s, or 30s). Three seconds is the default. Unlike your K-50 or K-x, the K10D has a top LCD which provides a summary of the current settings. This allows the rear display to remain off except when needed in an effort to conserve battery power.

FWIW, in the seven years I shot with the K10D, I had the rear LCD turned off except for image review. My K-3 is similarly configured.

Steve
12-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
According to the manual, the rear guide display will only illuminate when the camera is switched on, when the mode is changed (e.g. M to Av or similar), or with press of the "Info" button and then only for the number of seconds stipulated in the setup menu, "Guide Display" (off, 1s, 3s, or 30s). Three seconds is the default. Unlike your K-50 or K-x, the K10D has a top LCD which provides a summary of the current settings. This allows the rear display to remain off except when needed in an effort to conserve battery power.

FWIW, in the seven years I shot with the K10D, I had the rear LCD turned off except for image review. My K-3 is similarly configured.

Steve

Ah.... that explains it. I've gotten so use to it being on like that on my K-50 that is just seems kind of strange NOT having it there. The K10D is a different breed of duck, as they say, isn't it? According to the reviews, there are many who think very highly of it, even though it's only a 10 MP camera and has an "outdated" sensor. I got the camera in some "horse trading," and it had an SMC Pentax DA 18-250mm lens that was what I was REALLY after, but I figured that I might as well play with the camera, too. It's been a very boring, cold, bleak last few weeks, to it's helping pass the time. It's certainly configured a lot different than my K-50, K-x , the older K2000 I had.

Is there any reason it was so highly thought of that you can relay? It has the same sensor that came with the K2000, didn't it? It just seems odd to me that the K2000 didn't have that much of a following and yet the K10D, with the same sensor has more of a "reputation."
12-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k10d.pdf
hhttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-m%2...3=Pentax+K200D
K-10D was a top of the range flagship DSLR, still use it, still love it, still popular
K-200D was a scale down version, the same sensor ,still in use by some people
K-m/K-2000 , very basic, the same sensor ( I think) not that popular

12-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

There is a "hiddden" feature you might want to know about. You can change ISO by pressing the ok-button and turning the front wheel, (unless you have the original firmware installed, then it doesn't work.)
12-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Is there any reason it was so highly thought of that you can relay?
It is thought of as sort of a classic. In many ways, it was a game-changer for the industry in that it had little competition at its price point and feature set.

The K10D's current popularity is based, at least partially, on some legendary quality of its CCD sensor. I cannot comment one way or the other except to say that I was happy with its low ISO performance during the seven years I shot with mine. The other reason for its popularity is the fact that the K10D simply works. It is a very well-made camera and had few (no?) known firmware or hardware bugs. It simply works.

Minus points?
  • AF performance
  • Quality at ISOs over 800 is merely acceptable
  • Unreliable stop-down (green button) metering...typical for that generation camera
FWIW, I consider the K20D to be a better all-round value in a very similar package and price point used.

Steve
12-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Pressing the INFO button on the back activates the informational display. So does turning the mode dial.
12-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Ah.... that explains it. I've gotten so use to it being on like that on my K-50 that is just seems kind of strange NOT having it there. The K10D is a different breed of duck, as they say, isn't it? According to the reviews, there are many who think very highly of it, even though it's only a 10 MP camera and has an "outdated" sensor. I got the camera in some "horse trading," and it had an SMC Pentax DA 18-250mm lens that was what I was REALLY after, but I figured that I might as well play with the camera, too. It's been a very boring, cold, bleak last few weeks, to it's helping pass the time. It's certainly configured a lot different than my K-50, K-x , the older K2000 I had.

Is there any reason it was so highly thought of that you can relay? It has the same sensor that came with the K2000, didn't it? It just seems odd to me that the K2000 didn't have that much of a following and yet the K10D, with the same sensor has more of a "reputation."
I think that part of the reason that the K10D has a better reputation than the K2000 is timing. The K10D was the first Pentax with a 10MP sensor. It was the first (along with the K100, whcih technically was a little before the K10D) to have shake reduction. It had two e-dials. It used a LiON battery. It was the first weather resistant Pentax slr.

I think that the K2000 suffered by not being more of an improvement over the K10D than it was. Given the advances in camera technology, I think that the K2000 was a disappointment. Not because it was inferior to the K10D, but because it not a big advance. To be fair, the K2000 was not the Pentax flagship product at the time. In its time, the K10D was the flagship. During the K10D era, the K100D and K110D (6MP) were the entry level slrs.

During the K2000 era it was the entry level. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think that the K5 was the flagship to the K2000 entry level. The K20D (14MP CMOS) had the K200D (10MP CCD).

BTW, I have made 16 x 20 enlargements from my K10D. Granted that was almost the entire, uncropped image, but, unless you get very close and use a magnifying glass, that picture is very sharp. And that was with the kit lens. If you need to do any serious cropping of the K10D image, you may limit the size of the print you can make, simply because there won't be enough pixels left. That IS one big advantage to having more pixels.

I've been and continue to be very happy with my K10D.
12-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great information and history of these camera models. I'm STILL in love with my K-50, but I'll continue to play with my new-to-me K10D. I also recently acquired a nice (400 SA!) K-x "Storm Trooper" that will provide some fun times. It's going back in time, so to speak, but still.... fun. The K10D came with a SMC DA 18-250mm ED AL (IF) lens that should provide some great times afield.