Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

What is That Felt Material In the Viewfinder Area?

A few weeks ago I noticed some dust looking into the viewfinder and blew it out with a blower no problem. All of a sudden, I had what was looking like a strand of hair on it. Couldn't blow it out and then realized it was behind the focusing screen. When I removed the lens I pointed the camera down towards my white table and saw some loose strands come out.

Upon further inspection, it looks like a piece of the felt material around the viewfinder area had tore off, causing the bits of strands that has since occasionally found their way behind the focusing screen after using my camera some days. Is this something that can be replaced or remove?

Either way, it's annoying because now when I take pictures I'm getting these black strands every now and then. I've attached a potato pic for reference.

Attached Images

12-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It's called the mirror dampener and yes they are easily replaced either by a pro or if you google it you'll find all sorts of DIY solutions. These are made of foam rubber and commonly break down in SLRs older than 20 years. Seems unusual to happen in a young DSLR. It must have gotten caught on something.
12-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you been tampering with the mirror bumper foam, it looks as if it's been trimmed a bit. The foam strips are there to cushion the shock when the mirror flips up and out of the way to allow light to expose the sensor. It should be replaceable but whether you want to tackle it yourself or not is up to you. I've replaced the foam strips on a Pentax 645 but not on a DSLR.
12-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
It's called the mirror dampener and yes they are easily replaced either by a pro or if you google it you'll find all sorts of DIY solutions. These are made of foam rubber and commonly break down in SLRs older than 20 years. Seems unusual to happen in a young DSLR. It must have gotten caught on something.
Funny you mention that. I have a K-7 and K-5 that looks absolutely brand new when looking into the viewfinder after so many years.

But my K-3 is just 8 months old...

---------- Post added 12-21-2015 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Have you been tampering with the mirror bumper foam, it looks as if it's been trimmed a bit. The foam strips are there to cushion the shock when the mirror flips up and out of the way to allow light to expose the sensor. It should be replaceable but whether you want to tackle it yourself or not is up to you. I've replaced the foam strips on a Pentax 645 but not on a DSLR.
I have not. I simply removed the lens and only visually took a look inside before touching.

I used tweezers to pop open the focus screen and blow out the strands that got behind it and that's all..

Sounds good to know I could replace it though... I don't necessarily have to but if I keep getting loose debris behind the focusing screen I just may consider it.

12-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As has been mentioned, the material is foam. I don't think you would get strands. I have seen globs and chunks but not strands. Maybe just a different choice of words?
12-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
As has been mentioned, the material is foam. I don't think you would get strands. I have seen globs and chunks but not strands. Maybe just a different choice of words?
Interesting.. the stuff that came out of the camera looked like strands though. I would think that clumps of foam would have spilled out but they definitely look like thick strands of hair.

Hopefully it stops at some point. I still have warranty on the K-3 until April so I may have to send it in if it keeps up.