Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with K-30 firmware update

HELP!!!!!!

After upgrading my K-30 to the latest firmware update (1.06), my camera will not work with "A" lenses! The "A" feature is not functioning properly, and if I change the aperature setting using the wheels, f22, for instance is open and f2.8 is stopped down! If I move the aperture ring from "A" to an aperture setting in AV or M modes the camera and lens work OK. Before the firmware update, everything worked fine!

At first, I thought it might be a problem with the lens, but I get the same result with all "A" lenses.

I've also updated the firmware in my K3, and it works fine with all the "A" lenses.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Wayne

12-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this happen during image capture and is it resulting in improper exposure? Note that the aperture is otherwise always wide open when a bayonet lens is mounted on the body.
12-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Does this happen during image capture and is it resulting in improper exposure? Note that the aperture is otherwise always wide open when a bayonet lens is mounted on the body.
Hi Adam, thanks for the reply....yes it happens during exposure. The automatic "A" setting on my Pentax A lenses, and aftermarket A lenses all appear to be stopped down all the way for every exposure in AV or M modes. I've even tried it in P mode, and obviously that shouldn't work and it doesn't. The image results are severly underexposed and usually just a black image. If I take the lens out of the auto A setting, and proceed to use the aperture ring settings manually, the exposures come out fine. Before the firmware upgrade, the A setting worked just like it's supposed to in AV mode.

Again, I've tried all my A lenses on my K3 to verify they work in the A setting and they do. I've also tried them on my old K100D body and the results are as they should be.

This is very frustrating as I love the K30, and probably use it twice as often as I use the K3. It has excellent image quality and performance. If I had some resource to flash the firmware back to an older version, I most certainly would.

Additionally, if in AV mode on the K30, I set the aperature in at the A setting and then adjust via the cameras software to f22, it takes the photo with some of the image clearly exposed although underexposed. If I open up the lens to f2.8, the exposure is completely black. So, in AV mode with the auto A setting on the lens, it appears that it works somewhat and in reverse. It's very strange.

WOW!! HERES ANOTHER UPDATE:

I just put on the kit lens...DA18-55mm. Later water proof model. Put the camera in P mode. Completely underexposed image. Put the camera in Green mode...completely underexposed. Activated the flash.....completely underexposed. What the heck is going on?

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by w6wat; 12-24-2015 at 08:48 PM.
12-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

IF you look at(or in) the lens on the camera and use OPtical preview...does is stops down?

12-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you think the aperture actuator may have failed? This is a fairly common problem for high-mileage K-30/K-50/K-500's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you think the aperture actuator may have failed? This is a fairly common problem for high-mileage K-30/K-50/K-500's.
Well, this may have been the case....I picked it up this evening, and put a manual 28 on it. I shot a few shot with different apertures and it worked fine. Then I put on a kit 18-55 lens, put it in AV and shot a few pics in burst mode. I probably shot 30 or so burst shots and it started working.

So, I tried to take a few individual pics with the kit lens in P, M, and AV modes and it worked. Then I put on an A 35mm lens in AV mode. It worked fine. Then I put it into M mode and the aperture is responding normally.

This is not a high mileage body, so I'm a bit puzzled. I guess it doesn't matter as it's back to working as it should. It's still a mystery, but it's working.

.................................well I spoke too soon. I went back and tried it again. Aperature not working in AV mode. Shot a burst or two, and it works again.........
thanks for your help everyone. It's appreciated. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Last edited by w6wat; 12-26-2015 at 12:28 AM.