Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

Pentax K-50 Demand on This Forum: Question about Group Buy

I have the opportunity to buy a large quantity of Pentax K-50s in brand-new condition. My question is, is there still demand around the Pentax folks for K-50's? Also, what price would you be willing to pay for a basic K-50 kit unused?

I'm just trying to establish a feel for the demand so I can negotiate a decent price. I don't want to buy 10-20 K-50s and overpay for every single one of them.

12-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Would this be body-only or some sort of kit offering?
12-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People still love the K-50. I'd consider $249 a bargain, and the current retail price of $299 to already be a really good deal. It's probably hard to compete with retailers on low-margin items like this one, though, especially considering that you'd be selling grey market units without a warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
It would actually be the K-50 & 18-55mm WR lens at least. I know, gray market stuff has it's issues.

12-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Adam. But things may change if the KS-2 price bumps up or as new K-50s become more scarce. As a photography teacher that requires all 240 students each year to have a DSLR, I highly recommend them to look at the K-50 before a Canon T5, Nikon D3300, or Pentax K-S1.

Price? Look at what's available in terms of kit contents and price with B&H, Adorama, and even Samy's. What price incentive would you need to make you pull out your wallet and buy what you're offering? Also you say "brand-new condition"; does that mean they are new? Or they are like-new, but used?
12-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
Brand new. But please keep in mind, I'm asking what YOU think. Not what other people think.
12-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
I have the opportunity to buy a large quantity of Pentax K-50s in brand-new condition. My question is, is there still demand around the Pentax folks for K-50's? Also, what price would you be willing to pay for a basic K-50 kit unused?

I'm just trying to establish a feel for the demand so I can negotiate a decent price. I don't want to buy 10-20 K-50s and overpay for every single one of them.
Greetings comrade. For the record, if you do the deal, I could be interested in one of the K-50 bodies. 249 USD or less sounds about right...
Thanks.

12-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget you have to ship them also, All the big camera dealers do that for free.
12-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not afraid of buying used camera gear third party, but I'm always cautious when a deal seems too good compared to big name retailers with established reputations and return policies. At their current sale prices I'd have to save about $50 on a K-50 if I was to buy it new, and that includes shipping. That said, a good deal would make me more likely to take a chance with an unknown seller, and $250 shipped for a brand new K-50 + 18-55 WR seems like a good deal to me.
12-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, just according to my own purchasing ideas, no warranty immediately lops at least $100 off the street price for what I'm willing to pay. There's a lot of peace of mind involved in knowing that any electronic issues usually become apparent early on and the device can be sent back for replacement/repair without question.

I think the K-50 is a great camera (same sensor as the K-5's), but no warranty always reduces significantly how much I'm willing to pay. If the store price is $300, that means a top end of $200 out of my pocket. I have no need for another kit lens, nor would many people buying another body. Having to sell off one or otherwise clutter up the storage is just a hindrance to me, not a plus.

That's one person's view of things.
12-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Even grey market products have warranty with many online retailers. Zero warranty essentially means a used camera so used camera prices apply.
You said "Pentax K-50s in brand-new condition." - this could mean refurbished returns or anything.
As others have said, you can pick up a genuinely brand new unit with full Pentax warranty quite cheap now. A better proposition if you ask me
12-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
I see what you all are saying. Since I'm not a regular camera dealer I wouldn't be able to make an agreement with Pentax to honor the warranty.

These cameras would be brand new. I repeated that they would be brand new in a second post. I will repeat again. They are brand new.

Anyway. I think it will be difficult to get them at the right price given the poor demand you guys have indicated so I probably won't go through with the bulk order. Thanks for your input.
12-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
I see what you all are saying. Since I'm not a regular camera dealer I wouldn't be able to make an agreement with Pentax to honor the warranty.

These cameras would be brand new. I repeated that they would be brand new in a second post. I will repeat again. They are brand new.

Anyway. I think it will be difficult to get them at the right price given the poor demand you guys have indicated so I probably won't go through with the bulk order. Thanks for your input.
There is a demand, but the decision to buy anything new raises the level of expectations for the security of a warranty. If you were talking about K5IIs, K3, or K3II, then I assume there'd be enough margin for you to make the price really compelling while allowing you to make some sort of profit worth your time. But with the K-50, the price is already so low with a warranty, unless Fedex dropped a case at your door by mistake, it's probably not going to be worth it for you.

Samy's Camera in LA had a Black Friday special running on the K-50 with the 18-55mm lens, but I doubt they made any profit on it and is just trying to drum up new customers for future purchases. Is there a demand for waffle makers? Not really, but on Black Friday for $5 at Target you'd think they were selling PS4s.
12-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Again, I think it all depends on the lens that is included. In 5 years time the K-50 will be sold on eBay (assuming it still works) for peanuts to make room for the next bulk buy camera deal. The lens stays.

If this bulk buy only includes one or both of the standard zoom kit lenses then the price ought to be ridiculously low. This kit is too common. Is there an option to make a two lens prime kit consisting of the DA 35 and DA 50?

Warranty coverage may be an issue for some people but if the camera is sold at the right price then it may be a smaller issue. I take about 10k shots a year. A kit costing $225, for example, will make every click cost 2 cents. After the 3 year, when I reach 30k clicks, and the aperture motor dies, I will consider the camera ready for my kid's take-apart pile. I keep the lenses.