Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

International travel, is it worth upgrading from K-30 to K-3/3ii?

My better half and I will be traveling to Japan in a few weeks. She is getting sent there for work. I plan to bring my K-30, DA* 16-50, Sigma 8-16mm, and a tripod. Will I see a significant improvement in photo sharpness if I upgrade to a K-3 or K-3ii? From the little reading I have done the major advancement comes in AF speed and accuracy which won't be very important if I'm taking pictures of stationary objects.

12-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
My better half and I will be traveling to Japan in a few weeks. She is getting sent there for work. I plan to bring my K-30, DA* 16-50, Sigma 8-16mm, and a tripod. Will I see a significant improvement in photo sharpness if I upgrade to a K-3 or K-3ii? From the little reading I have done the major advancement comes in AF speed and accuracy which won't be very important if I'm taking pictures of stationary objects.
No on the sharpness. The key to sharpness is the tripod.
12-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Beautiful lenses you use!

The K-3 will give you more resolution (24Mps), better sharpness without an AA filter, and in the case of the K3-II, pixel shifting to go with your tripod and stationary subjects.
12-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

Tough to answer...That K-30 with the lenses you have and a tripod is a very capable setup as is. If you really want to splurge for the new camera and you have the scratch, sure why not? You could also go with the K-30 and then scour the local shops for a deal on the K-3 variants while in Japan. That would be great fun. If not, I would not personally be worried about quality/sharpness with the setup you currently have.
12-26-2015, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The difference in IQ and sharpness is noticeable only if you print in A2-size or larger.
The other thing is that I wouldn't want to have an all-new untested camera on a trip liike that.
12-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
The difference in IQ and sharpness is noticeable only if you print in A2-size or larger.
The other thing is that I wouldn't want to have an all-new untested camera on a trip liike that.
I would agree with PePe - I travel a lot for my work, and would suggest that taking what you know is very good advice.

If you have a little money to spend could I suggest you purchase the HD DA 55-300 mm. It is an excellent zoom to travel with, and pretty light to carry in a bag. With the other two lenses you are planning to take that would cover the complete range of possible photography. There will be times when you will want a telephoto zoom.

My typical set up my travel day bag is 3 lenses with my K-3 - HD DA 20-40, HD DA 55-300, and a prime - usually the DA 15 Limited or DA 70 Limited depending on what I am planning to shoot. I used to have a DA*16-50 like you (it is an excellent lens for travel) but swapped it out for the HD DA 20-40 mainly to save weight, and also I found for my photography I didn't need the extra wide - and the DA 15 Limited could provide that when I needed it.

Enjoy your time in Japan.

Ross

12-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I would agree with PePe - I travel a lot for my work, and would suggest that taking what you know is very good advice.

If you have a little money to spend could I suggest you purchase the HD DA 55-300 mm. It is an excellent zoom to travel with, and pretty light to carry in a bag. With the other two lenses you are planning to take that would cover the complete range of possible photography. There will be times when you will want a telephoto zoom.

My typical set up my travel day bag is 3 lenses with my K-3 - HD DA 20-40, HD DA 55-300, and a prime - usually the DA 15 Limited or DA 70 Limited depending on what I am planning to shoot. I used to have a DA*16-50 like you (it is an excellent lens for travel) but swapped it out for the HD DA 20-40 mainly to save weight, and also I found for my photography I didn't need the extra wide - and the DA 15 Limited could provide that when I needed it.

Enjoy your time in Japan.

Ross
Thanks Ross, I also have a HD DA 55-300mm, is that a useful lens to bring on a trip like this?

Also, will a small tripod, such as this link provide most of the functionality of a full size tripod? Maybe I can place the camera on rocks and such and not have to bring my large tripod with me.

3Pod Mini Table Top Tripod with K1 Ballhead 3P-PTT1H
12-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Ross, I also have a HD DA 55-300mm, is that a useful lens to bring on a trip like this?

Also, will a small tripod, such as this link provide most of the functionality of a full size tripod? Maybe I can place the camera on rocks and such and not have to bring my large tripod with me.

3Pod Mini Table Top Tripod with K1 Ballhead 3P-PTT1H

I've found that my K-3 with an 18-135 is heavy enough that small ball heads sometimes creep unless I wrench them tight. With the 16-50 you have, it might be too much for the ball head on the tripod you linked. That one specifies up to 4 lbs, but I like to go for larger than have my camera suddenly tilt down and possibly hit something.

You might want too look into a collapsible monopod. With only one leg, a sturdy one weights much less than a tripod, and they can collapse pretty small.
12-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Yos
Veteran Member

If you don't plan to go hiking I would not think you would use your 55-300mm lens on your trip to Japan.
I never find the use for a longer lens when I am in a big city like Tokyo or Kyoto but everyone has their own style when taking photos.
12-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recently I went on a trip with a mini tripod like that and I regret it, get yourself a travel tripod that will fit in a carry on bag. Even before the mini tripod fell apart it had stability issues.
12-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I find while travelling that there are times when a tele-zoom is invaluable.

Say when you want to pull in something across a bay or river (and can't get close) or just getting close on some particular detail on a building. Same with wildlife - you often can't get close.

I really like landscapes and those sort of wide scenes myself - but on occasion a telephoto option is great and the HD DA 55-300 is a very good compromise between image quality and portability.
12-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you want better photo gear for your trip, I think your best bet would be something like an awesome travel tripod (I have the Sirui T025X and it is THE BEST) or a polarizing filter or ND filter or something. I think getting a new camera body right before a trip probably isn't a good idea because you won't have much experience with its workings yet.
12-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Travel tripod
Kit lens wr or that 20-40 wr
Plus a tele zoom or fast 50
2lens set up is enough
12-27-2015, 02:49 AM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

I travel worldwide up to 7 times per years. My travel kit is:
-K-3
-DA18-250mm
-a fast prime.

The DA18-250mm gives me an all-arounder with long reach if required.

For the fast prime, my selection depends where I go. My preference (in that order) are: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4, FA31mm f1.8, FA77mm f1.8, DA15mm Ltd. The Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is built like a tank, MF, fast and great IQ. It goes with me for 70% of my trips. The FA31mm and FA77mm are renown, but I use them when I need their respective focal length. The DA15mm is a wide angle. Not a truly fast prime, but it does not need much light and it is really sturdy (and small).

In a typical situation, I have the DA18-250mm mounted on the K-3 with my fast primes in my jacket pocket. The DA18-250mm is the workhorse. When the light is too low or the lighting poor (fogg, smoke, smogg), I switch to the prime.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 12-27-2015 at 05:44 AM.