Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Yeah, what they said, pizza mind.
...with extra cheese. Mmmm

12-27-2015, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #17

I agree with you Fenwoodian. I am simply not interested in weather seals, but in world-class glass and image quality in a small package. This is why I use the Limited series lenses.

I have photographed in the tropics back in the film days using the great Pentax MZ-S and F-series lenses with no problems, despite humidity so thick you could cut it with a knife, and despite being caught in hours-long tropical downpours.

I think many Pentaxians are enamored of weather seals because so many great Pentax cameras of the past lacked them. The MZ-S was one of the finest film cameras ever made, and certainly the most aesthetically refined camera I've ever used. And yet it lacked weather seals. It should have had them. That said, it never stopped me from doing what I needed to.

I think it's great Pentax is addressing this issue by outfitting newer gear with weather seals, but I hope they never forget that image quality is the most important consideration for most of us.
12-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll always welcome additional sealing, but having it or not won't change what I do, so I pretty much ignore it as a factor in equipment I lust after. Keep using your camera in light rain, mist, snow, etc. If you happen to have a WR combo, great, if not you're no worse off than before.
12-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've been an outdoors photographer for many decades.

Up until a year ago, I never had a weather resistant camera body or lens.

While I've never been one to shoot during a downpour, I none-the-less have not been shy about shooting in mist, light rain, and snow.

I never have put any type of protection over my cameras, yet in all of my years of outdoor shooting, I've never had any problems with water getting into my cameras or lens. Certainly have never
had any damage to my camera equipment due to inclimate weather.

While I now have WR Pentax gear, it's not a feature that's a big deal to me.

Might someone else who also shoots extensively in the out-of-doors enlighten me as to what's the big deal about weather resistant lenses and cameras?
What is the deal with the question? WR is value added at little or no cost to us. It works.

12-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I've been an outdoors photographer for many decades.

Up until a year ago, I never had a weather resistant camera body or lens.

While I've never been one to shoot during a downpour, I none-the-less have not been shy about shooting in mist, light rain, and snow.

I never have put any type of protection over my cameras, yet in all of my years of outdoor shooting, I've never had any problems with water getting into my cameras or lens. Certainly have never
had any damage to my camera equipment due to inclimate weather.

While I now have WR Pentax gear, it's not a feature that's a big deal to me.

Might someone else who also shoots extensively in the out-of-doors enlighten me as to what's the big deal about weather resistant lenses and cameras?
Maybe that one single time/event/occasion/incident when you will NEED WR .... you will be happy to have it and it will be so a big deal.
12-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

In poor weather, mist or dust filled air, the longer the zoom range and/or the longer the focus throw the more valuable weather sealing is for a lens.
12-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I regularly go hill walking in the Scottish highlands. To keep my camera handy I carry it around my neck, or in the future clipped to my backpack's strap. Naturally it rains a lot, and I just cannot be bothered to take off my backpack and stow the camera for every single of often multiple daily downpours.
12-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I mostly shoot prime lenses.

On my K3ii I mostly shoot: FA limiteds (not WR), Zeiss ZK lenses (not WR), 20-40 DA zoom (WR), 15mm DA (not WR), 100mm DA (WR), 55mm f/1.4 (WR), 2 Samyang lenses (not WR), and a Voightlander (not WR) lenses.

Because I never shoot in dust storms or downpours I'm in the habit of just pulling out the lens I want based on FL and IQ, paying little regard to WR.

If Pentax offered WR lenses for $50 cheaper in a non-WR version, I'd go with the non-WR version and save the money.

I'd expect that many photographers who are primarily portrait or studio shooters also have little need for WR and would rather not have WR if it would save them some money.

Also, for all of my serious, fine art photos, I shoot only with my manual focus prime lenses. Again, auto-focus is a feature that does not appeal to me on the FA Limiteds (for example). If I were to buy my FA Limiteds again, I'd love to be able to buy them if offered at a lower price without autofocus.

Why don't camera and lens manufacturers allow us to pick and choose what options we get in our cameras and lenses. Personally, I would prefer a Pentax full frame that does not have: shake reduction, auto-focus, and video capabilities. I'd much prefer to save money and get stripped down cameras and lenses.

They do something like this with bows and arrows. Years ago I shot a simple recurve bow, then I shot a compound bow with pulleys and gears. Now many archers have decided to give up their complex ultra-modern compound bows, and have gone back to the simple recurve bow (or even simpler long bows).

I long for a simple, basic Pentax full frame that has a modern sensor, and only manual adjustments for: ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Don't need or want a built-in light meter, or any of the other fancy bells and whistles!

Pentax, sell a tricked out K1 for $2800 USD, but also sell a bare bones one for $1400!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-27-2015 at 11:23 AM.
12-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I lost my first telephoto lens to mould after a canoe trip, and it was never exposed to rain mist or fog, so, whatever you might say, I've already been burned once, I'll do what it takes to make sure it doesn't happen again. I still use my non- WR lenses out doors in wet weather but not if I don't have to. I you really believe no one's ever lost an lens to mould because of moisture getting into the lens, you mint want to discuss this with any reputable repair technician. I'm sure they'll tell you it happens.

Or was this all about you?
12-27-2015, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I mostly shoot prime lenses.

On my K3ii I mostly shoot: FA limiteds (not WR), Zeiss ZK lenses (not WR), 20-40 DA zoom (WR), 15mm DA (not WR), 100mm DA (WR), 55mm f/1.4 (WR), 2 Samyang lenses (not WR), and a Voightlander (not WR) lenses.

Because I never shoot in dust storms or downpours I'm in the habit of just pulling out the lens I want based on FL and IQ, paying little regard to WR.

If Pentax offered WR lenses for $50 cheaper in a non-WR version, I'd go with the non-WR version and save the money.

I'd expect that many photographers who are primarily portrait or studio shooters also have little need for WR and would rather not have WR if it would save them some money.

Also, for all of my serious, fine art photos, I shoot only with my manual focus prime lenses. Again, auto-focus is a feature that does not appeal to me on the FA Limiteds (for example). If I were to buy my FA Limiteds again, I'd love to be able to buy them if offered at a lower price without autofocus.

Why don't camera and lens manufacturers allow us to pick and choose what options we get in our cameras and lenses. Personally, I would prefer a Pentax full frame that does not have: shake reduction, auto-focus, and video capabilities. I'd much prefer to save money and get stripped down cameras and lenses.

They do something like this with bows and arrows. Years ago I shot a simple recurve bow, then I shot a compound bow with pulleys and gears. Now many archers have decided to give up their complex ultra-modern compound bows, and have gone back to the simple recurve bow (or even simpler long bows).

I long for a simple, basic Pentax full frame that has a modern sensor, and only manual adjustments for: ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Don't need or want a built-in light meter, or any of the other fancy bells and whistles!

Pentax, sell a tricked out K1 for $2800 USD, but also sell a bare bones one for $1400!
Comparing the manufacture process of a bow with a camera is like comparing a skate board to an automobile. It just isn't economically feasible to do much else other than change the color of the body. I had the same frustration years ago when I needed to replace my SUV. I had a '87 Mitsubishi Montero that cost $13K, but just five years later, SUVs became luxury vehicles costing double the price. To this day I miss tweaking a manual choke, opening the wing window, and still love to drive a manual stick....but that's getting harder to find.

Perhaps one day, someone will design the ultimate manufacturing process where you can custom order everything from what you mentioned and more. Where's my MF titanium body that shoots digital and film interchangeably?
12-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #26

This summer I was out hiking and took a pretty long walk to a waterfall. Glad I brought my 18-135mm for the trek because after a while it started pouring. My family panicked when it started raining and nearly broke my K-3 trying to hide it in one of their bags while I was swimming.. thankfully, I bragged about how it's "water proof" and we walked back to our cars (10 minutes up and down terrain) with no issues.

Needless to say, WR is impressive.. especially when people don't realize your gear can take it.

I also have to mention the next day we were at a wedding. The "pros" were using Canon and it started raining again. Their crews had to come out with umbrellas to protect the poor cameras from getting wet. Guess what I did? I stayed put and shot in the rain which baffled the said pros...

So is WR important? Yes..
12-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the difference between taking your camera or leaving it when the weather's dicey. Getting caught in the rain with WR gear it's still wise to protect the camera as much as possible, but trusting your equipment makes a big difference.

I was doing some insect survey work this summer and while it was just light rain no problem. Of course when it started pouring the insects were sheltering anyway so we went back to the cars just before the torrential downpour started. It was kind of fun to be the only one still using a camera at that point.
12-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Outdoor photography is unpredictable and having that extra assurance, sometimes is the difference between getting the shot or staying indoors.

Yesterday morning I set out to the highlands for a cityscape but upon arrival, the the conditions were flat and along the coastal areas below, there might be a chance for some morning sky glow, so I opted for Plan B at the beach. Hiking out along the crashing waves, I knew the nature of my outing had just changed as I would be wading in the surf. I had some water shoes in my trunk but other than that I was dressed only for dry weather. Then the pre-dawn light began to pop and it dictated that I get close to the rocks, a few feet inside the shore break in order to frame up the best shots. At that point I worried about what might get wet: my wallet, cell phone, car keys, intervalometer, pants, tripod latches, etc, and arranged them accordingly. At no time did I worry about my camera and lens as I was confident it could handle the punishment. I got pretty battered and at the end just put the camera back in my bag and hiked back to the car.

I have been on similar outings with fellow photogs with non-sealed gear that quit working at the first splash. WR is a real benefit.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-29-2015 at 10:05 AM.
12-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #29
Pentaxian

It costs money to make an exception to the assembly-line process or to ramp up a second line. I doubt it would be cost-effective for Pentax to have too many flavors of too many products. Things like the engineering involved in removing the AF module would be pretty expensive. And marketing would hate it. And there would be nitwit consumers who wouldn't understand and badmouth Pentax.

Also, Pentax has somewhat positioned itself as the "all weather" camera company. Best to live up to that billing as much as possible. Adding a few seals doesn't increase the cost all that much, once the engineering is done. And once the engineering is done, best to utilize the results as much as possible to spread out the costs.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I lost my first telephoto lens to mould after a canoe trip, and it was never exposed to rain mist or fog, so, whatever you might say, I've already been burned once, I'll do what it takes to make sure it doesn't happen again. I still use my non- WR lenses out doors in wet weather but not if I don't have to. I you really believe no one's ever lost an lens to mould because of moisture getting into the lens, you mint want to discuss this with any reputable repair technician. I'm sure they'll tell you it happens.

Or was this all about you?
Says the guy whose post included "I" six times.
12-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I would prefer a Pentax full frame that does not have: shake reduction, auto-focus, and video capabilities. I'd much prefer to save money and get stripped down cameras and lenses.
Running dual lines of the same model would not save us money; rather end up costing more for both models.