Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the big deal about "Weather Resistance"?

I've been an outdoors photographer for many decades.

Up until a year ago, I never had a weather resistant camera body or lens.

While I've never been one to shoot during a downpour, I none-the-less have not been shy about shooting in mist, light rain, and snow.

I never have put any type of protection over my cameras, yet in all of my years of outdoor shooting, I've never had any problems with water getting into my cameras or lens. Certainly have never
had any damage to my camera equipment due to inclimate weather.

While I now have WR Pentax gear, it's not a feature that's a big deal to me.

Might someone else who also shoots extensively in the out-of-doors enlighten me as to what's the big deal about weather resistant lenses and cameras?

12-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Ive also used non resistant gear in damp conditions. I think it would be handy for sports shooters where the game isnt cancelled by rain. If its raining out i go inside.
12-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Peace of mind?
12-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

12-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Up until a year ago, I never had a weather resistant camera body or lens
Do they call you "LUCKY" ?
12-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

They should...
Even "pro" weather sealled gear find it's limits if really used in challenging conditions.
12-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I, too, have shot in light rain and snow with non-WR equipment. Of course they are protected when not actually engaged in taking the shot, so spend only a short period of time exposed.

12-26-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Having WR can be the difference between shooting and having either a camera that has shut down (usually only temporarily) or a lens that has fogged up or is quicker to develop hazing from fungus or mold.

In about an hour, I've gone from the 10,000 foot summit of Haleakala on Maui (about 40F and 15% RH) to sea level (about 85F and 80% RH). The internal condensation on a camera and the fogging in the lens of non-WR gear will take anywhere from an hour to a couple days to dry out and until then DSLRs often just won't function. Microclimates in caves or around waterfalls, or just going from a dry cool air conditioned car or building to warm humidity can be problematic.

Also if you live near the ocean or on a boat, the salt in the air can quickly corrode equipment and shorten its life. But for most of us that are actively shooting outdoors, I'd say it's a short term issue perhaps twice a year. But for longevity, I have many more older primes and WR zooms that are extremely clean vs. non-WR zooms that have dust, mold, fungus, or just haze that I've "retired".
12-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was just about to say-- where's Heie?
12-26-2015, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're being paid to get shots in weather like this....

....it's worth it.
12-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #11

it keeps my camera out and not in the bag. I had a camera out in the rain one day and it did well in the wet environment, In may I got caught with another brand in the rain and it started to go a bit haywire.
12-27-2015, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #12

Don't need WR huh?
Try photographing in this every year. Three years and counting with my K-5. No problem.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-27-2015, 12:09 AM - 2 Likes   #13

And this too...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-27-2015, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Peace of mind?
+1

I need to shoot in all weather, including foul weather, subtropical storms, sand storm, splashes, from a boat... WR is my piece of mind.

Off course WR is not all. You need to take care of your gear: TLC (tender, love and care). After any foul weather shoot-out, I would take care of my gears (Lenses, camera), let them dry, clean any dust/dirt....

WR is NOT over-rated. I remember once shooting a wind storm along the coastline. There were several people with Canikons, well protected in their storage bags, and not shooting. I was with my K-7 and got great shots. The only shooter was a guy with a waterproof P&S camera.

Last edited by hcc; 12-27-2015 at 03:07 AM.
12-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, what they said, pizza mind.