Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WR is just what it says. My old K10 died in a down pour in Puerto Rico a few years back. Turns out it was the best thing that happened... I was "forced" to buy the K5iis and haven't looked back since

Randy.

01-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine had a Canon DSLR which stopped working after he took some waterfall pictures. Canon denied his warranty claim, as the damage was caused by mist getting into the camera. He was pretty bummed about months of saving down the tube.

This incident certainly factored into my choosing to buy a K-50 over another camera.

I didn't get rained on during my last photo hike. I'm a little disappointed. I wanted some WR bragging rights.
01-01-2016, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Please don't get carried away, gents.

They're not waterproof, and someone posted today about their K-3 II/18-135 that stopped working shooting soccer.

Pentax won't cover you for water damage any more than Canon.
01-01-2016, 02:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

As much as possible I try not to get my cameras and WR lenses wet despite the rating. It's just a little insurance that in case you get them wet, you're safe. Bit as Clackers said, Pentax will charge for repairs for water damage.

01-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

A half-mile hike from the truck and an instant downpour. Pic was taken when I got back to the truck.

Not the first time I got caught out in the rain with WR equipment. I'm confident enough in my gear that knowing that it may rain doesn't even bother me.

Everybody checks their batteries and SD cards before they go out, but do you ever check your weather sealing? I'm talking about the weather sealing that you can access. The rubber ring on the bottom of your lens, or the rubber caps that cover plugs on the camera, and the battery and memory card door seals? Always check these. Make sure they are clean, in good condition, and close properly. Make sure there's no dirt or dust on those seals.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 01-01-2016 at 07:29 PM.
01-01-2016, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another first hand experience of its benefits.
Lower Antelope canyon visit, a storm blew through 15 minutes into our photo tour... (yes, there were some nervous thoughts about flash flooding, but they have greatly improved their alert systems)... anyway; dust was swirling around making it hard to even keep your eyes open, which was soon followed by a sharp short shower. When it passed, all cameras in the group were coated in a red, fine mud, which we cleaned away the best we could from our Pentax's and kept shooting. Another person in the group did not have weather sealing and despite her best efforts to protect the camera under her jacket during the little storm, after a couple of shots the lens zoom & AF stopped working and the camera died shortly afterwards.

She was visibly upset and was amazed the Pentaxes had kept working.

When we got back to the motel and sat down outside with a beer to clean them a number of passerbys commented on the state of them and were surprised when I was able to demonstrate that they still worked perfectly well.

This was several years ago and both those cameras are working to this day.

I would say it is essential .

PS: Lenses were Da 17-70 & 50 -135

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 01-01-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: see ps
01-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
WR is just what it says. My old K10 died in a down pour in Puerto Rico a few years back. Turns out it was the best thing that happened... I was "forced" to buy the K5iis and haven't looked back since
I've been walking near the ocean toward El Morro there recently; first with Canon, then with K5iis. There was misty "fog" of tiny salt water. Then after I've tried to take pics, but the result was blurred. I cleaned the lens, but it's something more, I feel like my Canon needs more cleaning now to work as before.
Nothing similar happened to my Pentax however.
Here is edited picture with Canon after the walk, originally it was more "washed"

Attached Images

01-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #38
Unregistered User

I only use prime lenses indoors, where it don't make no difference. But I did get WR lenses for playing outside. What I've wondered about is the physical interface between the WR lens and the WR camera - there's no seal or "O" ring as I can tell, and I'm thinking, if there's no WR there, then there's sort of no WR anywhere. Any chink in the armor is a point of penetration, no?
01-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I only use prime lenses indoors, where it don't make no difference. But I did get WR lenses for playing outside. What I've wondered about is the physical interface between the WR lens and the WR camera - there's no seal or "O" ring as I can tell, and I'm thinking, if there's no WR there, then there's sort of no WR anywhere. Any chink in the armor is a point of penetration, no?
I only have one sealed lens (DA*300mm), but it has a black O-ring outside the electrical contacts to form a seal with the body. It's not protruding or obvious.

What WR lens do you have?
01-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
there's no seal or "O" ring as I can tell
There is an O ring on WR lenses it is quite obvious. Red rubberized material. No WR lense then the Camera WR is not complete. Same as if you leave the SD card port open or partially open or any other port for that matter. Your own diligence is required of course to insure WR.
01-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #41
Unregistered User

SMC DA 50-200 F4-5.6 ED WR & SMC DA 18-55 F3.5-5.6 AL WR; closer inspection w/magnifying glass reveals presence of red rubber ring around the outer edge of both lenses, sho'nuff. I reckon the problem is that it's not as obvious to me as it might be, as I've got red-green color blindness (and that's why I always set the saturation level to "natural" and almost never mess with color balance in pictures). So, thanks for that, you've made my mind full of pizza. (A reference to some much earlier posts for those who only read the tail end of threads.)
01-02-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7bpGiLKFDs#t=9m14s
01-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
whoa
01-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesf Quote
whoa
whoa x 10 I hid my K3 so that guy cant get anywhere near it !!!!!
That camera goes on eBay open Package
01-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Apparently weather resistant= water proof. Good to see the ks2 held its own against a dunking, cant say ill ever do that to one of my cameras.