Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Memory card SD vs microSD

Hello,
recently i ordered a memory card for my Pentax K-50.
I wanted full size SD card SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 32GB U3 4K 95MB/s - SDSDXPA-032G-X46, but I received microSD SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDHC 32GB 95MB/s - SDSDQXP-032G-X46A. Price is the same, but what about performance and usage? This memory card will be used only with my K-50, so I don't need microSD. Should I bother about it?

Last edited by HanSolo; 12-28-2015 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Linking to store.
12-28-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HanSolo Quote
Hello,
recently i ordered a memory card for my Pentax K-50.
I wanted full size SD card SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 32GB U3 4K 95MB/s - SDSDXPA-032G-X46, but I received microSD SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDHC 32GB 95MB/s - SDSDQXP-032G-X46A. Price is the same, but what about performance and usage? This memory card will be used only with my K-50, so I don't need microSD. Should I bother about it?
I'd try to get it exchanged for a normal SD if possible. Performance should be the same, but due to the smaller casing, the micro cards are more susceptible to physical damage, including heat.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-28-2015, 02:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Provided it came with the full size adapter sleeve, the whole business together should work just like a normal SD card. Or at least that's what I have been told about these things.
12-28-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Although I have never used a micro SD with an adapter, it should work. That said, if it wasn't what you ordered, return it. I really don't like getting a substitute product because somebody thinks it's "just as good" and they don't want to loose a sale. Send it back and make them pay for their arrogance.

12-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #5

Head guy of the Pentax repair service in my country once told me, after he saw me having a microSD card in adapter in my camera, that I should avoid that kind of setup. He had a Pentax camera on repair that got its slot fried because the contact between card adapter and card was poor and it had been sparking. The card was not totally fried but it rendered the card useless. Files that were on the card got corrupted ( saying the files were 2+GB each) and when he tried formatting the card he couldn't, no writing on the card via computer was possible either. And the card in this incident was a sandisk with original sandisk adapter. I personally beleive the story, BUT, I think that who knows under what circumstances that happened, maybe the card was not inserted completely in the slot, making a contact with adapter just bareley. I think that is a million to one chance to happen to someone.

But still, I prefer using a SD card in SD card slot, I hate those little chips of plastic, they are ok for phones and gopros and other small devices that benefit from that size and where you usually do not take out the card often. And also where I live, microSD cards are usually a bit more expensive than full size SD cards.
12-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax designed their cameras using SD cards. I believe that's what we should use.
12-28-2015, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The only time I would bother with micro sd and adapters is if you will transfer data straight from camera to a device that only has micro SD, like some tablets and smartphones. It is better to get the correct thing than to adapt, and if you ordered and paid for a regular SD, that is what you should get.
Too bad you have to go through the trouble of refunding, but that is most likely the best choice. Unless you have some good use for that micro SD in another device, and will just buy a regular SD at another store.

12-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would return it. Having an adapter is just something else that could fail. Especially if you handle it often.
12-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also recommend returning an item you did not order, and getting the one you did order.
12-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would return it. Having an adapter is just something else that could fail. Especially if you handle it often.
Agree--it's an unnecessary vulnerability.
12-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your support.
I also think, I should get that what I ordered, not substitute. I contacted the seller. He apologized me and told that the card will be replaced for full size SD as was my order. I just sent back the microSD, so I must be patient for another week i think. I can't wait..

2016-01-04 Update
Hello Again,
I've just received full size SD card. I can't wait to place it in my camera and burst shoot some action
Thanks again for your opinions!

Last edited by HanSolo; 01-04-2016 at 06:48 AM.