Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Tech/advise help on SD card

The problem I have is that one 'folder' in a series of pics taken on my K3, shows a 'write or read' error. You can see the pics in the camera, but will not upload to hard drive, as copy/transfer. I do have a recover program that worked, but my question is what could have caused the error on the card? Should I leave the 'folder' there so that spot is taken? Can I delete some other 'folders' to keep using the card? Will that make the bad folder move to a different spot? The brand is ADATA, fast card, 32gb. Most of you would probably just use another card as this may not be dependable, I agree. This also happened on my K20 with another brand. I don't blame the camera just want to know how this happened. Just a bad card? thanks. Any advise, comments?

12-28-2015, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any SD card gets one chance. Any error and it goes in the trash, no questions asked. I've had that policy since I started with digital. I cannot afford to lose any images. YMMV depending on your situation.

I always copy all files to the computer and then once the transfer is verified I format the SD card in the camera. This writes a new file table each time. I have seen reports that just deleting the files will sometimes eventually cause errors. That has never happened to me, and whether that is because of my procedure or just luck I've no idea.

I only use Sandisk Extreme Pro. The additional cost is insignificant over time and the speed and confidence is worth it to me. If you use only one card why not only use the best? If you use a lot of cards then it is likely your images are important to you and again, why not use the best?
12-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter

WIth the K3 you have the ability to have two cards and have them mirror each other. Also, you might check out this deal on some Sandisck Extreme Pro cards.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/310590-sandisk-64gb...ml#post3472484
12-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Yeah, about those extreme pros.

My 64gb has corrupted spots right around the 16gb mark. Not sure if it's an indicator of a trend, but just a mention that no brand is flawless.

12-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
Yeah, about those extreme pros.

My 64gb has corrupted spots right around the 16gb mark. Not sure if it's an indicator of a trend, but just a mention that no brand is flawless.
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Contact SanDisk and request a replacement for your bad card. I had on old card that failed. After brief 'confirming' back and forth with SanDisk, they promptly replaced it.

No problem. Just sayin'... M
Yup, these cards come with a lifetime limited warranty. Haven't had any SD's go bad yet, but the microSD in my phone almost died, and they replaced it within days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

Probably a good idea. I was just out birding. fresh format on the card. I think maybe half the images are corrupt.
12-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are many reasons why a memory card can get corrupted or has errors. Although I trust SanDisk more than others, they are not immune to losing data. That's why they support a recovery software.
Common reasons why cards get corrupted include:
Multiple use in multiple cameras.
Files deleted on the computer, but the trash is not emptied.
Renaming the file on the computer and saving to the card.
Exposure to extreme heat or electromagnetic fields.
Solar storms.
Manufacturing defect.

Assuming it is not a manufacturing defect, did you do any of the other causes above? How old are the cards and how many shots have been written to them total?

And the solar storm thing is real. I worked at the second one-hour photo lab in the US back in the early 80s. Noritsu would send us weekly solar activity warnings as the equipment was not shielded for ion storms and actually would disrupt electronics when it was bad enough. I've seen this happen and when you're aware of the solar flares and activity, and work with tons of electronics, you'll see the effect and it's ignorant to dismiss it to just an anomaly. The earth's atmosphere is pretty good at shielding us, but not 100%. I've also had issues on mountains and volcanic activity where there is high iron content or the earth's crust is thin and magma comes to the surface, like on the Big Island of Hawaii and Maui. Lots of red earth? That's iron and enough of it will affect electronics.
12-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Any SD card gets one chance. Any error and it goes in the trash, no questions asked. I've had that policy since I started with digital. I cannot afford to lose any images. YMMV depending on your situation.

I always copy all files to the computer and then once the transfer is verified I format the SD card in the camera. This writes a new file table each time. I have seen reports that just deleting the files will sometimes eventually cause errors. That has never happened to me, and whether that is because of my procedure or just luck I've no idea.

I only use Sandisk Extreme Pro. The additional cost is insignificant over time and the speed and confidence is worth it to me. If you use only one card why not only use the best? If you use a lot of cards then it is likely your images are important to you and again, why not use the best?
I second this almost word for word. I also, now, use both slots with the same Extreme Pro cards in duplicate mode. I only remove the card in slot 2, thinking that eventually the card slot may fail, but then I'll have at least slot 1 left that works.

I never edit or delete files on cards from my computer and believe formatting in camera after each download is likely to prevent inheriting any data table errors. I obviously back up all files on my PC before the card format ;-) - always ...

I also never buy the latest highest density cards, believing that smaller density cards will have been customer tested for longer and problems fixed.

12-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Hi
A while ago I captured a lot of images from a herd of deers. I could review the images on the camera's LCD. When I came home, all RAW images were there, but they had no content (i.e. they were all white, except for the thumbnails as far as I can remember). The SD card I used is now buried deep in a garbage landfill. Since then I always trash a card immediately on its first failure. I can't stand the feeling that the image I just took might not be retrievable when I come home.
12-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

I swapped over to some Samsung 32GB Pro cards. Reviews on them where good, and none of the Gear I have goes past its rated Specs. Really cut down on Buffering for the Pentax Q. Reasoning: They where on sale for Around 20$CAD and I didn`t have to order them. They seem to operate well so far, so I`m not worried.
12-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
The card I put in my camera was brand new, only original format. Too bad, I guess I may go to ADATA for replacement(?)