Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Extended 2 Year Warranty Discontinued?

I purchased an extended Pentax warranty for a K-50 in November this year. I ended up selling the K-50 and bought a K-S2. I ended up returning the warranty because it needs to be purchased AFTER buying the camera. But when I checked their website to re-purchase it's now listed as 'No Longer Available'. I spoke with a B&H rep via chat and they told me the item is discontinued . I checked with Adorama and they have it available for purchase but it's On Backorder.

Does this mean it actually is discontinued? Is it possible they will renew it under a different Product Code/SKU? I came across a thread from a couple years back where someone was saying the warranty availability showed as 'No Longer Available', but then the Product Code changed and it was available again.

If anyone has any insight on this I'd appreciate it. It would suck if Pentax is no longer offering the extended warranty at such an affordable price.

12-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I would guess Ricoh is renaming the product. Pentax Professional Service became Ricoh Advantage (in two flavors). If that's the case they'll probably have a grace or "amnesty" period to cover equipment bought during the transition.
12-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes it just means they're out of the Warranty cards at Ricoh Imaging. Sometimes it means they want to wait until the start of the next quarter to incur more warranty liability. Who knows?
12-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H seems to list everything as discontinued when they are out of stock.

12-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I just purchased a K3 ll from B&H and they were offering a non brand warranty which costs more. I didn't purchase it. I too checked Adorama and ran into the back ordered situation also. Although you with them you can still order it and wait.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-30-2015 at 05:38 AM.
12-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I rolled the dice on the 2 year warranty from Square Trade on B & H website. Just seemed convenient. But it's the first camera I've bought on line so what do I know. I've spent $50.00 on riskier ventures.
12-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
a5m
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. Those were the few reasons that crossed my mind too, that they are either renaming the product, are out of stock, or are waiting for the new year to release more/new cards. I have a little over three weeks to stay within the 30 day period to buy it so I will wait and see what happens. There are third party warranties also like DW58 mentioned, either Square Trade or Mack.

Does anyone know if I needed to send in the camera for service, would I need to send in the receipt for the warranty or the warranty card also?
12-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I was actually looking at this today and saw that when you put a K-3 II in your cart at Adorama they offer a warranty that includes drops and spills from some place called New Leaf. The 5 year one is only $62. Anyone know more about this warranty provider? Since I'm looking at picking up a K-3 II soon enough I had planned to get the 2 year Pentax but is that warranty "full" coverage covering drops and spills and all that good stuff too?

01-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I bought my K3 from Adorama and declined their third party extended warranty. After two days I bought extended warranty but it is still back ordered. The product page specifically says that the extended warranty must be purchased with in 30 days, so if the back order does not get filled within 30 days, will it have any value?

Clarification: The extended warranty that I bought is the one provided by Pentax

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 01-08-2016 at 10:29 AM.
01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I bought my K3 from Adorama and declined their third party extended warranty. After two days I bought extended warranty but it is still back ordered. The product page specifically says that the extended warranty must be purchased with in 30 days, so if the back order does not get filled within 30 days, will it have any value?
I would say the warranty will retain it's value; simply because you purchased it within the 30 day period. Just be sure to keep any paperwork showing you purchased it, within the time period.
01-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I would say the warranty will retain it's value; simply because you purchased it within the 30 day period. Just be sure to keep any paperwork showing you purchased it, within the time period.
Don't we have to register the extended warranty card?
01-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Don't we have to register the extended warranty card?
I did not when I sent my K-3 in to be repaired. Just the card itself and the supporting documentation.

M
01-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
a5m
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just thought I'd let everyone know that B&H now has the warranty back in stock ...ramseybuckeye was spot on about that one.

Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh Cameras
01-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
Just thought I'd let everyone know that B&H now has the warranty back in stock ...ramseybuckeye was spot on about that one.

Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh Cameras
If you notice it still shows as discontinued
01-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #15
a5m
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
If you notice it still shows as discontinued
Wow you're right. That must have been the one that I recently returned to them. So I guess they listed that one as in stock and since I purchased it it's out of stock again.