Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you plan to upgrade to a new 20+MP Pentax in 2016?
Most likely Yes 7134.30%
Most likely No 12258.94%
Plan on switching camera systems 41.93%
Film, baby! 104.83%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 04:11 AM   #106

A lot of people considering upgrading to full frame. From sample images I've seen, as well as comments, I'm really curious if the K1 really does offer performance that is that much more above and beyond what we currently get with APS-C. I would like to have full frame, however, if the sample images I've seen thus far are any indication, I'll be holding off. I do plan to get the 31mm F1.8 and 77mm F1.8 so the glass will be there. What I'm curious about is comparing shots using these great Limited lenses and seeing how much better they look with the K1 compared with say, a K3? If you keep the glass constant, how much better will the full frame perform? That is what I will be looking for.

02-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mahadragon Quote
if the sample images I've seen thus far are any indication...how much better will the full frame perform? That is what I will be looking for.
I would not base my decision on upgrading from APS-C to FF based on the sample images. When the K-1 comes out, I trust one of our awesome PF members will post side by side comparisons with a K-3 or K-3II, and that will give you a better appreciation of the differences. Also note that web or monitor resolution does not show the full resolution and dynamic range qualities compared to an enlarged print. Ultimately for prints shooting in AdobeRGB instead of sRGB color space will improve the color bit depth.

New features aside, the main improvement going to FF includes:
-Higher resolution and greater ability to crop without losing resolution or to enlarge prints
-Greater dynamic range
-Lower light performance
-Wider angle of view given equivalent focal lengths
-Less depth-of-field and better bokeh

In other words, sample images shot in daylight with low contrast conditions at mid-range focal lengths and great depth-of-field viewed on a monitor are not going to look appreciably better in FF vs. APS-C.

But if your needs for "performance" are things like lighter/smaller body, more depth-of-field, smaller RAW files for faster processing in PP, then APS-C has the advantage. And the smart money goes to time or travel to take photos. The 'spare change' should go in improving your lenses. Once you've hit the ceiling with those two, it is time to step up to FF or MF.
02-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To be honest, I would love a K-1 but I can't justify it for a mere hobby until my hobby starts impressing my wife

My K-50 is my practice camera in many ways. I am learning how to not destroy a delicate tool and I am learning how to take good pictures. In 3 or so years, if my pictures justify the extra resolution, I will upgrade to a k-3 or equivalent. And if I continue to take my wife's breath away with my photography then she might let me get a full frame and lenses for it. Or I could just get it and sleep on the couch for a year... that's a tempting option too.
02-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voted: I already moved on with the K3 from the K5.
.... 16 to 24 MP

02-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #110
Pentaxian

I've had my K5 since 2011. Still happy with it, still works fine. I still also use my K10D and Km. They work fine. All these cameras get wonderful photographs within their limitations and all cameras have different limitations .

I wouldn't mind getting a K1 though....big leap forward I'm anticipating, maybe in a couple of years.
02-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #111

Photos: Gallery
I'm quite happy with my K5IIS and IMO, the K3 and K3II do not provide sufficient improvements in IQ to justify a replacement.
02-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #112

I have the k50 And I love it. I don't have to worry if someone steals it or if I damage it as it's cheap to replace. I think I'd be a very nervous photographer if I had a k3 or full frame. Anyway here are some things I'd love to have from the next k3 model.

1. 5 axis is
2. Fully articulated lcd

I also want a silent shutter but it's probably not going to happen for Pentax so I'm going to get a mirrorless first before upgrading my k50 as I do a lot of indoor concert/recital shooting.

02-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upgraded from K5 to K3II in December - and am learning the differences. It's a really nice camera, though. We'll see how it performs through the year, I hope for some great macro results later.
03-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
I also want a silent shutter but it's probably not going to happen for Pentax so I'm going to get a mirrorless first before upgrading my k50 as I do a lot of indoor concert/recital shooting.
You might already know, but the Panasonic GX7 has a silent shutter mode. I was contemplating getting it at one point.
03-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Gx8 may be like that too?....tossing up between it and the G7(mini gh4)....but either can wait till the
WG-M2 arrives.
03-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #116

Right now I'm more concerned with feeding my LBA than my camera fetishism.
03-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #117
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sticking with my K5IIs...the best Pentax camera I have ever owned. Can't rule out a K1 if it performs as I expect it will.

.....Otis would like to have a word with those 2.04 % of poll takers that plan on switching systems this year. Start your Jumper Thread and he will be there in a heartbeat.

Regards!
03-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by Mahadragon Quote
You might already know, but the Panasonic GX7 has a silent shutter mode. I was contemplating getting it at one point.
Yeah. That looks like a good camera. But it doesn't have ibis. The Olympus em5 and em10 Mark ii have ibis but the video is not as good as Panasonic. Decisions decisions. Or wait for a better model?