Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you plan to upgrade to a new 20+MP Pentax in 2016?
Most likely Yes 7134.30%
Most likely No 12258.94%
Plan on switching camera systems 41.93%
Film, baby! 104.83%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree, 6 MP is enough for most purposes.
The K10 with 10 MP was already more than enough for me.
Now the K5 with 16 MP is so much, I think I will never need more.
And the K5 is still sooo good, why switch to the K3, which isn't any better?
So: No, no upgrade.

But of course I will buy the K1 some day to use it with my many manual FF lenses.

12-30-2015, 01:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The glass I have isn't being held back by my K-5 II. My skills limit both my glass and the K-5 II that I currently have. No body upgrade coming for me any time soon.
12-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Before the official announcement of the new FF I was considering of buying a second body (k3). Now, the price of k3 is so low (about Eur 700 - same as used k5 IIS here) that I would buy it brand new . The thing became complicated with the announcement of FF: if I have to spend money, I prefer buying a 35 mm FF for the wides (I like most) but DA lenses I already own doesn't fit full frame circle and if old lenses perform bad on 36+ mpx, it will be a nonsense. So I'm anxiously waiting for the release of the FF to decide if buy k3 and invest the rest in DA lenses or buy the new FF body...
12-30-2015, 01:54 AM   #19

I voted probably no, but this is a big probably.

My K5 is still working fine and I'm not sure more pixels would seriously improve most of my output. But I am tempted by the lack of an AA filter and improved AF.
Current plan is to wait for the K3's successor (which I do not expect next year) and go for it if it has something spectacular new or get the K3 otherwise.
I might change my mind if my financial situation continues to improve the way it currently does

I cannot justify spending the expected price for the FF + new glass, so I will probably stick with APS-C at least until second hand FFs show up for a reasonable price.

12-30-2015, 02:31 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'v posted before that 16MPs appears to be the sweet spot for where I am right now - especially skill wise. Being interested in 'scapes - landscapes/cityscapes and the like, logic has that the FF should be of interest to me. That said, I spent last year at this time acquiring - writing checks for a K5IIs (the price was great), the 60-250, the 1.4x converter and the 18-35 (for astro), with the idea that I was going to be set for the next few years. Mainly, with my eyesight needing AF for telephoto - my manual days are over. My thinking is that I should be more interested in the K3 replacement - going with the crop factor.

I'm going to be retiring in 2016, with the idea of wandering around Arizona seeing all the things that I have never had time to do previously. I am hoping that with practice and opportunity my skills will somehow improve. That remains to be seen and demonstrated. I do have enough FF glass to make a FF body of interest - some old Contax Zeiss and Limited lenses that should hold up to a FF sensor. But for the next couple of years I believe my path is set.

The 16MP sensor was a real watershed for Pentax. Not that the K3 is anything to sneeze at. I do believe that Sony will be coming out with their 6th generation back-lite sensor and hoping that Pentax uses it (if its worthy) for the K3 replacement. I think that is the near term sensor goal for me - when it breaks the $1K barrier (so, that's at least a couple of years off). Until there is actual product available, I am a very contented camper here - with what I currently have.

It really is the photographer that is the weak link in the chain. If you are unable to capture some truly aw inspiring imagery with what is currently available, it's not the hardware that is the limiting factor. I'm thinking that I should have a dozen truly magnificent images. I think I have come close - but I think I can and should do better - with what I currently have.

12-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

interested observer, you say the truth.
It's also my opinion on lack of skill, the gear doesn't make that much difference (until we're using cracked glass...). The attraction of FF is that we come back to the "old" 35 mm film days (I shoot a lot of film) and that's what I like most: perhaps it's not a technical factor (yes, I know...better ISO performance, larger viewfinder, more Mpx,presumed better color depht/rendition.....)but the sweet confidence with a 35 mm that act like a 35 or a 20 mm that act like a 20 mm .... It's the way I perceive the composition (esp. in landscape because I have time to set up all little things that makes a good picture better). So I mean the FF... just my thoughts.
12-30-2015, 02:53 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Probably, but it will be for reasons which have nothing to do with mega pixels.

12-30-2015, 03:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Right, what I said in previous post...my k5 works fine and 16 mpx are now ok for my needs.FF would be a second body (in order of acquisition) and a different thing (related to lenses) and mpx doesn't matter that much .
for my needs k3 would be a good choice (side by side with k5) due to better AF performance but the conflict 24mpx vs 16mpx vs 36 mpx it's not my interest.
12-30-2015, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #24

Photos: Gallery
I'll keep and use my K-5 until it breaks down (which it seems nowhere near of doing after four years and 20 000+ exposures). It's a great camera and I don't need more than 16 MP (I don't print huge and I rarely crop much). If anything would tempt me to upgrade it would be better AF and faster processor (hmm, sounds like a used K-5ii?).
12-30-2015, 03:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I already did it, and WOW, I love my K-3.

The K-5 was good, but the K-3 is better, and it's not just about the mps. The whole camera is friendlier and has better features.

Will I go to the FF? Not sure as I suspect the K-3 can deliver a whole lot more than I can currently pull out of it. It'd be nice to put the three amigos on a FF, but I guess a lot of people will do it and I can get vicarious pleasure from their shots and save some serious $$.

I suspect I'll have the FF eventually, though...just not in 2016.
12-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I collect gear. As evidenced by my signature.
Your signature, as I post this, appears empty - check that the space aliens haven't stolen your gear!

Back to the topic at hand: I will be upgrading to the full-frame eventually; but if the K-5 has enough longevity in it that shouldn't be until 2017-2018. I may try it out in the stores if it's out by the time I next travel, but until then I'll wait to hear what the fuss is about and see all the early wrinkles worked out. Given its impending arrival, I see no reason (aside from IMMEDIATE failure of the K-5) to upgrade to a more capable APS-C body. *touch wood*
12-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #27

I want, but not that sure if I need

If nothing goes wrong, I probalby will need a new body, although I'm very happy and satisfied with mine K5II.
Size wise, it's the perfect combination of build quality and ergonomics and image quality are the best balance between MP, ISO noise and sharpness, IMHO.
That being said, I will probably pick a K3 because sometimes I do miss a fast response from the camera as the processing times are a bit annoying in the K5 family.
So, a FF may not be the camera to go, but with the official announcements and true release, that can change.

Now, what I DO NEED is a better glass, and the new D-FA 70-200 is on my sight, specially because I do not have a telephoto. Hope it matches the expectations.
12-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #28
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

No vote from me as I already have a K-3. But I did not upgrade from my K-5 to get from 16 to 24 megawatts. I upgraded to get all the other little improvements of the K-3. I would have been quite happy with having a 16MP K-3.
12-30-2015, 04:57 AM   #29

Barring any major defects with the K-1--and insufficient funds--I plan to add to my collection, rather than "upgrade."
My K-5 IIs, K-01 and K10D serve my APS-C needs and I expect they will for years to come.
Heck, I gave my niece my well used *istDS years ago and she's still using it on a regular basis.
I also shoot film quite often, as well as P&S (film and digital).
Everything is a tool with a specific purpose.
I was going to get the Nikon D750 for my FF needs, but decided to wait on the Pentax as I have many more Pentax lenses than Nikon.
12-30-2015, 05:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have a K-30, the 16MP resolution is enough in general.
I don't need the FF, and the K-3II is not enough for the money. If I would won the lottery I would buy the FF, but first I need to start playing.
I am waiting for the "K-3III" with BSI CMOS sensor, USB type C 3.1, better video SR and 4K and 240FPS FullHD and something creative pentax stuff...