Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The K-x

I recently picked up a white version of the K-x at a very reasonable price just for S&G's and I must say, I really like it! I have two K-50's that are my primary cameras, but this little white Storm Trooper really performs well. It had only 120 SA's, so it's like new. Cute, too!.

12-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x was a great little camera. It brought the game-changing high-ISO capability of the Nikon D90 to the masses. I had one for a couple years and liked it very much.

Earlier this year I bought a white one super-cheap on Ebay that just needed a dial repaired. If it had had the same size OVF as the current Pentax DSLR lineup I would have kept it. It looks great in white.
12-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They are nice little cameras. I have a black one and a storm trooper one that I bought off a forum member not long ago. Mine came with a white 19-55mm original lens too. Low actuations also. I had it out with me one day, at a local river park and someone came by me, said "cool camera." I said yep, it is and it's Pentax.

12-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to find the 50-200mm lens in white to complete the "kit." Don't know why..... just one of my foibles!

On the other hand, I recently picked up a K10D that has less than 800 SA's and I DO NOT like it! All the knobs and stuff are in the "wrong" place! I guess it's just one of those "old dogs, new tricks" things. Apparently, there are some who rave about it.... but so far, I haven't been one of them. The good part of the deal, it had a DA 18-250mm ED AL (IF) lens attached!

12-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'd like to find the 50-200mm lens in white to complete the "kit." Don't know why..... just one of my foibles!
Keep an eye out on KEH, they sometimes come out. I bought a white k-x for my DIL and completed her kit by finding the 50-200 on KEH.
12-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a black WR 50-200mm I use very seldom, so a white in the version would only satisfy the want of another white lens, but would only be for that. I wouldn't use it much.

The good part of the deal, it had a DA 18-250mm ED AL (IF) lens attached!
Yep, that was a good deal.
12-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought (pre-ordered, actually) the Canon t2i for $900 when it was the hot new thing, but I promptly sold it once I discovered the K-x. It gave me more features and quality than the t2i did, and at a much lower price. And I fell in love with the white model in particular. One of the best looking cameras ever, IMO. At least until I saw the white K-30.

I guess not everyone shared my opinion on the style, since the replacement model, the K-r, looked like a K-x that had been beaten with an ugly stick. The removed the graceful lines of the K-x, as well as the chrome accent strip.

Here's a couple pix of my old K-x. It's pictured with the all-black kit lens from my K-30, because I had already sold the white K-x kit lens a long time back.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 12-31-2015 at 07:59 PM.
12-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

My entry into the Pentax digital world was a K-x. What astounds me about this camera is its low-light sensitivity. For a 2009 design, it was way ahead of its time.
12-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just sold my K-x. I love the sensor, but the viewfinder and LCD were just not so great for me. I would often chimp, and not be able to tell whether my images were in sharp focus. It was stressful. I loved the shutter sound, though.
12-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bargainguy Quote
My entry into the Pentax digital world was a K-x. What astounds me about this camera is its low-light sensitivity. For a 2009 design, it was way ahead of its time.
Quite true - for the first time ever I could tolerate well-exposed images at iso5000!
This was an early torture-test image at iso4000, cropped but untouched..
12-31-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

K-x was my intro to Pentax as well. My daughter uses it now. Although, I've bought a K-S1 she is staking claim to. So, the K-x is on the selling block.
12-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
K-x was my intro to Pentax as well. My daughter uses it now. Although, I've bought a K-S1 she is staking claim to. So, the K-x is on the selling block.
The K-x was my entry to the Pentax world as well. As I recall it was the camera that wreaked havoc in the entry level category and put the competition to shame. I sold it after getting a K5. My 10-year-old had been showing interest in photography so I got him a used K-r, which is essentially a K-x on vitamins
12-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
K-x was my intro to Pentax as well.
Mine too.. and well (D) SLRs as a whole.. I had a navy blue one. Sold it to a friend after they saw some of the photographs I took with it. What more do I need to say of the camera?

There is no focus point confirmation in the viewfinder and, at the time, being a very green novice I didn't know any better. Though I should say it probably made me a slightly more proficient photographer by learning to lead with the center point instead of hoping the camera chose the correct one.

I moved on eventually to a K-5II which I quite like. And I picked up a K-r for cheap as a backup. Though I must say the K-r (and K-x for that matter) reminded me just how loud those camera bodies' shutters really are.. CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK haha -- The K-5 and K-3 series are MUUUCH quieter.
12-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently picked up a K10D that has less than 800 SA's and I DO NOT like it! All the knobs and stuff are in the "wrong" place!
I have the same problem, so to speak. My K3 has everything in the wrong place compared to the K10 I was using since 2007. I don't think you picked mine up - it had a few more activations than that
01-01-2016, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I still have my K-x in shiny navy blue metallic.
It was the K-x that premiered the concept of a multitude of colours for the body.
I recently sold my K10D to buy the K-S2 instead. My original plan was to sell the K-x too, but I simply can't force myself to sell it, it's so cute and such a good performer in a light and compact package. Totally terrible to use with big and long lenses, such as the DA 17-70 f/4 AL that's now my standard lens on the K-S2. My favourite lens on the K-x is the DA 35 f/2.8 Macro Limited.