Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Film Camera Flashes on Digital Camera

Hate to sound naïve, but trying to wrap my head around film flashes vs digital flashes. I have a few Pentax TTL flashes that mount onto the camera hot shoe that were made for film type cameras. Can these flashes be safely used on Pentax digital flashes?
Any info - education - would be greatly appreciated.

01-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they can safely be used. Modern Pentax cameras only support P-TTL (not TTL), so you won't be able to take advantage of full exposure automation. But the older flashes will fire just fine, and with proper exposure settings, you can get great results.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

On older non Pentax Flashes(20th & 21st Century Vintage) watch the trigger voltage. Link below to a list of some trigger voltage for different brands.

Voltages | DPanswers
01-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Note: the information given above is only true for factory Pentax TTL flashes. Having said that, you should check the trigger voltage for any older flash before using it. There is a thread on this forum describing how to do that, as well as a link To a website that describes the trigger voltage of each flash. If I remember correctly, if the trigger voltage is over approximately 12V, it should not be used on a Pentax digital camera. But please do your homework and verify it, before using your flash. it is not worth Damaging your camera for an older flash.

01-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I tried a late-70s vintage thyristor flash on an EOS (non-digital) and it knocked out the camera's electronics. After pulling the batteries and putting them back in it worked again. There's some kind of voltage-reducing hot shoe adaptor thing which I bought but never actually tried.
01-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used a Sunpak 422D and 544 (via the X-sync socket) on my K-5 IIs and K10D with no problems. Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread.
01-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AF 280T works well with my K-S2 - of course in manual and 'auto' modes, no P-/TTL. Moreover, 280T works with Yongnuo radio triggers, what makes off-camera lighting very affordable.
01-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Pentax AF 280T works well with my K-S2 - of course in manual and 'auto' modes, no P-/TTL. Moreover, 280T works with Yongnuo radio triggers, what makes off-camera lighting very affordable.
I've been using the AF280T on my K20D and K3 bodies with very good results. Mostly I've been employing "auto" (thyrister) mode (gotta love that little flat green donut on the AF240T's front).

01-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Forum Member

Yup, still have & use my AF280T from film days.

Nice capabilities, & agree about the green sensor ring,
as well as the stylish old Pentax logo!
01-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I've been using the AF280T on my K20D and K3 bodies with very good results.
Chart shows AF280T @ 7.8 V well within modern Digital camera trigger voltage.