Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Whatever you do, keep it accessible to grab when the smoke alarm goes off...

01-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
01-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

In case of fire, that lens is useless. Something like Pentax 18-55 kit lens is much usable documenting disaster indoors...
01-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
In case of fire, that lens is useless. Something like Pentax 18-55 kit lens is much usable documenting disaster indoors...
An 18-55 costs $100, a 560 costs $4000. I'd save the 560, not the kit lens...

01-05-2016, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Forget the equipment! Grab your hard drives, archived disks, and neg/slide files.
01-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Forget the equipment! Grab your hard drives, archived disks, and neg/slide files.
Good point. You should have off-site backups though. And if you have a $4000 lens you should have insurance for it as well.
Maybe I'll save my cat...
01-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Interesting point fwcetus. There is one little flaw. Water vapour pressure wants to find equilibrium. So when the lens is in dryer air, water vapour flows to it. To accelerate that, drill a hole to end cap and put some non linting cloth over it so that dust doesn't end in lens. That way you have storage cap for faster drying. If physical labour is acceptable, pump zooms couple of times so air is exchanged.
So... Thinking along these lines, the cabinet I use for camera gear is about 4x4 ft and is not sealed, but has doors, and is in a dry environment (though nothing in Western Oregon could be considered truly dry). I like that I can get at my gear easily. Having too many things to do already, I'm unlikely to build or buy something too fancy. I've been using packaged dessicant like Rem-Dri, but now, after reading all of your comments, I'm considering moving to this product and hoping it might address the humidity environment decently, assuming I monitor the cabinet with a hygrometer and continue to follow good practice when moving my lenses in/out of wet/dry areas.

Any experience or thoughts on this one? The reviews sound pretty good on Amazon:

Eva Dry E500 Mini Dehumidifier

Last edited by Kath; 01-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.
01-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #23

Based on the description of device, I'd say there is some salt inside it which likes something like 20%RH and heater. When dehumidifier is brought to more moist atmosphere it takes moisture from air and seals it as crystal water. Salt is heated and crystals are broken and the water is released back in to air. This technology is rather fool proof. Only way to screw things up is to make the electirc heater badly and burn the device.

Small computer fan helps dehumidifying faster if that is what you want. But about specific device I don't know.

01-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Any experience or thoughts on this one? The reviews sound pretty good on Amazon:

Eva Dry E500 Mini Dehumidifier
Read through the negative reviews. You'll start picking up on a trend. A lot of people say that it collects the moisture and turns pink, then when they plug it in to dry it out, it no longer works.

My girlfriend has one of these in each bedroom. I would say that they work, because when it's time to replace them, you can see the water that they have collected.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/damprid?NCNI-5
01-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Read through the negative reviews. You'll start picking up on a trend. A lot of people say that it collects the moisture and turns pink, then when they plug it in to dry it out, it no longer works.

My girlfriend has one of these in each bedroom. I would say that they work, because when it's time to replace them, you can see the water that they have collected.

Search Results for
I keep that damprid in my boat over the winter and it works well. I was hoping for a more compact and renewable solution. May try the dehumidifier thing and report back.
01-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
BBM Now that I no longer have dogs and cats, unless my wife needs help my negatives are the most important thing to me. I do have offsite storage of my digital files.

Back to topic, I live in a dry area of Alberta so especially during the winter humidity is never a problem and I have never even thought about protecting the gear. Interesting potential solutions