Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Why are UK Pentax prices so high in the UK?

Why are Pentax prices so high in the UK?

They seem to be consistently at least 50-200% more then the US prices and even more then the inflated Australian prices.

Last edited by Theov39; 01-03-2016 at 12:33 AM.
01-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't we always pay more than the US with UK duty and VAT etc? I think it's the same for just about any product imported and sold in the UK. That being said if you wait for sale and cashback offers you can get some cracking deals. SRS for example before Christmas were doing the K3II I'd bought only a couple of months earlier but for the same price were including a battery grip and 50mm!

I also bought a 10-17 (£200 after casback from Amazon) and 55-300 (£199 from SRS) last year well below RRP.
01-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote

They seem to be consistently at least 50-200% more then the US prices and even more then the inflated Australian prices.
Same as in France and most of Europe. According to Ricoh, we're the fat cow with gobs of disposable income...I've jokingly assumed that the prices we pay here subsidize the unit prices available for US shoppers. You think +50% is bad? The FA31 is nearly 100% more expensive in France as compared to the US :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/309921-sad-...ml#post3461077

How's that for an example of Ricoh's coherent pricing policy? Owning and shooting Pentax is indeed a pleasure but it's also some sort of masochistic exercise both tecnhically and financially (for us forgotten souls who do not shop in the US).

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 12:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Don't we always pay more than the US with UK duty and VAT etc? I think it's the same for just about any product imported and sold in the UK. That being said if you wait for sale and cashback offers you can get some cracking deals. SRS for example before Christmas were doing the K3II I'd bought only a couple of months earlier but for the same price were including a battery grip and 50mm!

I also bought a 10-17 (£200 after casback from Amazon) and 55-300 (£199 from SRS) last year well below RRP.
Don't forget that Import duties and taxes are equally levied on foreign made goods entering the US. The rates vary according to the import country and they are probably regularly less than for Europe. Anyway, all factors considered, I think Ricoh/Pentax clearly favors the US market.
01-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
I think Ricoh/Pentax clearly favors the US market.
That's not really it - that is, it's not Ricoh specifically (or solely) favoring the US market. I mean, I've read here on PF and elsewhere of folks outside the USA walking into camera shops and buying Pentax. That doesn't happen much in the US. Electronics in general are more expensive in Europe than USA. Of course the global economy plays a role, and also the fragmentation of the European market compared with the US - logistics and transport costs are greater in Europe. Labor might be more. Operations cost less in the US, as Federal and local gov'ts bend over backwards to accommodate companies.

And, maybe, companies feel that Americans are more willing to spend money on incremental upgrades than Europeans, as the USA has a history of being a consumer society. So it's easier to sell stuff to the public, if the price is low enough.

And finally, companies charge more in Europe because they can. It's not fair, but I don't know what can be done about it.

01-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

US prices have dropped considerably and are now generally at record lows, but prices in Japan can be even lower. I think lenses are just generally more expensive in the EU. Then again, the EU does get 2-year warranty coverage on everything (instead of just 1 year) and incentives (such as SRS's recent Black Friday sale) are starting to become more frequent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2016, 02:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We have even more fun with Pentax prices here in CZ.

Just to compare:
- UK price of DA560 ( Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Lens ): £2,799.00
- CZ cheapest price of DA560 ( Pentax HD 560mm f/5.6 ED AW od 134 090 K? - Heureka.cz ): £3,641.00

Simply crazy.
01-03-2016, 02:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
We have even more fun with Pentax prices here in CZ.

Just to compare:
- UK price of DA560 ( Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Lens ): £2,799.00
- CZ cheapest price of DA560 ( Pentax HD 560mm f/5.6 ED AW od 134 090 K? - Heureka.cz ): £3,641.00

Simply crazy.
That is crazy! Would it be a LOT cheaper importing from the US even after you factor in the delivery costs and import duties?

However, that is a pretty specialized lens which even at BHPhoto goes for close to US$5000 (around 3400 pounds) which only a few would buy. Probably the only instance where the UK is cheaper than the US

What about on more everyday lenses and bodies like the 55-300 WR or K-50?

01-03-2016, 02:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That is crazy! Would it be a LOT cheaper importing from the US even after you factor in the delivery costs and import duties?

Well, not really. Transport costs would be the smallest problem. But for VAT + import customs you have to count with roughly 33%, so this totally spoils the party. The remaining difference is normally so minor that it wouldn't pay off in case of some warranty issues etc..
01-03-2016, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Don't we always pay more than the US with UK duty and VAT etc?
nothing to do with taxes or duties. Ilford film is made in England and we English do not pay any import duties on it - VAT is 20% - yet the British price is much more than 20% more than the USA price.. It has everything to do with retail prices being what the market will bear.
01-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

The same madness in Poland. I am about to buy Pentax DA 60-250 and european prices are driving me crazy. I would have certainly bought a couple more lenses if only prices were lower

Last edited by apete; 01-03-2016 at 09:34 AM.
01-03-2016, 05:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Well, not really. Transport costs would be the smallest problem. But for VAT + import customs you have to count with roughly 33%, so this totally spoils the party. The remaining difference is normally so minor that it wouldn't pay off in case of some warranty issues etc..
+1
---------------
bhphotovideo.com seem to be making more of a point about shipping to the UK now. The convert to GBP is readily visible on the product page.

If you look at the 20-40mm for instance [as I write this] the converted price is £440 .. but then factor in VAT/duty/delivery etc and the picutre changes... the saving will probably be marginal and not worth buying from BH instead of a Pentax UK centre like SRS

Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Lens 23000
01-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
bhphotovideo.com seem to be making more of a point about shipping to the UK now. The convert to GBP is readily visible on the product page.
They do the same if you live n Canada and we also get free shipping if we spend over $99USD. However with the low Canadian dollar, it's around the same price to walk up the street and buy Pentax gear at a local 'bricks & mortar" store.

Phil.
01-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys, this is not a "Pentax" problem ... it's across the board, whether clothes, cars, consumer electronics or anything else the US is much cheaper.

It might mean you can justify a trip to the US based on what you'll save on the things you buy?
01-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I knew a chap who flew to Switzerland and back from the UK in the same day to buy a new full frame Nikon. Even with the cost of flights he was far better off than buying in the uk.
01-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Saving £25 or whatever is simply not worth it for potential warranty hassle with things like cameras/lenses/electronic goods... the saving needs to be far greater to make the risk perceived or otherwise worthwhile