Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

2008 k200d Mounted With 1981 K1000 Lens

Hey All,
Although I forgot to set the white balance correctly, I found the lens did a fair job for something that only cost me 20 bucks,still looks funny mounted on the cam Everything was done on auto pliot mode (aperture and shutter speed), manual focus of course.

Barry

06-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

how can you auto pilot a lens that has no "A" contact?
06-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good question, I just went outside with camera knob set on "auto pict" and clicked, maybe I got lucky

Barry
06-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Good question, I just went outside with camera knob set on "auto pict" and clicked, maybe I got lucky

Barry
EXIF data also shows "auto exposure" Another blow to the competition. Try mounting your Nikon F2 lens on a D series
camera

06-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Correct me if I am wrong but I had thought you still need to press the green/AE-L button to meter with K or M lenses? Does the camera remember the previous metering if this is not done?
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

EXIF data also shows "auto exposure" Another blow to the competition. Try mounting your Nikon F2 lens on a D series
camera
i have a sneaky suspecion that you shot at wide open, since exif says your aperture is 0.0!

so any picture you take will shoot at wide open.

can you go and take 3 pictures of something close to you but with lots of space after it (like a coffe mug on the table), one at wide open, one at F8, and one at F22, are they identical or different?
06-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Correct me if I am wrong but I had thought you still need to press the green/AE-L button to meter with K or M lenses? Does the camera remember the previous metering if this is not done?
I swear, I did nuttin except go to custom settings and click OK when it came to the aperture setting to be allowed instead of being "prohibited" I'll do some more experimenting later but I'd like others to try the same thing with their older Pentax lenses, just mention lens make and setting too.

Barry

06-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh don't get me wrong. I believe you. I have a manual K mount 28mm lens, however I press the AE-L button on my K100D to meter before I take a picture. I'm thinking the camera remembers the last metering and applies it to the current exposure.
06-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Oh don't get me wrong. I believe you. I have a manual K mount 28mm lens, however I press the AE-L button on my K100D to meter before I take a picture. I'm thinking the camera remembers the last metering and applies it to the current exposure.
After more playing around, it seems like the LCD screen only gives you several options (manual,bulb and aperture priority) however, I was able able to adjust the shutter speed using the thumb wheel regardless of what the mode was. I tried using the flash but every shot was washed out beyond recognition, maybe I'll have to experiment some more using 1/60 second as a start..like the old film camera days. I'm having fun trying to mate this couple.

Barry
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shutterpuppy

On the K10 you can meter in the following ways with "K" and M lenses.....should be the same for you:

1. Manual. You set aperture on lens and press "green" button (or AE-L). The camera briefly stops down to meter and sets a shutter speed.

2. Manual. Turn the DOF preview on and hold. You will see the ev bar in the viewfinder. Adjust aperture or shutter speed until the ev bar is centred. This will only work if you have set the DOF preview to "optical preview" in the custom settings.

3. Av. This functions in a limited way. The camera will set the shutter speed according to the available light, BUT the lens will be wide open during capture, even if you set the lens on f22
07-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Shutterpuppy

On the K10 you can meter in the following ways with "K" and M lenses.....should be the same for you:

1. Manual. You set aperture on lens and press "green" button (or AE-L). The camera briefly stops down to meter and sets a shutter speed.

2. Manual. Turn the DOF preview on and hold. You will see the ev bar in the viewfinder. Adjust aperture or shutter speed until the ev bar is centred. This will only work if you have set the DOF preview to "optical preview" in the custom settings.

3. Av. This functions in a limited way. The camera will set the shutter speed according to the available light, BUT the lens will be wide open during capture, even if you set the lens on f22
Although I got the f2.0 50mm to shoot in available low light at low ISOs, can someone help me with the settings when using the pop up flash?

Thanks
Barry
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Although I got the f2.0 50mm to shoot in available low light at low ISOs, can someone help me with the settings when using the pop up flash?

Thanks
Barry
There is no help to be given - One of the known limitations of operating with K/M lenses is that the onboard flash will operate full power.

If you want to use flash with a K or M lens, I suggest getting a hotshoe flash that has manual power adjustment or "A" mode where the flash meters itself using a sensor. The Vivitar 285HV and Sunpak 383 both are good choices, and are much cheaper than the AF-540FGZ ($90 vs. $300+) for the same power output.
07-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i have a sneaky suspecion that you shot at wide open, since exif says your aperture is 0.0!
You expected aperture data to be recorded for an M lens?