Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone tried the following flash ? It is advertised for K-3 II . Does it actually fit ? Does the P-TTL work ?

Vivitar GN42 VIV DF 293 Pen LCD P TTL Flash for Pentax K 3 II K S2 K 50 K S1 K 3 | eBay

I'm currently considering a new camera - I don't own a K-3 II yet. I would like to know if this flash is suitable or not.

The alternative is the AF200G, but it seems really inflexible (no orientation).

01-16-2016, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #32

I bought the K3 about 5 months ago and to be honest if I had the extra dollars and was more patient I probably bought the K3ii, because newer is better right? Although I've actually found myself using the internal flash a bit lately. I've got a YongNuo YN-560 III and I was using the IF to set off the YN-560 as a slave which was fun to play around with to get some different results. Another time I was at the park and my subject was heavily backlit and I found just using a little bit of IF I was able to light up my subject and keep the background nicely exposed, so in some instances it does have advantages. Either way I'm sure you're going to enjoy the whichever one you choose, they're both great cameras.
01-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperSyx Quote
Thanks for the answers guys! I am in the market of a new Pentax DSLR myself to replace my loved K-30 plagued with the stuck aperture problem. I have a tripod, a Yongnuo YN 560 iii with a set of RF-603 and I wanted a O-GPS1 module. So I guess the choice goes for a K-3 ii. Anybody tried the RF-603 on the K-3 ii since the YN-560 III will not fit? Is there a tiny cheap portable flash alternative for the onboard flash?

From what I've heard, the YN-560 almost fits, but doesn't. If you look at pictures you can see the bottom of the flash extends down in front of the uh, foot. (Feet go in shoes, right?) The RF-603 extends straight out, so I would assume it should fit fine on the K-3 II. If you need, you can mount the YN-560 to the pass through shoe of the RF-603 to use it on camera and that should work, but it just might be a little less sturdy.

If sturdiness is more of a concern than size, you could mount the RF-603 to your camera and put the flash in a bracket like this.
(I may get one myself since it looks like it would be easier to flip to portrait than rotating the flash head angle every time.)

If you're really after tiny and like manual flash, the MK-320 is a small flash with pan / tilt that you can get for $65. (Multiple other brand's TTL, but no Pentax TTL option. You can use it in full manual though.)

And if you want TTL, the Metz 26-AF1 is a very tiny P-TTL flash with tilt, but no swivel.

Full disclosure, I don't have either of these (yet), but in the future I would like one to throw in my bag for when I need off camera flash but don't want to take my larger Metz 50 AF-1.
01-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #34

Flash fit test

The YN-560 III does not fit, the TX603 does fit tightly and the NW-610 II (JY-610II) fits well (and fits the bill). I bring my full backpack around when I do serious photography, so having a separate flash is no problem. The day I need a flash for casual snowshoeing, skiing, boating, I will find myself a small gear bag. Sorry for the weird lighting, I used my old pocket flashlight (LedLenser P3)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D6603  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D6603  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
D6603  Photo