Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have a question for those more knowledgeable, considering the purchase decision between K-3 and K-3II:

I was under the impression that Pixelshift had to be used with absolutely stationary objects.
In a landscape, if clouds, leaves, branches, grass, waves, etc move due to the wind, will there be an issue using Pixelshift? I enjoy more architectural photography, but even then, there are hanging signs, flags, people, etc, which are not stationary.

So, my question is, In the field, in the open, how much value is Pixelshift and/or can it actually be used outdoors to any great effect? Thanks in advance!

01-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I do have a question for those more knowledgeable, considering the purchase decision between K-3 and K-3II:

I was under the impression that Pixelshift had to be used with absolutely stationary objects.
In a landscape, if clouds, leaves, branches, grass, waves, etc move due to the wind, will there be an issue using Pixelshift? I enjoy more architectural photography, but even then, there are hanging signs, flags, people, etc, which are not stationary.

So, my question is, In the field, in the open, how much value is Pixelshift and/or can it actually be used outdoors to any great effect? Thanks in advance!
That's something I aksed myself before
Hope someone can help us
01-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote

I don't have any experience with it, but I would assume that wide angle lenses outdoors would still benefit from pixel shift. Moving clouds and blowing leaves would probably cause trouble, but I would assume at wide angles or low wind, tiny movements of leaves might be small enough enough to not make a difference in the whole image and you would still see improvement in the static objects.

For architecture, moving flags would cause issues but buildings pretty much stay in one place. (Hopefully! ) In bright lighting conditions the four exposures could still be rather quick, so it might still have a benefit if the clouds aren't moving too fast.

Again, I don't have a K-3 II, so if someone does it would help if they could answer this in more detail.
01-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
That's something I aksed myself before
Hope someone can help us
People already have answered this. As it is now, Pixel shift is for studio conditions mostly. I say mostly because one could use it outside as well but in very limited situations where you would have zero movement of the image shot. So landscapes is out of the question (hot air, wind, snow, rain cloud moving) will probably produce zipper artefacts. You could maybe process them but.. really, i for one am not seeing it as a feature i would make use of under these circumstances. A better quality lens will be more practical or a lens you know well how to use would weigh more towards the clarity of your photo.

I recently debated this choice myself (this december) and went with the K-3 for the following considerations: superb kit for 650$ (K-3 body+50mm 1.8+af-200FG flash) vs 729$ K-3II Body (at that time)
I thought that if in the future i will want the GPS feature (it's something i would like but, as fellow pentaxian pathdoc wisely said, buy for what you are using and really need now) i could go with the separate GPS for the hotshoe Pentax sells.

But for studio product photography, Pixelshift is indeed a great thing to have, you probably have seen the examples on the internet.

One more thing/reminder, in case you will buy this fine apparatus from the US use the link on pentaxforums towards the particular supported store:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/101329-do-you-buy-a...taxforums.html

Good luck!

01-05-2016, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

SInce you have a good flash and may use GPS in future.
K-3ii is cheaper than K-3 + O-GPS1.

Get K-3ii.
01-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone mentioned above, the SR was said to be improved 1/2 or 1 stop. Nothing groundbreaking, but as others have said, if you would use the GPS and already have a flash for when you want it the II seems like a no brainer to me!
01-06-2016, 01:22 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so far. unfortunately I live in Germany. So I will buy the camera here But when I'm in NYC and need some stuff I will use one of your links and pick the stuff up at the NYC BH Mega store. I love this place!

01-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #23

Is there any progress with autofocus?
I would sacrifice a flash for improved autofocus.
01-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Surovi Quote
Is there any progress with autofocus?
I would sacrifice a flash for improved autofocus.
Same module.
01-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #25

This is only a promotional paperwork?
K-3 II | Ricoh Imaging
01-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it's still Safox11:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/feature/02.html

Happy to be proven wrong, though.
01-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Surovi Quote
This is only a promotional paperwork? K-3 II | Ricoh Imaging
I have & use both and I can see no practical difference. Not to say there isn't any, just that I do not see it in the real world. But then I am 100% satisfied with the k-3 AF, it simply does not miss focus. Always puzzled by all the reports of problems. If you are trying to use tracking AF then maybe there is a difference, that's that not a mode I use. For regular shots, still objects, landscapes, portraits and so on the k-3 is amazing and I do not see a difference in the k-3II it's amazing also.
01-08-2016, 01:39 AM   #28

Thanks!
Good for children in the yard or on the playground?
With 50-135/2,8 or Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 C?

---------- Post added 01-08-16 at 01:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, it's still Safox11:

Feature 2?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING

Happy to be proven wrong, though.
Thanks!
01-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #29

Thanks for the answers guys! I am in the market of a new Pentax DSLR myself to replace my loved K-30 plagued with the stuck aperture problem. I have a tripod, a Yongnuo YN 560 iii with a set of RF-603 and I wanted a O-GPS1 module. So I guess the choice goes for a K-3 ii. Anybody tried the RF-603 on the K-3 ii since the YN-560 III will not fit? Is there a tiny cheap portable flash alternative for the onboard flash?
01-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperSyx Quote
Thanks for the answers guys! I am in the market of a new Pentax DSLR myself to replace my loved K-30 plagued with the stuck aperture problem. I have a tripod, a Yongnuo YN 560 iii with a set of RF-603 and I wanted a O-GPS1 module. So I guess the choice goes for a K-3 ii. Anybody tried the RF-603 on the K-3 ii since the YN-560 III will not fit? Is there a tiny cheap portable flash alternative for the onboard flash?
The tiny Nikon SB-30 is a great choice. I posted about this in another thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/298436-what-do-y...ml#post3477179