Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 02:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 or K-3 II

Hey folks,

I am a pentaxian since 2007. Actually I have a K-30 and love it.
Plan to upgrade to K-3 or K-3 II. But I'm not sure which one I should buy.

Pro K-3
- internal flash (but did not use it that often)
- cheaper

Pro K-3 II
- GPS (cool feature for traveling, Astrotracer)
- Pixelshift (great for landscape I think)
- newer (newer is always better )

I like to travel a lot and my DSLR is always with me. Next trips go to Scotland in May/June, NYC in April and maybe Ireland in summer.
What would you guys recommend?
I've read so many tests, comparisons and threads, but still I can't decide.
I like to take landscape photography or architecture.
Next thing will be astro photography, that's pro K-3 II
Is the K-3 II worth the extra cost ? What do you guys think. Any ideas?

Best regards from Germany,
Phil

01-05-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Except for what you've listed above the two cameras are virtually identical. So, if you don't need the built-in flash of the K-3 and plan to make use of the GPS, then the K-3 II would be the way to go. Pixel shifting is a nice feature to play around with, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2016, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

You want a K3-ii? You'll almost certainly need a flash at some stage, and IIRC you definitely need a tripod to make best use of the pixel shift. If you already have those things, you're good to go. If not, you have to figure them into the cost of the camera.

If you are doing a lot of hiking and landscape/scenery shooting, then yes, the combination of GPS and pixel shift together would definitely be worth having. Regarding the astrophotography, I've already advised someone else not to buy for what you MIGHT want to do but buy for what you ALREADY do; however, given that you're a habitual traveller & your camera is a constant companion, you can already justify getting the K3-ii for that reason alone.
01-05-2016, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

k-3 = internal flash
k-3II = GPS
Everything else is mostly irrelevant though pixel shift might be of some use in studio situations. So pick whether you want flash or GPS. I have both k-3 (my wife's) and k-3II. Never used the flash, always use the GPS. YMMV.

01-05-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the description of your use (hardly use built in flash, would use GPS) I'm guessing you're trying to get people to justify the extra cost of the k3ii. It's hard for a 3rd party to judge if these features are worth the cost to you, but for what it's worth, you have my moral support to go for the k3ii (but not my financial support).

Last edited by BrianR; 01-05-2016 at 08:15 AM.
01-05-2016, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #6

Isn't the autofocus and SR slightly better on the K-3ii as well?
01-05-2016, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I went K3-II as I have an external flash when required. That being said I've used neither the Astrotracer or Pixel-Shift functions since owning the camera! I do intend to though so it's a nice to have.

01-05-2016, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

If you don't use the internal flash, I'd say go for the K-3 II for GPS . If I were to travel to such scenic places I would appreciate being able to look up where pictures were taken after I get home and a few years down the road when memory fails. Definitely bring at least a decent monopod if you plan to use the pixel shift (which would probably be awesome if you plan to photograph historical ruins).

You can always buy an external flash later if you find a need for it. Just an forewarning, the popular Yongnuo YN-560 manual flash (original, II , III, and IV) has a short foot and won't mount on the K-3 II due to the larger hump housing the GPS, but works perfectly fine on the K-3.
01-05-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

There is a great K-3 II for sale in the marketplace for $600. That has to be one of the best deals on here. I'd stop debating the issue and grab it
01-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have an external Flash at home. It's an old pentax flash. So if I need one, I have one. Tripod from Manfrotto is also already present Can I use battery with the k-3 II like eneloops? Is there any other change from K-3 to k-3 II i haven't mentioned yet?
01-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
I have an external Flash at home. It's an old pentax flash.
Which one?
01-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
Is there any other change from K-3 to k-3 II i haven't mentioned yet?
Nope.
01-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others have said, except for the features you mentioned, they're the same camera. I chose the K3II for the astrotracer and I don't need an onboard flash. I love the camera. For my needs, it was a vast improvement over the K50, particularly for cropping purposes.
01-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Can I use battery with the k-3 II like eneloops?
Not without the battery grip bg5

Is there any other change from K-3 to k-3 II i haven't mentioned yet?
There are a few but it more than likely would start a debate between the k3 and k3 ll owners. So in a nutshell not any that would be really noticeable.

Here in the States a new K3 ll is only apprx. 80.00 difference between the two body only models so price afaic made my decision to go with the K3 ll a lot easier.
01-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Which one?
Pentax AF-360 FGZ