Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Playing in the glass!

Just bought K20 and have big plans of playing with older legacy lenses. Has anybody used M42 screw lens with adapter? Got any favorites? I guess all would be manual focus, huh? Is digital coating on new lenses that different? How about takumar lenses? I know there is a lens forum, but this relates to DSLR.

Thanks,
Michael

06-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
mudbo Playing in the glass!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just bought K20 and have big plans of playing with older legacy lenses. Has anybody used M42 screw lens with adapter? Got any favorites? I guess all would be manual focus, huh? Is digital coating on new lenses that different? How about takumar lenses? I know there is a lens forum, but this relates to DSLR.

Thanks,
Michael
I use several M42s now and then. I like the Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, but hear the SMC version (slightly newer) has a better bokeh. Also, the Auto Takumar 85mm f1.8 is nice, but I have not used the preferred SMC version of the lens. Yes, as far as I know they all are manual focus. Many people believe the coating on the SMC Takumars is almost as good as the coatings on today's lenses. You can learn a lot more here:

Regards,

Ernest

Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index
06-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Search at the top of the page is your friend

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29716-screw-mount-lenses.html

just did a search on screwmount as I remember there was a thread on the subject not too long ago. Post #8 by Hin has a lot of good info for you. Welcome to the forum!
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Who knew there were other people from Louisiana on the internet?!!

06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #5

Using M42 lenses is great fun! I have a K200D, and use manual lenses nearly exclusively. You do need to know a thing or two about adapters however:
1) You need one without a flange, one that fits into the K-mount, flush with the front. No lip sticking out or around. The ones with a flange will not focus correctly.

2) Try to find the Pentax brand adapter. I believe it can be purchased from Pentax USA. It fits better, and is apparently easier to attach and remove from the camera, well machined and built. Third party adapters work fine, but require (and should come with) a small tool to remove and attach them to the body. For some people, this tool is a chore to use, and if you lose it, you must improvise one as the adapter is near impossible to remove with only fingers. I would email any site or person you purchase from to ensure it is the official pentax adapter. Many people on Ebay (such as the one I purchased from) post a picture of the Pentax adapter (same picture as on Pentax's site), then ship a third party adapter made (or labelled as) by Bower.

This sounds more intimidating than it is, and it is well worth the effort to increase your possible lens selection exponentially. Plus, once you get your M42 adapter, you can buy a M39 adapter (that fits into it) and use screw mount lenses from Russian rangefinders, and Leica among others!
06-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hey I'm from Louisiana, too.
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just ordered the genuine pentax adapter from their webstore. $37.90 including shipping, hope to have it for the weekend !! Click here ----> PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)
07-01-2008, 04:49 AM   #8

Yes, get the Pentax Brand adapter. I looked and found one on ebay for about $20 to find it like the day before the end of the auction with a 50mm 1:4 Takumar Macro M42. I got both the lens and adapter for $75. Short of my kit lens I pretty much use exclusively manual lenses and old SMC primes. I have K and A series fast 50's 1:1.4, and 1:1.7, the 1:4 macro, a K series 17mm fisheye, and some other assorted third party lenses. I looked exclusively for the branded adapter though due to fitament issues I had heard about here and other places. I think the last time I looked Pentaxstore.com had some instock. It seems like they make limited production runs of them every few months and they go quickly.

-DP