Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Stupid me :-)

Yesterday I went to turn on my K-50. I pulled the power switch and nothing happend...
I thought the battery was dead so I popped it out and put it in the charger. Put in a fresh set of AAs in the adapter and still nothing.
Now I'm getting worried. It turns out I had switched the display off last shooting session and the startup dust removal was somehow disabled. Stupid me

01-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not nearly as bad as the half-dozen or so times I banged myself in the forehead the first month I owned my K-01.
01-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not nearly as bad as the half-dozen or so times I banged myself in the forehead the first month I owned my K-01.
Happened to me a couple times as well

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It turns out I had switched the display off last shooting session and the startup dust removal was somehow disabled.
At least its a happy ending
01-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Luftluss, thank you for bringing a little humor to my day! I'm still chuckling! :-)

01-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's the approved technique for learning to love the K-01! (After the swelling goes down, and you stop seeing random spots before your eyes, of course.)
01-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

01-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aw, if it'll make ya feal better -- in 50+ years of shootin' with film I don't recall EVER shooting without film in the camera (finger on the rewind knob thing); but with digital I seem to try to shoot without an SD card inserted about one time in seven!

01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
but with digital I seem to try to shoot without an SD card inserted about one time in seven!
At least you don't try to pry off the LCD to load an SD card...
01-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least you don't try to pry off the LCD to load an SD card...
Yeah, maybe so, but the vocabulary involved ain't for public consumption in any case!
01-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #10

Aw, if it'll make ya feal better -- in 50+ years of shootin' with film I don't recall EVER shooting without film in the camera (finger on the rewind knob thing); but with digital I seem to try to shoot without an SD card inserted about one time in seven!
I remember once I lost set of photos when my parents and their friends visited me. I took some 20+ snapshots without SD card inserted. Funny thing is I found that out as soon as they left... For me there shall be some special blinking red LCD screen when starting the cam with no SD! :-)
01-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing I've come to love about the K-3 is the dual slots.

Not for the extra storage, but for the no longer seeing a shot, digging the camera out and realizing I left the card at home in the computer.
01-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
For me there shall be some special blinking red LCD screen when starting the cam with no SD
On my K-50 an LED blinks if there is an SD card and doesn't blink when there is no SD card in the camera.
Red blinking = SD card in camera...
01-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
One thing I've come to love about the K-3 is the dual slots.

Not for the extra storage, but for the no longer seeing a shot, digging the camera out and realizing I left the card at home in the computer.
If I had two card slots I'd shoot JPEG+RAW, RAW in one JPEG in the other.
01-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #14

On my K-50 an LED blinks if there is an SD card and doesn't blink when there is no SD card in the camera.
Red blinking = SD card in camera...
That time I had K-X (or was that older K100?). Now I have K-5ii and I am still not aware of anything like that. Need to verify. Thanks for tip.
01-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

I've done that too! Checked to ensure I had camera, lenses, filters, lenspen, tripod, tripod adapter, charged battery, tank of gasoline... drive to the scenic spot.. only to discover the SD card is in the reader connected to the desktop at home.

I wish cameras came with a bit of storage space built in for such occasions.