Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Flanged type M42 adpater stuck in K-7

I have a FLANGED type M42 adapter stuck in my K-7. I was able to unscrew the lens of course but the adapter refuses to come out.

I did a search but all the solutions coming up here are for the NON-flanged type M42 adapters that emulate the original Pentax adapter.

The adapter will rotate but gets stuck in the 12-1 o'clock position where the internal lens mount flange is.

The funny thing is that is that I have used it before and if did not get stuck. No idea why it did this time.

I have attached a photo of the adapter. It covers the screws holding in the lens mount.

Yes, I know I should have bought the genuine Pentax adapter but this one came with a nice 135 M42 mount lens I bought and being a non-spring type I thought it would be safe.

I am reluctant to take a Dremel or hacksaw to it as the mirror is sitting just below the lens opening.

Does anyone have some suggestions to save my K-7?

Thank you!!

Attached Images

Last edited by Theov39; 01-07-2016 at 08:52 AM.
01-07-2016, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the lens lock engaged? not sure if it clicks in on that adapter or not.

Try putting the camera in manual focus, maybe the screwdrive connector is catching?

Try turning while pushing in or pulling out on the adapter.

Take a deep breath, it is likely something simple. Those adapters do not usually cause a problem.
01-07-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The image shows holes in the adapter.
There are two possible pins that may have snapped in here:
1. The lens release pin. Press the lens release button.
2. The AF motor shaft. Try to press it down, when rotating.
Look carefully in those holes if you can see a pin.
01-07-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very strange.
Try to set the camera at MF? maybe the AF screw stuck in the mounting locking slot on the adapter? Or just keep pressing the lens release button when turn the adapter? --these are the only two things that stick out...

see two replies posted when I was typing -- what a great forum! :-)

01-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for those tips! It is NOT The focus screw (at 4 o'clock position) as I can lift up the flange bit at that point and it is not getting stuck.

Nothing is getting stuck in the openings either as I can look into them.

It seems to be stuck under the internal lens mount flange at the 11-2 o'clock position.

Metal flange on the adapter too thick perhaps?
01-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This forum is great! Tried all the suggestions by you guys and finally I got the adapter to come off.

For those who experience the same problem in the future, I tightened the M42 lens on the adapter very firmly (so it doesn't screw off when I try to rotate the lens) and asserted a lot of downward pressure on the lens while simultaneously rotating it anti-clockwise.

I suspect that the camera-side flange on the adapter that sits inside the body under the lens mount flange is fractionally thicker then the one on a Pentax K-mount lens and consequently got stuck.

I won't be using THAT adapter again.

I guess all the pundits were right: ONLY use the genuine Pentax adapter OR convert your M42 lenses to K-mount.

Thank you for all your help!

Saved my K-7 from being a permanent M42 mount camera
01-07-2016, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
ONLY use the genuine Pentax adapter OR convert your M42 lenses to K-mount.
There you go. As often as it gets said to only use the OEM one the allure of those cheap ones always seems so attractive. And to be fair, a lot of the cheap ones do work fine, but it is a bit of gamble. Also, that flanged adapter would not have allowed infinity focus I do not think. Not sure if you tested that while you had the lens on.

01-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not had any problem with exactly similar adapters. They are cheap and so suffer from manufacturing variances/inaccuracies and occasional rough edges. If you look closely at it you may well see a mark left where it was catching. A few moments with a file or emery paper may well fix things.
01-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And to be fair, a lot of the cheap ones do work fine, but it is a bit of gamble
CHeap ones work fine for me, I just remove the spring first so it's just held on by friction.
01-07-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Saved my K-7 from being a permanent M42 mount camera
Which is not the worst setup!

More and more I go out with a Takumar-only kit.
01-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the genuine adapter and a Kalt (new old stock) both work great.
01-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
CHeap ones work fine for me, I just remove the spring first so it's just held on by friction.
I know. Your gamble paid off. And for casual use those are just fine, I used one affixed permanently on my 400mm and 300mm because I did not want to have to screw those long lenses on / off. But there are too many bad experiences for me to ever really trust them or feel confident in recommending them to another photographer.

I bought a pack of 5 when I got mine and threw two of them away because they were so poorly made. The other three were fine but then you have to remove the springs. If you got a good one first time you won, good for you. For me I bought 5 and had only three usable and those with reduced functionality. When all done, the cost was not that much different than just getting a real one to begin with. YMMV of course, which is why we have options.
01-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I've not had any problem with exactly similar adapters. They are cheap and so suffer from manufacturing variances/inaccuracies and occasional rough edges. If you look closely at it you may well see a mark left where it was catching. A few moments with a file or emery paper may well fix things.
Yes, because it is anodized black aluminium the mark where it was catching is very clear!

It was right on the corner edge of one of the internal flanges.

Still, I won't use that one again. That type loses infinity focus anyway. I just used it because it came with the lens, an old but VGC TASMAN AUTO 135mm 2.8/f. I suspect it's a rebadged Cosina.

Time for the real McCoy I think
01-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I routinely use the flanged ones for close focus shots, they are easier to use. And with lenses like my helios 44 the fit is much better (because of the narrow base of the lens) and there is no light leakage.

This was a previous thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302385-prev...-solution.html
01-08-2016, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't bet on the actual Pentax adapter either. I have one and it got stuck on one of my film cameras once. It took a little bit of missing with it, but I finally got it off. Still don't know why it got stuck.