Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

malfunction of shake reduction in K-5

Impossible to get shake reduction to work when taking photos (freehand) with my pentax k5 (used to work OK until recently). The symol for shake reduction displays with gray color, impossible to choose in the menu. (in video mode, it is possible to choose shake reduction.
Any suggestions??
Knufo

01-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knufo Quote
Impossible to get shake reduction to work when taking photos (freehand) with my pentax k5 (used to work OK until recently). The symol for shake reduction displays with gray color, impossible to choose in the menu. (in video mode, it is possible to choose shake reduction.
Any suggestions??
Knufo
Can you post an image with the exif intact? Some settings disable the SR, like using the 2 second timer. Maybe we can see which settings you are using and if something needs to be turned on or off.
01-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your shooting mode settings. Likely you are in 2 second delay or remote control. Move it to regular shooting and re-test.
01-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Try a factory reset if all else fails.

01-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Can you post an image with the exif intact? Some settings disable the SR, like using the 2 second timer. Maybe we can see which settings you are using and if something needs to be turned on or off.
I used "continues high"
bw Knut
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I don't think continuous shooting turns of SR, but I could be wrong...
01-07-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used "continues high"
bw Knut
I'm not seeing anything unusual in the settings that the forum shows. But here's the text from the manual regarding SR

The Shake Reduction function automatically turns off in the following situations. Note that the SR function cannot be selected when the following functions are set.
- B (bulb) mode
- Self-timer shooting
- Remote Control shooting
- Mirror Lock-up shooting
- when [Auto Align] is set to [] (off) in the [HDR Capture] setting
- when using the flash in wireless mode

So, just make sure one of these aren't set.
01-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I'm not seeing anything unusual in the settings that the forum shows. But here's the text from the manual regarding SR

The Shake Reduction function automatically turns off in the following situations. Note that the SR function cannot be selected when the following functions are set.
- B (bulb) mode
- Self-timer shooting
- Remote Control shooting
- Mirror Lock-up shooting
- when [Auto Align] is set to [] (off) in the [HDR Capture] setting
- when using the flash in wireless mode

So, just make sure one of these aren't set.
Thank you for all support.
I can now (at home) access the menu functioun (menu 4) to change the SR-function . In the field (very cold) this function was grey and not accessible. Very annoying, hopefully this will not happen again...
Normally the camera always change to SR when turning from self-timer to continous shooting.
Knut

01-13-2016, 02:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had my SR fail on start up at times. That is, even with SR enabled, it just fails to switch on. I notice as I'm often using M, K lenses and it fails to prompt me for the focal length at times.

The solution?

Switch it off,
Give it a whack against my leg
Turn it back on.

01-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I have had my SR fail on start up at times. That is, even with SR enabled, it just fails to switch on. I notice as I'm often using M, K lenses and it fails to prompt me for the focal length at times.
Thatís probably due to the lens not electrically shorting out the contacts in the lens mount for some reason, dirt or oxide perhaps. So the camera doesnít even know that a lens is mounted and thus doesnít ask for a focal length.
01-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote

The solution?

Switch it off,
Give it a whack against my leg
Turn it back on.

Do you go "ayyyyyy" too?
01-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

The symol for shake reduction displays with gray color, impossible to choose in the menu.
Does it actually say "OFF" on the shake-reduction symbol? If it doesn't explicitly say OFF, then it should go green only when bumped or jostled, though that's pretty easy to get it to activate.