Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D wake-up

Anyone have special resuscitation tricks for a K100D that failed to wake-up after a few weeks of inactivity? Yes, all the usual fresh battery protocols have been tried with Li Energizers.

I don't have one on hand to experiment with, but are there known 'keep alive' battery/condenser issues?
No SD card installed gimmicks?

01-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K100D super wake up

After a period of weeks / months of not being used and stored minus batteries, my super is reluctant to wake up too. I have cleaned the battery contacts, tried new batteries, switched on and then the camera shows a modicum of battery charge. After re-entering the date and time info, switching off and on again then provides a fully awakened camera and showing fully charged batteries. Checking the old batteries, finding they are still full of juice and replacing them in the camera finds the camera still working, so it did not need new ones.
My assumption (in my ignorance of cameras in general) is that there is some sort of capacitor that trickles power into the camera to keep it alive and that time spent with no batteries have depleted it. Inserting batteries and switching on and off a few times seems to re-energise the camera.
Not much help there but just to let you know that you are not alone.
01-08-2016, 03:25 AM   #3

I have one solution. Violence. Put good batteries inside and hit the camera bottom with hand. There is some kind of contact problem I believe as bad handling can put batteries no power alignment.

I was able to get rid of all the problems after I bought huge third party battery grip which looks like battery and takes the battery cover inside it.
01-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I will try in a few days when I get fresh batteries and install in my 100 S, which is backup, and stored. Skodadriver, above, has some good concepts, I think.

01-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I will try in a few days when I get fresh batteries and install in my 100 S, which is backup, and stored.

Just received the new Eneloops, installed them in the k100dS, and the camera behaved good as new. So, sorry I can't help with the OP's problem.
01-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
new Eneloops, installed them in the k100dS, and the camera behaved
That was my experience some years ago with fresh Li's too.

Thanks to all for the comments.