Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Finally sold my K5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I finally sold my mint K5 with 18-55mm kit lens for $375.00! Now I'm ready to buy my K3, or K3-2. Probably going to order it from B/H Photo. Is there anyway to ensure your getting the latest stock, or at least a brand new non-returned camera? Also, what is the link to that website that will tell you how many shutter presses the camera currently has on it? Thanks!

01-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your future K3. I can't help with the B&H question, but for shutter count you can use this:

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
01-08-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tony3d. If you type in the search the forums box, check my shutter count then scroll down past the threads, I think you will find what you are looking for. I hope this helps. Cheers.
01-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When you check the shutter count of your new K-3 (II) don't be alarmed if it shows a few shots since they may trigger them at the factory before packaging them. 2, 5, or 6 is normal for a brand new camera. If it's over 10 I might be slightly suspicious, but for a 'used' camera that was returned I would expect the previous owner to have taken at least 25-50 shots just trying it out, so it would be obvious if it was used.

My K-3 was purchased used with 20,000 shots already, and I'm now over 30,000 with no issues, so I wouldn't be worried about looking at a used one on 'the Bay' or the Pentax Marketplace if you're interested in saving a few bucks. You can find some good deals on a used K-3 now that some people have upgraded to the K-3 II.

01-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys. I'll probably order it next week. Probably going for the K3-2, because I do enjoy Astronomy, and have quite a decent scope.I love natural low light photography, and the K5's sensor is what lured me to Pentax. Hoping that cramming 24 Million pixels on the same size sensor didn't cripple it to much. from what I've scene it looks pretty good. Here are some samples shot in Italy with my K5. Just love the dynamic range, and these were all Jpeg's!

Last edited by Tony3d; 01-31-2016 at 11:47 AM.
01-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Thanks Guys. I'll probably order it next week. Probably going for the K3-2, because I do enjoy Astronomy, and have quite a decent scope.I love natural low light photography, and the K5's sensor is what lured me to Pentax. Hoping that cramming 24 Million pixels on the same size sensor didn't cripple it to much. from what I've scene it looks pretty good. Here are some samples shot in Italy with my K5. Just love the dynamic range, and these were all Jpeg's!
Very nice shots! I expected to see an f/2.8 or wider aperture since they look pretty sharp with so little noise; I had to laugh when I looked at your EXIF tags and saw that you used the 18-135. I keep saying that the 18-135 really can take some impressive pictures if you use it right, especially at normal viewing sizes. It's pretty much been my go to lens up until I got a 17-50 f/2.8 for Christmas, but it's still my favorite lens to use outside.
01-09-2016, 03:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Very nice shots! I expected to see an f/2.8 or wider aperture since they look pretty sharp with so little noise; I had to laugh when I looked at your EXIF tags and saw that you used the 18-135. I keep saying that the 18-135 really can take some impressive pictures if you use it right, especially at normal viewing sizes. It's pretty much been my go to lens up until I got a 17-50 f/2.8 for Christmas, but it's still my favorite lens to use outside.
I agree. The lens really impressed me as well! I think I really got a good copy of it. Very little to complain about. I'm very excited about not having the Anti-aliasing filter built in! Also, plan to play with pixel shift as well. Sold the K5 for $375.00 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I think they got a good deal. Don't think I'll miss the flash on the K5-2. Never really used it much. Just wonder how that might effect resale though. Do you think I'll have any trouble getting new stock from B/H Photo at this late date. By the way, I checked the shutter clicks on my K5. Only had 6784! I better get out with my K3 a bit more LOL!

Last edited by Tony3d; 01-09-2016 at 03:26 AM.
01-09-2016, 03:22 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

... The K-3 series is a much more demanding piece of kit that can require the unlearning of skills acquired on the K-5 before you'll become successful.
?????
01-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Much is written about the similarities K-3 vs. K-3 II (I might not be the brightest bulb in the marquee), but I've found there's a real learning curve between them, as well.

Come on, M, let's hear it.

What would I have to do differently? ☺
01-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Come on, M, let's hear it.

What would I have to do differently? ☺
Yes, I'm a bit puzzled by that as well! Seems to me that the techniques I'm using have served me well over the years for any camera I've shot with, so what's the big difference here? I really don't understand. Also seems to me that the K3 would be logical step up from the K5, not the K-S2. I don't know maybe I'm wrong. What's the shutter clicks have to do with anything. I've been shooting Pentax since my ME Super! Obviously Pentax thought some of those shot were good enough for my gallery on thier site. So I don't know.