Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

M42 flanged adapter question

Hi all -
I bought a flanged (non-infinity) M42 adapter to mount a Helios lens on my K-S2. I bought the flanged adapter because the Helios has a narrow base and would wobble on the normal Pentax adapter. However, when the adapter is placed on the camera, the locking pin on the camera does not extend into the hole in the adapter. Everything is lined up and the hole is big enough. It's as though the camera is not releasing the pin when this adapter is used. The adapter locks fine on my old Pentax ME. Anybody know what is going on here?
Many thanks.

01-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had to take a file to cheap adapters more than once to fix things like this.... !!
I would not be surprised if you found that the hole was just a wee bit too small.
01-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The pin on the ME could be worn. More likely the pins are on other sides of the tolerance to be within specification. Since there is probably very little QC on the adapter who knows what sort of tolerances it is engineered to.
01-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I discovered I wasn't turning it enough. What I thought was the pin was actually one of the contacts. A few degrees more and it clicked into place. Now I get to play with this lens on a modern camera. Here's to circular bokeh...Thanks much folks.

01-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, you've discovered the advantage(s) of the flanged adapter.

If you don't NEED to focus to 'infinity and beyond' - or just want a tiny bit of closer focus ( a 0.7mm extension tube?) - they do serve well and do lock the lens securely.
01-12-2016, 02:24 AM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
Hi all -
I bought a flanged (non-infinity) M42 adapter to mount a Helios lens on my K-S2. I bought the flanged adapter because the Helios has a narrow base and would wobble on the normal Pentax adapter. However, when the adapter is placed on the camera, the locking pin on the camera does not extend into the hole in the adapter. Everything is lined up and the hole is big enough. It's as though the camera is not releasing the pin when this adapter is used. The adapter locks fine on my old Pentax ME. Anybody know what is going on here?
Many thanks.
The helios not only wobbles on the infinity adapters but light pours in the 2 notches. I think this is why the 44 and the 44-2 have a reputation for excessive flare
01-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
k22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The helios not only wobbles on the infinity adapters but light pours in the 2 notches. I think this is why the 44 and the 44-2 have a reputation for excessive flare
If you are thinking of buying a thin base Helios (M39 lenses too) you should factor this problem in. An alternative might be to use a very thin washer/shim with the infinity adapter. This would permit the lens to tighten against the camera body and allow closer to infinity focus. But I couldn't find one with the required diameter.

Last edited by k22; 01-12-2016 at 07:12 AM.