Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 06:09 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new way to search the PF lens database!

Forum members have long been asking for a better way to search our Pentax lens database, and today, I'm happy to announce that the new search system is finally live! We've spent hundreds of hours preparing a new backend database to support advanced searching and standardize our existing lens data, so I hope you guys like it!

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

This system lets you search genuine Pentax lenses based on a variety of criteria, including:
  • Focal length (range with minimum and maximum, or a specific number)
  • Aperture (same as above)
  • Weight (same as above)
  • Filter diameter (same as above, applies to front and drop-in filters)
  • Lens name (partial matches supported)
  • Prime or Zoom
  • Current or Legacy
  • AF, MF, Screwdrive or SDM
  • Mount (K / Q / 645 currently supported, 67 and M42 coming soon)
  • Format (FF/APS-C for K-mount lenses)
There are also some advanced options:
  • Lens series (DA, FA, M, etc.)
  • Features (WR, tripod mount, aperture ring, macro, etc.)
  • Specific limits on zoom focal lengths (so you can specify a maximum wide and a minimum tele focal length)
  • Sorting
The list of results includes:
  • Lens series, focal length, aperture
  • Format, focusing type, weather sealing
  • Weight, filter size, optics, lens type
  • Links to user reviews/ratings and in-depth reviews
  • Spec table flyover
  • Current US pricing (for new lenses only, updated daily)
This page is also accessible through the "databases" tab/dropdown on the homepage. Once it is finalized, links will also be added to the forum navbar, and the new search system will replace the existing advanced search in the Pentax lens database.

Please report any errors in data or bugs in functionality that you might find.

Also, in the future, a comparison feature will be added so that you can compare lenses side-by-side

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #2

I get a 404 error
01-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, that's really useful and appreciated. Mahalo!!!
01-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Awesome! This is really great! Looks nice, is easy to use, finds results really quickly! Thanks for doing this

Are you looking for feedback? The focal length slider could be a little different, because right now a lot of the slider is in the tele range where 1mm or even 20mm is practically negligible. But this causes the wide angle part of the slider to be super small. Searching for lenses between the range 14 and 18mm is a bit difficult, even though it is more common than searching for lenses between 305 and 359, for example. This could be solved by making the slider non-linear or by allowing the user to input numbers directly, just above the slider(s). Yeah, its not a deal breaker, not even a big problem, but it would be the final polish to make this tool truly perfect

01-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That sounds awesome. Hopefully I'll need it sometime soon.
01-11-2016, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I get a 404 error
Should be fixed now. There is no mobile version of the search page at this time, so you'll be redirected to the full site. Should work fine on tablets.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you looking for feedback? The focal length slider could be a little different, because right now a lot of the slider is in the tele range where 1mm or even 20mm is practically negligible. But this causes the wide angle part of the slider to be super small. Searching for lenses between the range 14 and 18mm is a bit difficult, even though it is more common than searching for lenses between 305 and 359, for example. This could be solved by making the slider non-linear or by allowing the user to input numbers directly, just above the slider(s). Yeah, its not a deal breaker, not even a big problem, but it would be the final polish to make this tool truly perfect
I have given this some thought, and there are two feasible options: either reducing the range, or allowing the user to type in the values. I think I'll opt for the latter, since it will offer the most flexibility.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Very useful. Thanks for all the hard work behind the scenes.
01-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice job.
I think this may come in useful to fuel LBA...

01-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
a5m
Site Supporter

Thanks Adam this will definitely be easier then hitting the back button a bunch of times.
01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
mee
Site Supporter

This is very nice! I was desiring this level of searchability a couple months ago when I was perusing the database and now.. here it is. Read my mind.

Only wish is you would allow the dark color theme to work over there.. bright white is eye searingly.. bright.
01-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Awesome! This is really great! Looks nice, is easy to use, finds results really quickly! Thanks for doing this

I ultimately went with the non-linear idea, though I might also make the slider wider based on feedback. Is it easier to use now?

Also, you can always type in an exact focal length via the URL. The URL changes every time you change the search parameters for easy bookmarking and sharing

Adam

01-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

@Adam
Can you add a link to this under "Lenses" on the top bar of PF.
01-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #13
mee
Site Supporter

Could we please also get an option to include 3rd party K mount lenses??
01-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
@Adam
Yes, but it won't be possible for a while since our third-party spec lists are incomplete. With community help things might go faster- I'll post details on this later.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Once the page is finalized

Adam

01-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, but it won't be possible for a while since our third-party spec lists are incomplete. With community help things might go faster- I'll post details on this later.
I think you meant to quote @mee; there

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Once the page is finalized
OK, saves us having to find this thread

Last edited by bertwert; 01-12-2016 at 08:09 PM.