Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 06:09 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
A new way to search the PF lens database!

Forum members have long been asking for a better way to search our Pentax lens database, and today, I'm happy to announce that the new search system is finally live! We've spent hundreds of hours preparing a new backend database to support advanced searching and standardize our existing lens data, so I hope you guys like it!

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

This system lets you search genuine Pentax lenses based on a variety of criteria, including:
  • Focal length (range with minimum and maximum, or a specific number)
  • Aperture (same as above)
  • Weight (same as above)
  • Filter diameter (same as above, applies to front and drop-in filters)
  • Lens name (partial matches supported)
  • Prime or Zoom
  • Current or Legacy
  • AF, MF, Screwdrive or SDM
  • Mount (K / Q / 645 currently supported, 67 and M42 coming soon)
  • Format (FF/APS-C for K-mount lenses)
There are also some advanced options:
  • Lens series (DA, FA, M, etc.)
  • Features (WR, tripod mount, aperture ring, macro, etc.)
  • Specific limits on zoom focal lengths (so you can specify a maximum wide and a minimum tele focal length)
  • Sorting
The list of results includes:
  • Lens series, focal length, aperture
  • Format, focusing type, weather sealing
  • Weight, filter size, optics, lens type
  • Links to user reviews/ratings and in-depth reviews
  • Spec table flyover
  • Current US pricing (for new lenses only, updated daily)
This page is also accessible through the "databases" tab/dropdown on the homepage. Once it is finalized, links will also be added to the forum navbar, and the new search system will replace the existing advanced search in the Pentax lens database.

Please report any errors in data or bugs in functionality that you might find.

Also, in the future, a comparison feature will be added so that you can compare lenses side-by-side

Attached Images
 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Member
Bunch's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 220
I get a 404 error
01-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,140
Wow, that's really useful and appreciated. Mahalo!!!
01-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,331
Awesome! This is really great! Looks nice, is easy to use, finds results really quickly! Thanks for doing this

Are you looking for feedback? The focal length slider could be a little different, because right now a lot of the slider is in the tele range where 1mm or even 20mm is practically negligible. But this causes the wide angle part of the slider to be super small. Searching for lenses between the range 14 and 18mm is a bit difficult, even though it is more common than searching for lenses between 305 and 359, for example. This could be solved by making the slider non-linear or by allowing the user to input numbers directly, just above the slider(s). Yeah, its not a deal breaker, not even a big problem, but it would be the final polish to make this tool truly perfect

01-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,772
That sounds awesome. Hopefully I'll need it sometime soon.
01-11-2016, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I get a 404 error
Should be fixed now. There is no mobile version of the search page at this time, so you'll be redirected to the full site. Should work fine on tablets.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you looking for feedback? The focal length slider could be a little different, because right now a lot of the slider is in the tele range where 1mm or even 20mm is practically negligible. But this causes the wide angle part of the slider to be super small. Searching for lenses between the range 14 and 18mm is a bit difficult, even though it is more common than searching for lenses between 305 and 359, for example. This could be solved by making the slider non-linear or by allowing the user to input numbers directly, just above the slider(s). Yeah, its not a deal breaker, not even a big problem, but it would be the final polish to make this tool truly perfect
I have given this some thought, and there are two feasible options: either reducing the range, or allowing the user to type in the values. I think I'll opt for the latter, since it will offer the most flexibility.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
pjv
Eager To Learn
pjv's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,628
Very useful. Thanks for all the hard work behind the scenes.
01-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,884
Nice job.
I think this may come in useful to fuel LBA...

01-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
a5m
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 473
Thanks Adam this will definitely be easier then hitting the back button a bunch of times.
01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,257
This is very nice! I was desiring this level of searchability a couple months ago when I was perusing the database and now.. here it is. Read my mind.

Only wish is you would allow the dark color theme to work over there.. bright white is eye searingly.. bright.
01-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Awesome! This is really great! Looks nice, is easy to use, finds results really quickly! Thanks for doing this

Are you looking for feedback? The focal length slider could be a little different, because right now a lot of the slider is in the tele range where 1mm or even 20mm is practically negligible. But this causes the wide angle part of the slider to be super small. Searching for lenses between the range 14 and 18mm is a bit difficult, even though it is more common than searching for lenses between 305 and 359, for example. This could be solved by making the slider non-linear or by allowing the user to input numbers directly, just above the slider(s). Yeah, its not a deal breaker, not even a big problem, but it would be the final polish to make this tool truly perfect
I ultimately went with the non-linear idea, though I might also make the slider wider based on feedback. Is it easier to use now?

Also, you can always type in an exact focal length via the URL. The URL changes every time you change the search parameters for easy bookmarking and sharing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,884
@Adam
Can you add a link to this under "Lenses" on the top bar of PF.
01-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #13
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,257
Could we please also get an option to include 3rd party K mount lenses??
01-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,981
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
@Adam
Can you add a link to this under "Lenses" on the top bar of PF.
Yes, but it won't be possible for a while since our third-party spec lists are incomplete. With community help things might go faster- I'll post details on this later.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Can you add a link to this under "Lenses" on the top bar of PF.
Once the page is finalized

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,884
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, but it won't be possible for a while since our third-party spec lists are incomplete. With community help things might go faster- I'll post details on this later.
I think you meant to quote @mee; there

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Once the page is finalized
OK, saves us having to find this thread

Last edited by bertwert; 01-12-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, camera, database, dslr, length, lens, lenses, links, pentax, photography, search, system, type
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion Add PF-CA35 to the Lens Database pete-tarmigan Site Suggestions and Help 1 11-26-2015 08:19 PM
The nervending search for a new lens setup, help please! Don Martin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 03-19-2015 03:51 AM
A new way to browse photos on the forum Adam Pentax News and Rumors 7 05-19-2014 06:24 AM
Is there a way to search the lens review database with search queries or download it? maxxxx Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 02-26-2014 04:47 PM
List of lenses in the PF database scoring a 9+ for Bokeh/Aberrations/Sharpness Sagitta Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 04-02-2013 07:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top